Catholic Weddings
Options

Secular Opposition to Same-Sex Marriage?

124»

Re: Secular Opposition to Same-Sex Marriage?

• Options
    Nickie -- methinks you misunderstand the concept of separation of church and state.  It just means that we don't have a state religion.  From its earliest days, Christianity (or Christian philosophy) has been involved in the shaping of our laws.

Here's a secular argument: 
    There are psychologists who believe that developing children need to have parental figures from both genders (ie a mother and a father).

Of course, most agree that this can come from an aunt or uncle or grandparent since of course heterosexual couples don't always stay together, deaths happen, etc. 

I personally see no good secular argument against same-sex marriage.
  • Options
    Nickie431Nickie431 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_secular-opposition-to-same-sex-marriage?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:30ac7cdd-240c-43ea-9d18-77fb12005556Post:2b9440bd-836f-4ae9-a482-c9fcf29c6592">Re: Secular Opposition to Same-Sex Marriage?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Secular Opposition to Same-Sex Marriage? : I read through this whole thread and did not see direct responses to some of the questions Nickie just asked. I honestly appreciate the way this thread has gone.  With a few exceptions, everyone has been pretty civilized, considering the emotions the topic brings up in almost everyone. Also, didn't see this coming, did you Nickie?  ;)
    Posted by professorscience[/QUOTE]

<div>Haha, you're right, Prof!  I expected several replies from the Catholic ladies, and while I know this is a hot-button topic, I didn't think the question I originally posed would garner such reaction.  Either you believe there's a secular reasoning for opposing same-sex marriage (and thus share it) or you don't believe there is one (and thus say so).</div><div>
    </div><div>I did read all the replies and also did not see my second set of questions directly addressed.  I think the crux with which I'm grappling is Catholic social justice teaching and the role conflict I unfortunately sometimes feel between being a devout Catholic Christian and a proud American.  I'm seeking to learn whether others experience this as well and discuss.</div>
    "Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are Mine!" (Isaiah 43:1)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_secular-opposition-to-same-sex-marriage?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:30ac7cdd-240c-43ea-9d18-77fb12005556Post:a730095f-3873-42f2-8ac6-0524c349e9b2">Re: Secular Opposition to Same-Sex Marriage?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Princessro, your argument that procreation is the main interest of the state--or at least was, historically--does not account for why it was ok for people who didn't want or couldn't have children to marry, or why polygamy has historically not been legal. 
    Posted by jessicabessica[/QUOTE]

<div>Common knowledge of history, however, does. Prior to the twentieth century there were no seriously reliable methods of birth control. It was also a common expectation that couples did not have sex until they were married. </div><div>
    </div><div>No birth control = no childless-by-choice folks. As organisms, we've understood that sex = babies for millenia. If you get married and have sex without birth control, you have to assume you will eventually have babies.</div><div>
    </div><div>No sex before marriage = no way to know if a heterosexual couple is infertile. Also, lack of modern medical technology means no way to know for sure that a couple is infertile. </div><div>
    </div><div>Polygamy has been illegal in Western civilization because Western civilization is Christo-normative, and the Christian bible forbids polygamy after the new convenant. Similarly, polygamy has been (and continues to be) legal in many non-Western civilizations that are not Christ-normative. </div><div>
    </div><div>FTR, I'm sitting with the poster who said that the State should get out of the business of recognizing and rewarding romantic love all together. For my money, there is no longer any reason for the state to care who is "married" and all benefits that are exclusively for married people should be discontinued. Marriage should be a social, not legal institution. </div>
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards