Connecticut

Is it OK to wear champagne/gold as guest to "black tie optional" wedding?

I love the dress and it's super elegant, but now I'm wondering whether anyone will think it's too close to ivory. I don't want to offend anyone! Here is the link to the dress..

http://www.vonmaur.com/Product.aspx?ID=63403&source=googleps

What are your thoughts? Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated!

Re: Is it OK to wear champagne/gold as guest to "black tie optional" wedding?

• I couldn't really get a great idea of the color from the pic. Love the dress. But my rule of thumb not just for weddings is if I'm questioning if I should wear something then it's safer to go with another pick!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jjswinjjswin member
    First Comment
    I don't think it looks like Ivory, but sometimes a pic online can be totally different. I would make sure they have a good return policy in case it is to "light" and you want to go another route.
  • I agree with dancegurl...if I'm on the fence I wouldn't wear it...it would make me too nervous.  It is a beautiful dress though...too bad it doesn't come in another bright color!
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited July 2012
    I think it depends on the bride.  Are you close enough to her to ask?  I know I wouldn't have a problem - my grandmother has decided she's wearing a long ivory lace dress, and I just roll my eyes and chuckle.  Any shade of gold knee-length dress like that, I wouldn't even notice.

Otherwise, I agree with the other girls - when in doubt, go with something else.

Anniversary

• To me the dress looks gold and the description says gold so I think it's okay.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Its a pretty dress!

I agree with the other ladies, if you aren't comfortable b/c of the color, I would pass
  • I agree with calindi that it depends upon the bride. My MOH's mom, who's also my Godmother, wore a white shirt to my wedding. I didn't even realize she did this until yesterday (2+ weeks after the wedding) because I was looking through pictures. 

So ask the bride if you can. I think it's a beautiful dress either way! 
  • I definitely think it depends on the bride, however, I had a really good friend wear a yellow dress to my wedding that had small white flowers printed on it.  In person it looked yellow, but when I looked at our wedding photos her dress looked completely white.  When she saw pictures she was horrified that it looked like she wore a white strapless gown to my wedding.  So, with that being said, sometimes colors photograph differently too.  If you're concerned about the color or wouldn't want to be photographed in something that might look very close to white in pictures, then I say opt for a different dress.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Thanks for all the feedback, ladies! I ended up ordering the dress online, but haven't received it yet. I'll make a decision once I actually see the color in person, but I made sure there was a good return policy, just in case. You make a good point that if I'm still unsure about it, it's probably better to go with another option. I just love the dress! It did come in some brighter colors (bright blue and magenta) but I was worried those colors might be too loud for a formal wedding. Haha, I'm sure I'm completely overthinking this, I just don't want to stand out!

Thanks again for your help! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards