Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Passport Name Change

Finally getting around to changing my name on my passport and noticed that you have to mail an original or certified copy of you marriage certificate to get the name changed.  Do they send it back?  I'm still changing my name on other things and need the original, but don't really want to spend the $40 to get another copy.  What did you guys do?

Re: Passport Name Change

• Options
    I think you have to send a certified abstract not the license. Our abstracts in the state of Ohio are $1 each. I'm sure it differs by state but I don't think they would be $40 each.
    BFP #1 8.16.10 m/c at 5w BFP #2 10.21.10 m/c at 5w4d
    BFP #3 2.15.11 EDD 10.27.11. DD born 10.29.11
    Betas @9dpo = 23 Betas @12dpo= 128.5 Betas @17dpo= 1075 Betas @21dpo =5800s
    @6w hb 114 bpm! @8w4d hb 178 bpm! @12w hb 169 bpm! @18w hb 150 bpm!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Yes, they send it back. Actually, I never even sent the original nor certified copy. I made a copy of the original and sent that. I also made a copy of my drivers license and new soc card and sent those. Maybe since my name was already changed on those that's why I had no problem not sending a certified copy of the marriage license. IDK.
  • Options
    They do send it back  But I just sent a colored copy and it was not an issue.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I also just sent them a photocopy and they even sent that back.
  • Options
    You are suppose to send your original marriage license and they do send it back... I got all mine back in less than a week of sending it.  I have heard of a lot of people sending copies or certified copies and it all of it getting sent back so I am not sure I would risk it by sending a copy.  I just put my passport at the end of my name change to do list so I knew I didn't need it for anything.
    **Blog Sale - UPDATED 04/03/2012**
    First weight loss goal - 40lbs... DONE! Second weight loss goal - 17lbs... LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    The instructions ask for an original or certified copy.  It is returned to you. I know lots of people that didn't use an original or certified copy.  Most didn't have any trouble but a few of them had to mail in an original later because they wouldn't take the color copy.  It held up the process by a few weeks. It seems ridiculous that not every person that processes passports follow the same rules but just send in what they ask for according to the instructions.  Who wants to take the chance that you get the crabby employee?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards