Catholic Weddings
Options

Annulment

My FI is meeting with his priest tomorrow to talk about getting his previous marriage annulled.  I'm so nervous.  We both really want to be able to get married in the Catholic Church.  We are definitely hoping to hear good news and that the annulment won't be a total nightmare to go through although I do understand it is something that takes time and is not meant to be easy, I'm so nervous!
Photobucket

Re: Annulment

• Options
    ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    How bad will it be?

if it's just an annulment for form, a few months.

More complicated, such as if he was married in the Catholic or another Christian church, longer.  Mine took about 6 months but I've heard longer than that.  It probably depends on your diocese and how busy they are at the time.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    He wasn't married in a church at all.  I think it falls under lack of form because he did not have permission to marry outside of the church.  When I was talking to one of the women who worked at the church she said it could take up to a year.  I'm just worried about having to change the wedding because the annulment hasn't finished.  I'm just so nervous because, we have obviously never gone through this before and we both want to be married in the Catholic Church.  I know its not likely he won't be able to have it annulled but it still makes me nervous!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    So your FI is Catholic, but married civilly, not in a church of any kind? If that's the case, he should be able to get an annulment for lack of form. I got one, and it was a $25 fee, and took about 6 weeks. It was not a big deal.

Now, my FI, who is not Catholic, was married previously in a church. Even though he's not Catholic, he has to go through the long form annulment, and that can take 18 months, even up to two years. Our diocese is extremely busy. We have had many struggles about what to do with our wedding, and received a lot of misinformation along the way.

Whatever you are told, double check it. Call the tribunal directly just to confirm what the priest tells you. Trust me, it will save you a lot of heartache. If it is confirmed that he can do the lack of form, get the paperwork submitted ASAP and get it out of the way as quickly as possible.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_annulment?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:37e3cebf-dbd0-4856-b185-2660a28fa9a3Post:41dcd26d-c492-4719-a567-e0bd0996c6d0">Re: Annulment</a>:
    [QUOTE]He wasn't married in a church at all.  I think it falls under lack of form because he did not have permission to marry outside of the church.  When I was talking to one of the women who worked at the church she said it could take up to a year.  I'm just worried about having to change the wedding because the annulment hasn't finished.  I'm just so nervous because, we have obviously never gone through this before and we both want to be married in the Catholic Church.  I know its not likely he won't be able to have it annulled but it still makes me nervous!
    Posted by greeneke2[/QUOTE]

well, I hope you live in a diocese that's not jammed up before you get there!  I see you have a bit over a year to go.

GL
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Sorry, don't mean to nag but could you possible downsize your siggy?

It takes up half a page!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Sorry about my sig!  Yea I'm hoping our diocese isn't jammed up either, I'm just really hoping everything goes smoothly so we can get married when we planned!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    hey, thanks!

best wishes with the annulment and the wedding!
  • Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    good luck!
    dont book anything until you have the annulment confirmed.
  • Options
    aimers1525aimers1525 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My FI was married previously, but not in the Catholic church. He is Catholic, so he had to get a nullity (different than annulment).  It didn't take much time at all to be approved by the archdiocese, but he had to have the following: a copy of his previous marriage certificate, his divorce decree and two witnesses had to confirm he was no longer married (this was a form that his parents filled out and got verified by their parish priest).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Calypso unfortunately, we kind of jumped the gun and my parents already booked our reception site with a 50% deposit (yikes I know!)  We did this because I originally thought that since he wasn't married in any church that he wouldn't need an annulment, I didn't realize until I came to these boards and starting talking with my church that he would.

Luckily, he saw his priest today and he was told that his previous marriage would be filed under lack of form and they are going to submit his paperwork as soon as FI gets a copy of his baptismal certificate.  And luckily, the priest said that it would take at MOST 2 months to be approved!  I hope everything goes as planned, and I can finally take a big sigh of relief!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    oh, good!  hopefully it goes quickly and smoothly.

otherwise, the reception hall might be ok with you canceling on your date (especially if its a popular time of year, knowing they can rebook it) provided you rebook with them for another date.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well, luckily I had already spoken with my reception venue about the possibility of needing to change my date (my FI is in the military, so it is kind of hard to 100% plan a wedding for a certain day, since I don't know when he will be training, leaving for deployments etc.) so if it is absolutely necessary I know it will be okay!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    lisarene77lisarene77 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Don't count on it being 2 months.  I hate to scare you but we are still going thru one for my FI and it's been just over a year.  He isn't catholic and was not married in any church.  We just got our first approval and it's gone to the second.  However we have been told that what usually take 6-8 weeks is now taking 4-6 months. So, we're looking at it finally being over just in time to send out the invites.  i know they say not to plan anything until you get it but we didn't see a problem with it initially.  He didn't even propose until about 9 months into the process and we were never informed of a second decision.  We thought that once the tribunal said it was ok then we were good to go. I know it's not supossed to be easy but so far our experience has been a nightmare. I hope it goes much easier for you.
    Pregnancy Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic IAmPregnant Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards