Florida-West Coast
Options

Sanibel Island or Clearwater Beach destination wedding?

My fiance and I are from Wisconsin and planning a destination wedding on either Clearwater Beach or Sanibel Island for November 2013. Since we're are not from that area (but traveling there this weekend to check out the venues we've been researching since getting engaged in January!), is one area better to hold a destination wedding on than the other? I realize it is a matter of opinion, but I'm curious what local brides think.

Based on research we've done in the last month, we lean towards Clearwater Beach, because of the venues and because it's a smidge easier for our guests to travel to (close to two airports, they can purchase Super Shuttle passes instead of renting cars, plenty of hotels for them to choose from if they opt to not reserve where we reserve a block of rooms, etc.). Seems like there a ton of things for our guests to do as well. Neither of us have been there, but something seems to be drawing us to it  - at least on paper! However, we like the shelling and unique aspect of Sanibel. I visited the island years ago, and remember how beautiful and scenic the area was and how laid back it was, too. My fiance and I are both pretty laid back, so it seems like Sanibel may fit our personalities better.

Hopefully seeing the venues we've researched this weekend will help us decide, but if anyone has some good insight for us on either location, it would be appreciated. :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Sanibel Island or Clearwater Beach destination wedding?

• Options
    Ooo you will have a lot of visiting - that's for sure! I have lived in both cities now so I Feel like I might have a good perspective. :) Clearwater is definitely going to be more bustling, more things to do, more hotels, more restaurants, more VENUES to choose from. The beach/sunset is beautiful but it is "bustling." I'm not sure if you are having your wedding on the actual beach but depending on your wedding date, the beach will certainly be busy (because of this I had my ceremony on Sand Key Beach which is near Clearwater because it's usually a little quieter).

Sanibel is very nice but it's not as much of a "city." It's absolutely beautiful though. The beach is nice, also busy usually though, beautiful sunsets (Depending on the time of year, right now the sun is kind of setting like more north so some  venues on Sanibel aren't getting that sunset, they can see it but it's off to the side). Sanibel is very laid back and it is very "island like." You rent a bike all week and just ride around enjoying the shops, beach, and restaurants! It is also much more expensive in my opinion too.

It just depends what you are looking for and how many guests you will have. I love Sanibel weddings (Casa Ybel is adorable and NO I Do not work there, lol) and usually they seem smaller and guests hang out at the resort for an extended weekend. But, I'm from Clearwater and just love all the activities, bars, restaurants there. Much more my speed but I'm more into going out. :)

Captiva Island is even MORE remote and also nice. What venues are you looking at? Tween Waters is pretty cute. Colorful cottages and a private beach out front.

Feel free to PM me! Good luck and enjoy Florida!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    M1ssJM1ssJ member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Ditto everything Krystal said. Im biased towards Clearwater Beach because that's where we got married. Depending on your guest count there are great resorts nearby the beach to hold your reception
    577906 10151197172303105 844768324 n Follow Me on Pinterest www.shoplovelivelearn.blogspot.com Anniversary
  • Options
    One thing you might want to keep in mind is that hotel accomodations on Sanibel may have minimum stay requirements of several nights, depending on the time of year.  I live an hour and a half away from the Gulf Beaches and I'm planning a Clearwater Beach wedding myself.  There are so many options for every style and budget. Google Clearwater beach weddings and you'll find a ton of information.  I'm having mine at the Clearwater Marine Aquarium - Home of Winter the dolphin from the movie "A Dolphin Tale"!  Good luck!
  • Options
    Thanks for all the great advice and thoughts, ladies! Our trip this weekend was very beneficial. Seeing both areas really helped in our decision making. We looked at Casa Ybel and the Sundial on Sanibel and the Sandpearl Resort, Hilton, and Hyatt on Clearwater Beach. All of the resorts (with the exception of the Sundial, because the ballrooms there are all under construction) were beautiful, but in the end, we're going with the Sandpearl Resort on Clearwater! The location is convenient to the airports, and we liked that Clearwater Beach has a bit more activity that our guests could explore easily. Mandalay Avenue in front of the Sandpearl was cute with all the shops, but we also liked the beach area there. The beach in general was fantastic coming from Wisconsin! While a bit bustling as Krystal mentioned, we felt it was slightly more private than the beaches by the Hilton and Hyatt. And the staff we met with were great -- very friendly and gave us many ideas. We're really excited!

Now I'm looking out my window at snow. Spring is right around the corner.

Thanks again! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards