Catholic Weddings

Questions!

Feel free to add!

1.  What are your feelings/beliefs regarding tattoos and piercings?  Do you think they're immoral (besides tattoos that say/depict immoral things, obvi)?
2.  How do you feel about babies or children getting piercings?

Re: Questions!

• Oh, man. Tattoos and piercings are one of those things that I regret in a major way. growing up, my Dad was so anti-tattoos and piercings. I think it pushed me to rebel against that notion that they're tampering with God's creation. I saw it as a means of self-expression. On account of which, when I turned 16 I pierced my own ears because my Dad wouldn't let me have it done until I was 18 and in college. And when I turned 21 (a majorly turbulent year for me) I got 4 tattoos. None, thankfully, are really embarassing or depicting anything crass. And they're mostly hidden (the one on my upper spine peaks through the top of some t-shirts). But, I yearn for a financial windfall to get them removed.  I find so much more beauty in the body as it was created now, and wish I'd really had these insights before I'd gotten them.

I have a hard time being okay with babies and children getting their ears pierced. Not for the reasons of ruining or damaging the body, but because of the increasing over-sexualization of women and the trickle down to young girls. It's like the Halloween costumes for toddlers- teenagers that are basically hooker-ware. It's such a slippery slope that I'm hesitant toward letting my daughter get her ears pierced. I want to make sure she understands what is and is not appropriate before I let her take that step. And she's been pushing for it for the last 3 years (since she started school and saw so many other girls with their ears pierced). Didn't help that her 5-yr-old step-sister just got hers, and her 9-yr-old cousin. It's an on-going discussion and battle for myself. I don't want to push her into rebelling against me like I did with my Dad.

Sigh
    Ovarian cyst lapro: '01, '04, '09 Conal biopsy: '01- results negative Dilation: '03 for cervical scarring Pcos test: '05, FSH and LH normal Mirena removed July '12 My Ovulation Chart
  • 1.  For me, I don't generally have any problem with tattoos or piercings.  I think a couple of tattoos can be perfectly okay, even if they're not my style.  For piercings, I think ears or even a nose piercing can look nice, but honestly most piercings gross me out.  I think once you step into the realm of seriously altering your body -- getting piercings all down your back, or tattooing your face -- then it can become possibly immoral, but defniitely disgusting.  And maybe an indication of a mental health problem.

Personally, I have no tattoos.  I have my ears pierced (1 hole in each ear), and I got my navel pierced in HS, though I never have anything in it and haven't for years.  I'm not horribly opposed to having a tattoo, but I'd never want it in a place that wouldn't be easily hidden, and I just can't see myself paying that much money for it lol.

2.  I am not super opinionated on it, but I wouldn't get my babies' ears pierced.  I tend to think it looks a little trashy.  A couple of my sisters made the rule with their daughters that they would get their ears pierced as soon as the daughter asked for it.  For one niece, that was at 4 years old.  For another, it was at 8 or 9. 

My sister pierced my ears when I was 5 (she was in her 20s).  She drew dots on them, numbed them with ice, and put an earring through each ear.  Honestly, it kind of made earrings really un-special to me.  Plus earrings really both my ears so I just don't like to wear 'em.

• I have no problem with tattoos and piercings, on adults (assuming they're not incredibly offensive/revolting in nature).  I think they can be a means of self-expression, and some can be incredibly beautiful or meaningful.  Even tattoos or piercings that seem strange to me, or aren't really my style, I don't think of them as immoral or "ruining" the body - to each their own.  I do think people should take the time to think before getting a tattoo/piercing to make sure it's something they really want, rather than just doing it on a whim or as a moment of rebellion, but I definitely don't think all tattoos/piercings are bad.  I used to have my bellybutton pierced, but took that out several years ago when I was sick of it.  Same thing with getting my tounge pierced before college (my parents weren't even mad about it, just surprised), I had it for a year or two and then removed it when it chipped one of my teeth.  I have one tattoo on my foot - african violets, which have always been my mom's favorite flowers, and my mom even really likes the tattoo.  My sisters and I all plan to get a matching or similar tattoo at some point incorporating my dad's signature of our last name.

I can't stand when people pierce a baby's ears - at least wait until the child is old enough to decide for themselves if they want pierced ears!  Pierced ears on a young(er) child doesn't necessarily concern me regarding the issue of oversexualization - there are so many other things that come into play (clothing, media, movies, etc.).  Maybe it's just because I don't really see pierced ears as being inappropriate, but I don't think that really adds to the issue.
  • edited September 2012
    I think (besides immoral things) all body art's acceptability is culturally based. For me, I have my ears pierced (one per ear), but would never, ever do anything else. I think some tatoos are tasteful and meaningful. I think most other piercings either fall into the realm of excessively sexual or body mutilation.

I have absolutely no problem with pierced ears, but I'm not fond of people doing it to a baby. My little girl can have them pierced when she asks (and then for a special occasion, like a birthday or Christmas), but I want her to be old enough to actuallly want them and to be somewhat responsible.  I got mine done for my 8th birthday. My niece just got hers done for her 6th. We both have the same rule -- only studs. Whenever I see her, she is wearing cute little Hello Kitty or butterfly or similar studs. It's just like everything else -- clothing, swimsuits, shoes -- there is a point when it becomes sexualizing our children and it is the parents' responsibility to 1) draw a line about what is appropriate for their family, and 2) teach them to make appropriate choices when they are older.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 1.  What are your feelings/beliefs regarding tattoos and piercings?  Do you think they're immoral (besides tattoos that say/depict immoral things, obvi)?
    No issue. I only have my ears pierced because I don't want to have holes all over my face when I am trying to get a job, but I don't care if you have one. Plus, nose piercing seem to be the norm now, at least in my age group. I also have had a tattoo since I was 17 and plan to get at least two more. My mom signed off on my tattoo, it's small and very meaningful, so I don't see myself ever regretting it (I don't yet, and it's been awhile), even though a lot of people think teenagers will regret their tattoos. I see nothing wrong with tattoos if they are tasteful, meaningful, and can be covered if the situation requires. I love having long conversations with people about their tattoos. Sometimes it has been the culmination of something they were going through or working towards and the pain of the tattoo was cleansing in a way. I know this is how mine was. My main issue with tattoos is when people get them on a whim (I saw a Facebook status once: "Walked into a tattoo parlor to get one tattoo, walked out with 3.").

I don't like piercings on babies at all, but I know it's a cultural thing for some people. For children, I think it's okay, as long as they are the ones that decide they want them. I got my first piercing when I was 10, and I was late for my friends. We were old enough to know we want them and be aware that we need to take care of them.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I don't really have any problems with tattoos. My dad has 3 on his arms. He was an art student at the time. They're done very well, but they are sort of random and I think he regrets them now. Tattoos aren't for me, but on other people I have no problem as long as they arent really ruining your body, or anything vulgar.

As for ear piercing. I had mine done when I was around 4 or 5ish. I remember begging my mother. I loved dressing up, and to me earrings were so pretty. I got a 2nd hole in each ear when I was 13 or 14, which I hardly ever use. It was "cool" at the time, but now I could care less. You cant really see the hole so I don't mind.

I did have one hole stretched out at a kid, because my cousin was playing a little too rough and pulled at my big 90's earring.

I would never pierce a child's ear until they are old enough to ask. I never really think of earrings on children as sexy. I think as long as the earrings are kid appropriate there isn't a problen. I'm not crazy about gauging holes because I do feel like that is a bit of mutiliation and just generally not very attractive. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 1. What are your feelings/beliefs regarding tattoos and piercings? Do you think they're immoral (besides tattoos that say/depict immoral things, obvi)?

i was taught that it was against catholic teaching to deface or mar your body in anyway.  whether this is true or not, i dont know.  but basically it was explained to me that we receive God through communion and that we should have respect for our bodies.  it was my understanding that this is also why cremation is wrong.  my parents did relent to ear piercing when i was 14, and that was only becuase the holes can close up over time.  i would never tattoo.  ever. 

2. How do you feel about babies or children getting piercings?

i personally dont care for pierced ears on babies.
  • 1. I don't really have a problem with tattoos and piercings in moderation.  I think some tattoos are gorgeous, they're just not my thing.  I can't think of a single design I'd want permanently emblazoned upon my body.  I also find it hard to take anyone seriously in a professional setting if they're covered in tattoos.
    2. OH. MY. GOODNESS.  I can't believe how many kids are covered in piercings these days!  At my former school, any piercings other than ears were against dress code, but at the school where I teach now, EVERY kid has some ridiculous piece of metal in their face!  I just want to tear them out and be like, "YOU LOOK SO MUCH BETTER!"

I feel the same about tattoos.  I ran into a student the other day who had someone's name tattooed across the top of her breasts (and her shirt was low cut enough to reveal it).  I just wanted to be like, "SERIOUSLY."  I knew a student once who had a friend who was a budding tattoo artist who "practiced" on his younger friends.  Why would you let anyone practice something like that on you?

@Calypso: I heard recently that cremation was okay, but that scattering the ashes was not.  The idea is that one needs to be "all together" in order to be raised up?  I don't remember where I heard that, though...  and I mean, God COULD restore even the tiny ashes into a human body.  I'm sure He'd be annoyed by the task, though.  :p
    Anniversary

• Cremation is currently allowed. There was a time that it wasn't, because of the heresy of the denying of the resurrection of the body, and the church didn't want misunderstanding about this.  It isn't intrinsically wrong or right, just discipline. 

Ashes must still be buried, they may not be "spread around".
  • my godfather was cremated and to this day im still very disturbed by it.  his urn was buried in the family plot, but i didnt get to see his face when i paid my respects.

• 1.  What are your feelings/beliefs regarding tattoos and piercings?  Do you think they're immoral (besides tattoos that say/depict immoral things, obvi)?

I don't think that tattoos are immoral. My parents were super against them, which made me of course want to get one (things to remember when I have kids!!!). In college, my best friend and I made a pact that we wouldnt get tattoos until we wanted the *same* design for a full year. For me, there was nothing that made the cut!

I'd be afraid to get one also because they seem pretting addictive, based on my friends' experiences... it seems like once you get one, you want more and more and more...

FI has one, on his back :) He got it in rebellion when he was 17. He still loves it, but already I wonder how we'll be able to reconcile "You can't get a tattoo, child!" with "But Daddy has this awesome one!" Haha. I would be more than okay if he wanted to get something to symbolize his mother, though. Otherwise... I just don't see what else is so important.

Dislike for babies. 

I like the idea of letting the daughter get her ears pierced when she is old enough to ask. I got mine done when I was maybe 8 or 9 (my request). My grandfather (a physician, haha) did it, actually, super old school. I really like knowing that it's something he did for me. My mom's sister took me while my mom and dad were on a vacation (the one time they left us as kids-- never dared to do it again!) and the only thing I guess I regret in hindsight is, I'm sure my mom wanted to be there to see her only daughter get her ears pierced!!

I later got my ears double pierced (high school), and for a while had a cartilage piercing (college). It seemed easier and less permanent. (The extras are all gone now.)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    pinterest, obvi.

• 1.  What are your feelings/beliefs regarding tattoos and piercings?  I don't think I will ever get a tattoo or piercing (other than my ears which are already pierced), but I do not judge those that have piercings. One of my best guy friends has many tattoos and he is a great guy. I don't really like an excess of piercings, especially when you see people with the stretchers in their ears, but it is their body and they can do with it as they want.
    Do you think they're immoral (besides tattoos that say/depict immoral things, obvi)? I don't think they are immoral. I know plenty of religious people that have them.

2.  How do you feel about babies or children getting piercings? I have several girls in my class that have their ears pierced. I think it is very cute but do think if it were my child I would wait until they were at least 1 year old, possibly older than that. It also depends on the child and whether or not they allow their parents to care for them. I had my ears pierced young and wouldn't let my parents clean them properly, so I wasn't allowed to get them done again until I was 12 or 13.
  • I don't personally have a set oppinion about tattoos or piercings, I do think that they can be quite beautiful sometimes. However in reguards to children/babies having pierced ears, I am not opposed to it, but you do have to rember that it is a cultural thing. My family is Puerto Rican, and in Puerto Rico most baby girls leave the hospital with pierced ears. I kid you not. I think I had mine done when I was around 12 or 14 months old
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards