Catholic Weddings
Options

Readers

Would it be appropriate to have a bridesmaid and a groomsmen be a reader? I've never seen this done before, but we are having a hard time determining readers and this seemed like a good solution.

Re: Readers

• Options
    I've never seen it, but I don't know why it wouldn't be okay.

FWIW, our fathers did the readings.  We stole the idea from some friends.
    Anniversary

• Options
    Our readers were our Best Man (1st Reading), a Matron of Honor (2nd Reading) and the other Matron of Honor (Prayers of the Faithful). I don't think anyone thought anything of it. Certainly no one said anything to us.

AFAIK, the only requirements that are really put on readers is faith. Some priests like Catholic readers. Some are okay with Christian readers. Some ask that the readers believe what they read (so a Jewish friend could do the first reading, but not the second). Some don't care at all. I would touch base with your priest/marriage coordination contact person to make sure if you're concerned.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I've been to one where the matron of honor did the readings, my dad did them for my sister's, and yes our church said they don't need to even be catholic, so i think you'll be fine.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    We aren't using members of our bridal party but I've seen it done. I don't see why that would be a problem.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards