Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Arriving on different flights to Hawaii with new hubby :(

Long story short, my FI and I didn't end up booking the same flight to Honolulu. I am leaving LA and arriving there at 7:30pm. My FI is leaving from San Diego and arriving at noon (there's a connection in LA anyway). We both bought tickets from Delta and by the next day my FI decided to start booking his flight the flight I was on was $400 more expensive than the original price.

My question is, do you think if I call Delta and explain to them that we are on our honeymoon and would like to be together they will be nice enough to help without a heavy rebooking fee?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Arriving on different flights to Hawaii with new hubby :(

• Options
    You could try; I probably wouldn't hold my breath. But it is worth a shot.

It sucks, but like PP said, if you both get to the same place on the same day, at least you aren't going to bed alone one night or something like that. You might also watch airfare prices. If the price of your flight does go down, perhaps he can switch flights (not sure on Delta's policies or whatnot).

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    You could try!  But, I don't think this is such a big deal.  I like to get to the airport early and my husband likes to just walk through security onto the plane.  It drives me crazy!  I often tell him that I'm leaving when I want and he can meet me there. 
  • Options
    I've ended up on a different flight than my FI when traveling to Tahiti. It was because the flight we were originally booked on got canceled. No big deal, IMO. I sleep most of the time anway. Of course, this is coming from someone who lives in a different state than my FI and after we get married in Australia, we have to return to two different homes. So, I'm used to being alone!

• Options
    They're definitely going to charge you a rebooking fee.  The only time they wouldn't charge you is if the plane was full and they had standby's waiting most likely.  Sorry.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Thanks everyone. I'm going to give it a try. Flying together is actually something both of us really enjoy as a couple, that's why I'm a bit disappointed. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Can I just ask logistically how this happened?  Are you going on your honeymoon not directly after your wedding?  Just curious how you would end up at different airports.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_arriving-on-different-flights-to-hawaii-with-new-hubby?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:478925ca-59db-4421-90a3-5b823eb467c5Post:e737f670-d755-4265-b8c4-cc23c144ee8c">Re: Arriving on different flights to Hawaii with new hubby :(</a>:
    [QUOTE]Can I just ask logistically how this happened?  Are you going on your honeymoon not directly after your wedding?  Just curious how you would end up at different airports.
    Posted by cbvcru67[/QUOTE]

<div>The wedding is in LA and FI is from San Diego. We are doing a Hawaii cruise which leaves 8 days after our wedding from Honolulu. We decided that I was going to buy my own ticket and FMIL was going to buy FI's. I bought mine first and forward the info to FMIL. FMIL waited till next day to book and the flight price went up $400. She freaked out (it was actually really dramatic), she yelled at me saying that it's my fault for not telling her it's a "one day deal" so now she's screwed (um...I was just using Kayak lady...). </div><div>
    </div><div>Anyway, we calmed her down and said that the ticket prices might go down next week again. The next week rolls by, and the ticket prices were down again except the flight that I originally booked was still $400 more where this other plane flying out of San Diego was the same price that I paid for my ticket.

Sorry if my post looks confusing!</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    So why didn't you just book both tickets on your credit card and then have FMIL pay you for your FI ticket?

Also, with Delta you have to pick your seats when you book your tickets so even if your FMIL had booked the ticket for the same flight a seat next to you may or may not have been available.

Are you both at least on the same flight home?

I know that you both enjoy flying together but honestly it is just one flight.  Take a book, your iPod, magazines, etc to keep you occupied or even take a nap...you both will be in Hawaii having an amazing time before you know it.

• Options

If his flight is cheaper, why don’t you see if they can change you to his flight?  They will be more likely to do that than to change him to yours.

• Options
    I know when I was planning my first trip I didn't know anything about airfare or how any of that worked. One day the flights would be $450 and the next they would be under $300. The times and availability changed so fast too. We almost ended up in the same situation you did but luckily I had been doing so much looking that I was scared we were going to have to travel seperately if we booked at different times.

I completely understand how it happened. Unfortunate circumstances. You can see what you can do with the company, but if it doesn't work, at least you know that you will be havign a great honeymoon together. :-)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards