Catholic Weddings
Options

Priest $ Donation?

The priest that is marrying us is well-liked and a friend of my parents'. He never asked us for money, but we would like to offer him something in return for his services.
When my parents had their 25th wedding anniversary, they donated $200 to their priest. What would be the appropriate amount for our wedding, you think? Ideas?

Re: Priest $ Donation?

• Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    our priest fee was $100, and then we gave him another $100 on top of that.  we didnt want to cheap out on the ceremony services.  looking at what we spent for the ceremony and reception, we spent about 20% on the ceremony between the fees, what we gave on top of the fees, adn the altar boy tips, etc. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The customary donation is $250 for our priest according to our church's wedding guidelines.
  • Options
    Theresa626Theresa626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are required to give two hundred dollars to the priest. 
  • Options
    calli0pe00calli0pe00 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For my church, the fee is $400, but that is for everything including the musicians and cleanup.
  • Options
    lburkey21lburkey21 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm actually wondering the same thing! Our priest is my FI's childhood prist and isn't charging us a fee. His is however flying out of state to perform our ceremony so we will be coving the cost of his hotel during his stay. In addition to that, how much do you think is appropriate to donate? Or should we get him a personal gift since we are so grateful to him to come all the way to Ohio for our wedding?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lauren's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest

• Options
    edited December 2011
    The church fee for us is 300 but should we be planning on giving more to the priest?  I thought that was what the fee was.  They call it a donation
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    calli0pe00calli0pe00 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_priest-donation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:dba645b4-fb52-46b9-a6a0-712f90fcfc47Post:de16605f-c9f3-4c15-852f-6a19bd966c69">Re: Priest $ Donation?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The church fee for us is 300 but should we be planning on giving more to the priest?  I thought that was what the fee was.  They call it a donation
    Posted by chelley599[/QUOTE]
    Same here. I sure hope not, because 400 for me is already a lot!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our Church fee was $400.  Our priest actually brought up tipping.  He said that it was the way priests made money before they were paid a salary.  Now that they get a salary, tipping isn't needed.  He said that anything we gave him he would donate because others need the money.  He said that if it was small enough (around $20) he would probably take the other priest and deacon out to eat.  So we did something around $20 since he would be getting a direct use.
    My Grandparents on their wedding day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    bio
    Repeat this to your self: My Wedding Party is made of my family and friends and I should treat them as such.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our church donation is $350, but we will give the priest something extra. I did find out however, that if my priest is given cash, he has to donate it.  I know he goes to Starbucks all the time so I will pick up a gift card for there and also find out where he likes to eat and get him a gift card for a favorite eating spot.
    Crosswalk
  • Options
    Clare13Clare13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have a very good friend who is a priest and specifically asked him this question.  His answer was something along the lines of, marriage is a sacrament and the priest should not be making/receiving money for administering the sacrament.  (Ok, the sacrament is performed between the husband and wife, but you get the point.)  With that said, it is very customary for churches to collect a donation/fee for the church to perform the wedding.  Often it says the priest's fee is included in it.  He told us that if he is given money, he always donates it.  He stated small presents and token gifts he appreciates.  He is performing our ceremony and I plan on getting him a gift card and maybe a token gift.  I would suggest getting your priest a nice consumable gift that he can use.  Think candy, gift cards, etc.  I would avoid the money unless your intent is to give more to the church. 
  • Options
    dogluver315dogluver315 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There was no required fee for our priest but we did give him a $200 gift card to Bass Pro Shops because on his vacations he loves to hike and he's been all over the world.  We loved it and already knows what he's buying.
  • Options
    LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are probably going to do the gift card route for a nice dinner out as well.
  • Options
    mrsdevilguymrsdevilguy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're trying to figure out the same thing. Our church fee is $300 but the deacon told us that doesn't include anything for him, the organist or cantor.
    Kelly & Ron 10.01.10
    Photobucket
    Anniversary Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Photobucket
  • Options
    mswood1977mswood1977 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our church doesn't charge parish memebers anything for the use of the church for the wedding, but they do recommend a $200 stipend for the priest.
    image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Mommy 3 Months Old image Tristan 3 Months Old Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Jay+MarissaJay+Marissa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As an add-on, what would you recommend for TWO priests? (after not being able to find one for months we ended up with two--crazy). DF's mom asked a Legionary priest to do our wedding--he said he'd be honored and would bring another Legoniary  priest friend along too. I imagine we are going to have to pay for their travel/hotel expenses from Houston to Dallas--not sure what to donate to each of them on top of that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards