California-San Diego
Options

Fondant

Hello!I was going to do my cake in fondant becuase it looks so pretty, but now I am hearing negative feedback that it tastes gross!I have never personally tasted it.  Would like some feedback from those who have....is it worth getting????

Re: Fondant

• Options
    edited December 2011
    FI *hates* fondant.  It looks really pretty, but tastes "meh" IMO.  Try it yourself before you decide.  And don't forget that if you go that route that your guests can "peel" off the fondant and eat the cake underneath (there is usually a small amount of butter cream below the fondant).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    fondant doesn't really taste like much, and it doesn't taste particularly good. It looks pretty and thats about it. I will probably have it because of the design I want but I will ask the baker I use to put a thick layer of butter cream underneath so that people can peel off the fondant and still enjoy the cake.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've only have a cake with it twice and both times I ended up setting it to the side it tasted way to sugary and was pastey in texture. I've heard however that it's only like that when it's not rolled thin enough and when done correctly you don't notice it. I love the way it looks on cakes too and think I'm going to have to try it from our baker before I really decide what to do.
  • Options
    IndiacoyIndiacoy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i really dont like fondant and where im getting my cake it costs a little extra, so im getting buttercream on my cake... and im not getting anything too over the top on my cake, so the buttercream is perfect for me... :)
  • Options
    genevingenevin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Fondant will also turn your guests mouths the color of the fondant too(I originally wanted yellow). Plus it costs more and it's hard to get fondant right.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hope this helps:My mom is a professional cake decorator and I also do cakes. I've been doing cakes virtually my entire life because of my mom. Fondant is always slightly chewy... It it just sugar gumpaste and a few other ingredients.  You don't want it rolled to thinly because it becomes clear(ish) and shows every little scratch or inconsistency. I like fondant's taste and some people love it- lots of people hate it. It's really one or the other love-hate with not much in between. It's mostly for aesthetics. In my experience most people will peel the fondant off and eat the buttercream and cake underneath. Don't be offeneded if they do, if you watch, most people will start chewing on it like candy after the cake is gone. Afterall it's just sugar.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards