Catholic Weddings
Options

Sunday Mass Dispensation

Did anyone receive a dispensation so their (before 4pm) Saturday wedding mass counted as Sunday mass for the bridal party and guests? Ours is at 2pm.

My mom wants to have a brunch the next day, and we have loads of out-of-town guests flying out, so it would definitely help. Almost 25 years ago my parents were granted one for their noon mass, and we've heard of others...but we don't know what the official rules/guidelines are.

FMIL is horrified at the thought of "trying to skip" mass and said something about going to 5pm mass on the day of the wedding...right after our wedding mass...gah!

Re: Sunday Mass Dispensation

• Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

i know our Church has a 5pm mass on Sunday.  so in theory you could do your brunch, then go to mass late afternoon.

we were church skippers, so i have no advice on how to get the dispensation.

• Options
    ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    The officiant told us that the 1;30 Saturday afternoon wedding counted for Sunday mass.  perhaps it just depends on your priest?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i would *think* it has to depend on the church law.  if church law says it must take place after 4pm to count for sunday obligation, then the priest may have spoken in error if he was unsure of the law.  you would have an obligation to find the correct answer - you cant just follow what the priest says if you have doubts  with what he may have told you.
  • Options
    agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There is a common church law of mass at 4PM or later on Sunday counts for the obligation.

Priests also have the power to dispense someone from the obligation, however, their personal judgement on when to do this changes per priest...and some go way beyond the boundaries in granting them.

This is basically why all the confusion about different rules for music, etc per parish. THere are set official church rules that can be found in the documents. It's the enforcing of them that changes per parish.
  • Options
    Jay+MarissaJay+Marissa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks--I guess we'll just have to see what the priest says...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hmmm..I will have to ask my priest as well.  Ours is also at 2pm. We have planned on not having Communion since FI & family aren't Catholic. However, if we were to get a dispensation, I would totally go for the full mass.
    Crosswalk
  • Options
    ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_sunday-mass-dispensation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:ebb864c6-8240-40cd-9c01-18004b2a74cePost:c124534f-26fd-4654-b8d0-a6f08fbed833">Re: Sunday Mass Dispensation</a>:
    [QUOTE]i would *think* it has to depend on the church law.  if church law says it must take place after 4pm to count for sunday obligation, then the priest may have spoken in error if he was unsure of the law.  you would have an obligation to find the correct answer - you cant just follow what the priest says if you have doubts  with what he may have told you.
    Posted by Calypso1977[/QUOTE]

There were two officiants, the pastor and a deacon of the church as well as two other priests who are close personal friends of the family.  They were in agreement and they were also with us at the after  brunch.  no doubts that anyone mentioned but thanks for the opinion
  • Options
    bugsbunny_222bugsbunny_222 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My husband and I had a Nuptial Mass 11am on a Saturday, had our reception, then returned with some of our family and friends to 5pm Mass still in our wedding attire! We actually really enjoyed it and it was really special for us.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

oot, my comment about doubts was for OP, not you.  you had no reason to doubt the information give to you by your officiants.  in this case, OP has some doubts based on information she's gotten about it having to be after 4pm.  she has to confirm whether this is church law or not.  if its church law, she's bound to follow that, not the advice of her priest.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards