Catholic Weddings

How to re-use church flowers?

I'm starting to think about how we want to decorate the church and I definitely want small bunches of flowers on the pews as opposed to bows. But I don't want all these cute bunches to go to waste, where could I use them at the reception? 

What is everyone doing with their church arrangements? 

Re: How to re-use church flowers?

• We had two hydrangea wreaths on the front doors of the church which the florist transferred to the front doors of the country club.  The one arrangement on the altar was moved to a table in the entryway there as well.  I can't remember what we did with the pew flowers.

We used all the above at the day after brunch as well.
  • We have actually been told by the church that any flowers used to decorate the church--pews, altars, etc... have to stay there.  So before you plan something you might want to check with the church and your pastor to see if the arrangements needs to stay.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_how-to-re-use-church-flowers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:370fd6d1-d292-45e8-bb03-da557e42fb9bPost:bad31646-a82d-4a01-a15d-bdc2f7196a29">Re: How to re-use church flowers?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We have actually been told by the church that any flowers used to decorate the church--pews, altars, etc... have to stay there.  So before you plan something you might want to check with the church and your pastor to see if the arrangements needs to stay.
    Posted by jdandrea[/QUOTE]

haha, We were told that any flowers had to be removed after the ceremony.  Wonder who makes up these rules ;)
  • For us it's the flowers on the back altar have to stay there for the church's use, but we can choose to move or leave the other arrangements. We also aren't allowed to use wire or tape on the stair railings outside or the pews to hold anything on there, which I do get because they don't want damage. I have a diagram of where all arrangements are allowed to go. All of this is part of my 24 page contract with the church. And all of that covers decorations and use rules, none of it is about the rest of the marriage stuff. I would definitely ask your pastor or the church's wedding co-ordinator if they have any rules about this stuff before you plan to re-use. 
  • Make sure to ask about decorating the pews, too.  I know that wasn't allowed at our church.

As for reusing them, PPs have given great suggestions.  We left the altar arrangements as a donation for the masses that week.  I would also suggest seeing if there's another wedding earlier or later than yours that day -- our church actually offered to coordinate with another couple that was planning on getting married the same day as us so that we could split the cost of the altar flowers and just both use them (and then they decided to get married at a different church, but whatever). 
    Anniversary

• any flowers you buy for the altar it may be nice to offer to leave them for the weekend masses.

pew decor they probably will want removed.  no clue what to do with it at your reception site tho.

another nice idea is to donate any flowers to a nursing home.
  • I had someone take the small sunflowers that we used as pew decorations and I used them for the centerpieces. They were very simple centerpieces, but I just got a variety of glass bowls and had them put on mirrors that the hall provided, and had her fill them with water and float a (cut) flower in them.

I think we had 4 altar flower arrangements (2 for the high altar, and 1 for Mary and Joseph each,) and I think I left 2 and had the other 2 taken to the reception, and put somewhere like next to the place cards.
    Anniversary
  • We were told that whatever decorations we used for the ceremony was to stay (minus the pew bows). Just to be one the safe side, I'd suggest you ask so as not to offend anyone.

Anniversary
  • says the west coast to the east coast

:P
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards