Catholic Weddings
Options

Collection Plate

So playing on the whole stereotype that the Catholic Church is all about money, I want to request my church not to pass the collection plate. Can I request this?

My church is costing us 2,000 including an organist and vocalist even if I have my own I have to pay up. I want my guest to enjoy the mass, so much so that I selected the priest that I felt was "accessible." And I want to promote the faith but how can I when a plate is passed around for money.

So again I ask, can I request this?
SoFla September Siggy - Hair Inspiration imageimage

Re: Collection Plate

• Options
    I've seen the offertory basket passed ONCE out of 165 weddings....and that was the choice of the couple for an offering to a specific charity they announced. 

I doubt you will find that it will be passed.

I should mention though that in general, passing a collection basket is NOT against "promoting the faith". It is Gospel that we give our time, talent and treasure, and doing so at mass teaches us that our offerings go into the bread and wine, the sacrifice, at the Eucharist. 

• Options
    Are you having your own separate Mass for your own ceremony? (It's not part of the "regularly scheduled" weekend Masses?) If it's your own Mass, then unless they have led you to believe otherwise, then I highly doubt there are any plans for a collection plate to be passed. I have NEVER seen that at a wedding.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Well I attended a wedding at my church last November and the plate was passed. My FI, back then just a BF, was kinda surprised since it is a special individual mass. My church only performs weddings on Saturday at 11:30 and 2:30 .
    SoFla September Siggy - Hair Inspiration imageimage
  • Options
    I would just ask them if this is customary.  I would imagine the only reason the plate would be passed at a wedding would be for the reason Agape mentioned.

I can see where one might find it an odd time to be asking for money, but the collection (just like at any church) is to further the good works of the church.
    Anniversary

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_collection-plate?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:696284aa-d34c-4259-a28a-114b06d5984fPost:b81a338c-854a-4e84-9adb-ed2c607d558c">Re:Collection Plate</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well I attended a wedding at my church last November and the plate was passed. My FI, back then just a BF, was kinda surprised since it is a special individual mass. My church only performs weddings on Saturday at 11:30 and 2:30 .
    Posted by PriscyScraps[/QUOTE]

Really?  I have never in my entire life attended a wedding (or funeral) where a collection was taken.

My pastor is pretty laid back on the financials though.  "Just give what you tell the Internal Revenue you give and all will be well" was a statement he made once.
  • Options
    Tami87Tami87 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    I am surprised that your church would do this too. I have also never attended a Catholic wedding with a collection plate, although I guess now that I think about it, I have only been to 3 Catholic weddings.

I agree with PPs ask if this is something that your church always does and see if you can skip it. As a compromise maybe you and your FI could provide a gift for the poor to bring up with the bread and wine. I know this was an option for us.
  • Options
    I've also never been to a catholic wedding with a collection plate either... and I've been to at least two dozen in the past 3 years.  Just ask your priest or parish wedding coordinator about it!
  • Options
    i also have never seen a plate passed at a wedding or funeral mass.  very odd.  are you even certain this will be done?

as for the general tone of your post ill refrain from comment as there have been several threads on here that explain full well the fees and why they are justified and how that total fee is often a very small percentage of your overall wedding budget.
  • Options
    Wow, how bizarre. The thought never crossed my mind, because they don't pass the collection plate at our Church on any Holy Day of Obligation, nor at weddings. Never thought to ask...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards