Options

Catholic wedding fees

2»

Re: Catholic wedding fees

• Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    well, i will say that i do NOT agree with paid staff like choir directors for example.  back in the day, these positions were all filled with volunteers.  i'm not sure where the turn came to having paid staff - with full benefits nonetheless.  in that aspect, the church IS being run like a business and i dont agree with that.
  • Options
    Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_catholic-wedding-fees?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:3d100579-17aa-46d2-be95-83cf7fd30cb6Post:44be98b9-8731-4f18-b0a1-b87f1017a3e4">Re: Catholic wedding fees</a>:
    [QUOTE]well, i will say that i do NOT agree with paid staff like choir directors for example.  back in the day, these positions were all filled with volunteers.  i'm not sure where the turn came to having paid staff - with full benefits nonetheless.  in that aspect, the church IS being run like a business and i dont agree with that.
    Posted by Calypso1977[/QUOTE]

Do people who's sole purpose is directing the choir for mass get full salary and benefits? WOW I've never seen that! That would be aggregious. In the parishes I've belonged to, the choir director is also a teacher at the associated Catholic school, so they do work full-time for the school/church in addition to their choir responsibilities.
  • Options
    mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The choir director at my church is also a pastoral assistant.  I met with her several times in preparation for my wedding, and she have me background on a lot of the church's traditions.  My priest said that he depends on her to help him get things done during the day.  On any given day, I have found her filling in for the office assistant, overseeing volunteers, giving tours, managing the groundskeeper.  And I know that she is not paid an especially generous salary.  I'm sure she could make a lot more in the secular world for the amount of time she gives the parish.
  • Options
    agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Where exactly should people come from if you don't pay them?

I am a full time music director at my church. I play 4 masses on holidays (giving up Christmas and easter), 3 on Sundays (sometimes 4).

I run rehearsals during the week (a choir and a lifeteen band).I meet individually with cantors, and lessons to choir members who need help with parts. I do tons of research on new music, transcribe, arrange, write out parts, plan music for the masses, book musicians, have to say "yes" to every church function they want music at... (penance services for school, ccd, and parish, first confession, confirmation, first communion, 8th grade graduation, parish mission). I play for the school masses, and teach them what they are going to sing at mass (this is not a music teacher), extra rehearsals for Christmas, binders of music each week and extra ones for holidays and special occcasions, keeping track of the music library, meeting with grieving people to plan music for funerals, playing for the youth retreats, and youth group nights with adoration, running a monthly adoration night with music, playing for the extra masses that come along--- such as holy innocents, mass of remembrance, election vigils and benedictions.

Holy week I have a reharsal on monday, Holy thurs, Good friday, holy saturday, and 3 masses on easter morning.

Christmas weekend this year will be 7 masses within about 40 hours. I work 60 hours a week during lent and advent getting ready for holidays.

Oh yea, and I have to keep up with the liturgical rules, changing the missal, etc--going to diocesan education programs

For someone to say that I don't deserve full time status with benefits is insulting

• Options
    edited December 2011
    agape, all i'm saying is that years ago these positions were filled by faithful volunteers and the job still got done.

i dont think churches need exhorbitant music programs with full orchestras.  the church i grew up going to only had an organist and a small choir.  they usually rehearsed for an hour or so prior ot mass.  if its kept small, that's a huge expense that can be avoided.  i personally dont go to mass for the musical show and "production".  in fact, a pet peeve of mine is when the musical folks arent up in the choir loft where they belong, but rather up front as if they are on stage. 

the financials at my church have a figure of $250,093 budgeted for FY11 for "compensation and benefits".  that is excluding the clergy stipends and benefits of $96,517.   i just dont think those salaries and benefits are necessary.  sure, our choir is nice, but i dont think its worth teh church spending all that money to pay someone a FT salary and benefits to do it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_catholic-wedding-fees?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:3d100579-17aa-46d2-be95-83cf7fd30cb6Post:c1eb6d30-1d08-4900-9b14-ad075d418d4f">Re: Catholic wedding fees</a>:
    [QUOTE]agape, all i'm saying is that years ago these positions were filled by faithful volunteers and the job still got done. i dont think churches need exhorbitant music programs with full orchestras.  the church i grew up going to only had an organist and a small choir.  they usually rehearsed for an hour or so prior ot mass.  if its kept small, that's a huge expense that can be avoided.  i personally dont go to mass for the musical show and "production".  in fact, a pet peeve of mine is when the musical folks arent up in the choir loft where they belong, but rather up front as if they are on stage.  the financials at my church have a figure of $250,093 budgeted for FY11 for "compensation and benefits".  that is excluding the clergy stipends and benefits of $96,517.   i just dont think those salaries and benefits are necessary.  sure, our choir is nice, but i dont think its worth teh church spending all that money to pay someone a FT salary and benefits to do it.

Just because I'm paid, does not mean that I put on a show. In fact,ALL of my musicians would never think of it that way. I dont have a full orchestra, just some faithful people who play for love of the Lord and to minister. The money aspect has absolutely nothing to do with the attitude of the musicians at church.It's a different topic entirely.

Being in a choir loft is not how to best minister music at a novus ordo mass. And because I'm off to the side, I'm able to be engaging to the participation of the people, and also see the altar. It does not mean I have a performance attitude or desire to be "on stage". I drill that home with all of my musicians. We are not performing we are leading the sung prayer.

The job of having quality music (Which is what we should all have at the highest form of prayer in our church)is a big one, especially when music is desired at all sorts of mid-week events.

Rehearsals can't happen before mass, because there is another mass going on (that I play for), and some songs require more time to learn, AND....we have to work ahead for Christmas.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    agape, you know i like you.  this isnt about you personally or your skills/abilities.

but when i see parishes struggling financially, id personally rather see paid staff let go and possibly go without music at all if it meant the parish could be spared from closure.  or, hire several part-time persons to do these jobs where at least the expense of benefits would not be incurred.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_catholic-wedding-fees?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:3d100579-17aa-46d2-be95-83cf7fd30cb6Post:53ab30f7-06a9-4ee3-a7b3-1dcfc23d7bc6">Re: Catholic wedding fees</a>:
    [QUOTE]agape, you know i like you.  this isnt about you personally or your skills/abilities. but when i see parishes struggling financially, id personally rather see paid staff let go and possibly go without music at all if it meant the parish could be spared from closure.  or, hire several part-time persons to do these jobs where at least the expense of benefits would not be incurred.

And I agree with you on that. But thats not what you orginally said. You said you didn't agree with paid staff for music, which is what I was addressing.

In my diocese, it isn't very common to have full time music directors...and if there were parishes that were struggling, they wouldn't have them. But the cathedral (which is the model), has several--- that see to a very reverent and high quality music ministry. The church in her documents calls for high quality music. This is the goal.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    well i do still think they should try to go the route of volunteers.  again, im not sure when churches got away from that.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ours was 500. I have no problem paying that. I think I would have my priorites screwed up if I complained about that cost, but then dropped thousands on the party after.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards