Connecticut
Options

Photographer and Videographer? What would you do?

I'm a bit confused about what to do with the whole photographer and (maybe) videographer...  My sister married in December and although I LOVED both her photographs (the whole package) and the video, I don't suspect I'll be able to do both within my budget, using her same vendors.

What would you do?  Would you opt to pay a less for a photograher who you've seen their work (but have not worked with) in order to have a videographer as well...or would you go with the better photographer who you've worked with before and loved their work???  My sister's photographer and her assistant were SO engaging and really captured the day - I fear not getting the best pictures...maybe that says it all.

Re: Photographer and Videographer? What would you do?

• Options
    starrbuk13starrbuk13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    the choice i made was better photographer, no videographer.  but after the wedding, i wished i had gotten a videographer...there's just so many things that pictures don't capture.

maybe you can go with your top choice photographer, and find a cheaper videographer?  for example, film students often jump at the chance to do weddings, and they are cheap!  (my sister's BF used to do this when he was in college...he and 3 friends would use 4 cameras, for like, $400!)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    you could go with the good photographer (which you are obviously in love with lol) and maybe just ask one of your friends or relatives to setup a video camera on a tripod during your ceremony so you can have some sort of video as a keepsake.

House Renovations
    Married Bio

I am a gluten-free, gun-toting wife! :P

I love you, Daddy...2/24/1953 to 2/13/2011image
  • Options
    Vanessa630Vanessa630 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_photographer-videographer-would?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:c61fded3-c9b7-4507-ac21-3a248285021fPost:c384182c-83ba-4632-9443-7c9c5cee2039">Re: Photographer and Videographer? What would you do?</a>:
    [QUOTE]the choice i made was better photographer, no videographer.  but after the wedding, i wished i had gotten a videographer...there's just so many things that pictures don't capture. maybe you can go with your top choice photographer, and find a cheaper videographer?  for example, film students often jump at the chance to do weddings, and they are cheap!  (my sister's BF used to do this when he was in college...he and 3 friends would use 4 cameras, for like, $400!)
    Posted by starrbuk13[/QUOTE]

<div>I agree. I would definitely go with your top choice photographer and also find a cheaper videographer. </div><div>What would your leftover budget be for videographer if you went with your top choice photographer? </div>
  • Options
    wrdgirlwrdgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Get a great photographer and find a cheap videographer.  My opinion is photographers make things look beautiful and videographer is just there to capture motion.  I don't care for the fancy movie-style video.  If that's what's ok for you then a cheap videographer would be budget-friendly.

In fact you can probably hire a student from a film school who can probably do it even cheaper.

Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    For us, choosing a photographer was high on our list of priorities. I love photography and looking through old picture albums, so a high quality photographer was a MUST!

Originally, we weren't planning on having a videographer, but seeing all the video trailers from the ladies on the board, we might try to squeeze it in. As our planning continues we will assess where we are in our budget and if possible plan for a videographer. If its not in the budget we'll probably have someone set up a tripod in the back to capture the vows.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    planning bio
  • Options
    kls114kls114 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

I agree, go with the photographer you LOVE & find a cheaper videographer! I think videography is just as important but you don't have to break the bank!

GL!

~Miss.~
    ~Mrs.~
    **Password: kls114**
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree as well- we went for our top choice photographer, and plan to get a cheap videographer. If you are really hard pressed though to do that- there are SO many great photographers that you can choose from and get recommendations on here that someone would be able to recommend a reputable photog to you for less.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Agreed. We weren't going to get a videographer, but then realized, if we are spending all this money already, what's another XXX?! We didn't want to pay all this money and not have the event itself (the vows, etc.) captured.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
     I guess I'm kinda opposite of what some of the ladies are saying here.  I've realized (now that the wedding is over) that I'm soooooo glad that I went with a top notch videographer.  I went with a budget friendly photographer that I absolutely love (and gave us amazing pictures).  They were within our means, and lower in cost (and better in quality) than many I looked at.  Going with a more modest choice on that end afforded us the extra money to put toward a ridiculously phenomenal videographer.  There are so many moments that I never saw at the wedding and so much emotion and detail that can only be fully captured in a video.  The pictures are amazing, but I really feel like I can relive the wedding from the video.... it's not just what I have stored in my memory... which will eventually fade with time.  We had originally decided to not have a videographer, but I'm so glad that one of my friends convinced me that I would regret it later... it really is about reliving the moment and seeing the things that you weren't present for.

If you want to see our pics and video trailer, message me and I'll send you links.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i am going with my budget busting photographer because I am obsessed with him. One thing he recommended was to ask him for videographer references bc photogs can often clash with a videographer and vice versa.

his recommendation was this guy who was expensive but I spoke with him and he said he could take the raw footage for a lesser price and just have it until we might want to make a video out of it when we have more money
    Which I thought was an awesome compromise

Also I know that they will be able to work well together

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    After seeing lots of my friends get married over the last year or so, i can confidently tell you that you NEED to have a "videographer". I put videographer in quotes because i think there is a huge difference between a professional videographer, and someone who is holding there handycam.

About a year ago, my friend had her wedding filmed by 3 friends.  They paid them 500 dollars. (or so I think)  These 3 friends were film students.  My friend hated the video, absolutly HATED IT!  I was in her bridal party, and she had the most amazing vows with her husband (or fiance at the time).  We couldn't hear them on the video at all, and now we will never hear them again, and it's devistating to her.  Also, all the footage from the reception was extremely shaky, and very dark.  We couldn't see anything that was going on. 

Needless to say, she regretted not getting an experienced professional to film the wedding. 

Another friend about 8 months ago went with a budget friendly videographer.  (i don't know the name Sorry)  and the video was pretty bad too.  The audio was a little better, but honestly not much, cause i think they only used microphones attached to the camera.  Also, personally i wasn't impressed with the reception footage either.  It was still dark, and we saw no details of anyone. Every shot they took was in slow motion, and it was so frustrating to watch.

Now I have a positive story.  My cousin used a PROFESSIONAL videographer and we all had great things to say about them.  The company was Inspiration in Motion.  We saw a wedding trailer on my cousin's facebook and we were hooked.  (we are definitly going to hire them, but aren't at that stage in our wedding planning just yet).  Then we saw the final film, and OMG!  It was so good!  The audio was crystal clear on the vows, toasts, even the special dances they had.  It really made the film amazing!  The editing style was really impressive too.  They didn't drown it with slow motion, and they used live audio to really make it watchable. 

This is why I would definitly reccomend a "videographer" and not a friend in the back with a handycam or a budget videographer, that quite frankly, is a risk and a half. 

Of course photos are still very important, but Videography is important, for a completely different reason.  Photo's won't capture your vows, toasts, dances the same way that a film can. 

GL to all fellow brides to be! :D
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards