Pennsylvania
Options

Cake: Fondant?

Hey ladies! Just wondering if anyone has any advice on the fondant style cakes.  I have heard they do not taste very well - but look amazing.  Anyone had one or tasted one?  Along those lines, anyone have a good bakery referral?  I am getting married in Clarks Summit next October.

Thanks so much!

Re: Cake: Fondant?

• Options
    pinkpinotpinkpinot member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I watched Cake Boss a few times and always wondered how it tastes.  I've heard it's good but never have tried it.  I'm absolutely no help. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sometimes a venue will remove the layer of fondant to reveal the buttercream beneath (dirty icing) when they serve it to the guests, since most wedding guests will probably not care for the taste or texture of it. It certainly appeals more to the eye than the pallet.

We tasted both chocolate flavored and vanilla flavored fondant from our baker. Both had a decent taste, but she uses a really high quality fondant - so the resulting cakes were extremely pricey. We compromised by using a fondant accent along the base of each tier. She used the chocolate flavored (tasted like a tootsie roll) and dyed it black to match our colors. PIB

My advice is when you do your tastings just ask to sample the fondant as well. HTH
    "If wine is getting in the way of your work, get rid of the work."
    Updated Bio
    E-mail Me!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    They really don't taste that great. Very sugary. Little kids love it though. But now a days a good baker can do wonders with buttercream. You can use dyes to create different colors. It doesn't have the smooth look that fondant has, but you'll just be cutting and eating it so I don't think it's that big of a deal!

Good luck and best wishes with whatever you decide!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Fondant is pretty sweet, but with a good flavor. There are so many varieties such as vanilla, white chocolate, chocolate and so on that the possibilities are endless. I usually roll my fondant out very thinly for my brides. Just give it a chance, sometimes the quality of the fondant used has a lot to do with the flavor. If you have a good consultation with a baker they will be able to find what's best for you. The fondant I use is delicious, and very beautiful.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards