Ohio-Cincinnati
Options

Floral Budget...

Ok, so here is my dillema... I am SUPER fortunate that my parents are paying for (the majority) of my wedding.  While my mom never set a budget, we have been shopping around with all of our vendors making sure that we get what we want for the best price.  BUT, I'm stuck on how to do that with our florist.  I know that when we start meeting florists, a big part of flowers is budget.  I know I want a mix of Calla lillies, roses, and gerbra daisies, but I don't know what is a "reasonable price" for these.  If you don't mind, what was your flower budget? How do I come up with a price to tell the florist? (When I ask my mom, she just says: "I'm not sure, I guess we will see what the florists say"... I think she just does not know what to expect just like I don't.
TIA and SSL!
~*Married my best friend on October 2, 2010*~ BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Floral Budget...

• Options
    hollsmvhollsmv member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I iniitally set a budget of $1000 and my florist basically laughed at me. (although she was cute about it, not rude).  I ended up spending $2500... which included: 4 RD centerpieces (used again at reception), 4 bm bouquets, 1 bridal bouquet, 10womens corsages, 12 bouts, 2 large arrangements for church, 20 single flowers (orchids) for my centerpieces (they were place on top of cakes), a large arrangement at the reception, an orchid arrangement for the cake my husband and I cut, and rose petals scattered on the cake table. I think that's all... 
    Now-- I went with a very expensive florist but my flowers were AAAMMMAZING. Stunning. Breathtaking. Can't express enough how much I loved my flowers. I think flowers make or break the look of a bridal party... so I totally blew my budget there and cut back in other areas when I saw what she was capable of. I used Sprouts. I know there are other cheaper florists out there that do good work though. so shop around.
    ok, that got long winded.sorry :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It honestly depends on the types of flowers you want and what you are looking for in terms of arrangements.  Probably the best bet is to meet with several different florists and give them a picture of what you are envisioning.  Most likely, they will take that and expand or give advice on what they think would look good based on the colors and types you are thinking about.  You can see who comes up with ideas closest to what you want and you will bw able to get a range of prices.
    At first I didn't care about flowers at all, but then after we chose our venue (2 story room) and being in that room for friend's weddings I decided that tall, full centerpieces would look best.  At first I thought I would maybe spend about $1000 on flowers and now I am spending about $5000.  Yes, pretty expensive, but we ended up going with Jeff Green at HJ Benkens and I am totally confortable with what he does.  I know our flowers will be AMAZING.  FI wants him to do a mock-up only because we want to make sure the lighting colors we choose compliment the centerpieces.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    KEJohnson04KEJohnson04 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mandy,

We are spending $800 total on our flowers... which are all gerbera daisies. If you look at my wedding website you can see what we're doing. By the way... Katie Elfers is our florist. Her quotes were half the price of the other florists we visited for the exact same arrangements. 

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I spent right at $1000 and got everything I wanted.  Review in bio though. 
  • Options
    ninjette04ninjette04 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ladies... Thanks a bunch! Kirsten, I am planning on calling her this week so hopefully she is still availible for my wedding date and I can meet with her.
    ~*Married my best friend on October 2, 2010*~ BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    One piece of advice I have that I found helpful....

I went to 3 different florists.  I got completely different price quotes for identical flowers.  Try to ask for itemized quotes (# of flowers they plan to use in arrangements).  Break down price by arrangement (boutineers, bouquets, centerpieces, etc.)  My flowers are about $1000 and I am going with Two Little Buds.

GL!
  • Options
    cassamocassamo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I would also check out affordable wedding creations in covington, ky.  The lady there is super nice and she breaks down the "recipe" for you.  This will make sure that you know exactly how many of each flower you will be getting.  That is what was causing me to get a wide range of prices.

• Options
    onlymelsonlymels member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This may sound odd but I work at krogers in the floral dept, and I'm getting all my flowers through them for about 300 dollars. The includes my bouquet, 3 bm bouquets, corsages for the mothers, 6 bouts, flowers for the center pieces, and 2 alter arangements. The alter arangements and going to be half of my flower budget on thier own.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am lurking for the first time in a long time. I recommend getting another quote. A good florist can recommend what you can cut and do to make what you want within your budget. At the same time some flowers are more expensive then others, so you might have to compromise. I loved my florist and I think she did an amazing job. Nature Nook, I worked with Lora. I think there is a link in my siggy, but not 100% sure. It has been that long. 
  • Options
    hunleyweddinghunleywedding member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    onlymels,

Which Kroger do you work at?  I am still debating real vs. silk flowers, but was going to look into Kroger for some pricing.  Is there a particular store that is better than the others?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards