Catholic Weddings
Options

Anyone know a priest in North Carolina that will marry outside?

I am marrying a non Catholic and we want to have the ceremony outside, does anyone know a priest that is willing to marry outside in NC?

Re: Anyone know a priest in North Carolina that will marry outside?

• Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    this will most likely be a pretty tough find.  a catholic wedding usually takes place in a church.

you could try calling the diocese(s) in north carolina. 

if you come up empty, you could always plan an outdoor reception to incorporate that element into your day.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Usually a Catholic wedding, regardless of full mass or not, must be performed inside a church.

Ditto calypso on checking with the diocese and/or a priest at a church in your area.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you want a Catholic wedding, it is very unlikely that you will be able ot have it outside, regardless of whether your FI is non-Catholic. I agree with checking with your diocese to be certain.

If you really truly want a Catholic wedding, I second what Calypso said about incorporating the outdoors into your day in some other way such as the reception or pictures.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I answered in the Traditions board but I want to repost here.

See this FAQ for more info:

For your question:
    If a Catholic wishes to marry in a place outside the Catholic church, how can he or she be sure that the marriage is recognized by the Catholic Church as valid?

The local bishop can permit a wedding in another church, or in another suitable place, for a sufficient reason. For example, a Catholic seeks to marry a Baptist whose father is the pastor of the local Baptist church. The father wants to officiate at the wedding. In these circumstances, the bishop could permit the couple to marry in the Baptist church. The permission in these instances is called a "dispensation from canonical form."
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_anyone-priest-north-carolina-will-marry-outside?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:fbbe68cf-437a-403e-9509-36c807baee44Post:19f6984d-ed7d-49da-970e-a0af1499ee90">Re: Anyone know a priest in North Carolina that will marry outside?</a>:
    [QUOTE]IFor example, a Catholic seeks to marry a Baptist whose father is the pastor of the local Baptist church. The father wants to officiate at the wedding. In these circumstances, the bishop could permit the couple to marry in the Baptist church. Posted by clearheavens[/QUOTE]

OP, I just want to point out that this says in another suitable location -- here, a Baptist church. It is <em>very</em> unlikely that a golf course, meadow, etc. is going to be considered a suitable location.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    uhldansereauuhldansereau member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_anyone-priest-north-carolina-will-marry-outside?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:fbbe68cf-437a-403e-9509-36c807baee44Post:fbe024ca-2a2d-4bb9-8bff-5ba1c246cd84">Re: Anyone know a priest in North Carolina that will marry outside?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Anyone know a priest in North Carolina that will marry outside? : OP, I just want to point out that this says in another suitable location -- here, a Baptist church. It is very unlikely that a golf course, meadow, etc. is going to be considered a suitable location.
    Posted by bibliophile2010[/QUOTE]
    An outdoor reception could be a very nice thing, and there's no reason why you can't do that.  You just can't have a valid Catholic ceremony outdoors.  Even a dispensation for it would be very highly unlikely.  It would be best to respect the teaching of the Church on the Sacrament of Matrimony in this situation.  In my opinion, removing the ceremony from where it must normally take place can give scandal, as you would be giving the impression to people that it is permissible for Catholics to marry in any fashion they choose.  

PS- Just an aside, in case you don't already know, you do need a dispensation to validly marry a non-Catholic to begin with. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You may have an easier time if you have a civil ceremony but seek a preist to come to the ceremony to say a blessing over the couple.
  • Options
    mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you checked out some of the churches in North Carolina?  I can think of a church in California that has large picture windows instead of stained glass.  You feel almost part of the outdoors, but you're still in a church.  Also, I know of parishes in California that have large grounds and do have outdoor prayer space, so you might have the option of getting married outdoors on church grounds if you find a parish with a blessed outdoor altar.  If there was some place like that near you, that might be good options.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards