Honeymoon Discussions
Options

The Outer Banks

My fiance and I decided to honeymoon in The Outer Banks (and I thought deciding that was a big enough challenge) Now for the REAL challenge.. where the heck to go in The Outer Banks?! It seems so massive! There are 4 different islands, each with a lot their own towns and villages.

Has anyone ever traveled or vacationed in The Outer Banks? Any suggestions on where we should go, and what we should see would be super helpful. This will be both of our first time down there.

Thanks!

Re: The Outer Banks

• Options
    coraloccoraloc member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2012
    We stay in Avon when we go.  It's more secluded than any of the other islands but you can drive to get to more of the hustle and bustle.  If you guys want privacy and seclusion, Avon's probably the place to go.
  • Options
    I was there 15 years agao, and it is very nice down there.  You can go to the Wrights Brothers Museum/Memorial.  I done hang gliding, and it was fun (got to see wild horses).  I got to go up Cape Hatteras Light House, and you can see so much from there.
    Anniversary Visit The Nest!
  • Options
    OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2012
    What would you like to know?  I have been vacationing there since I was a kid and was married there last Sept, hence the screen name.  I am actually going down this weekend to visit my brother who also lives there and back again for a week in August for some vacation time.

Actually, the OBX is one huge island but with different towns spotted in here and there.  Well, Hatteras is technically it's own separate island, but still considered part of the OBX and the barrier islands.

Give me an idea of what you and FI like to do, what kind of place you want to stay at be it a hotel or a beach house and I will give you as much info as I can.  There is also a North Carolina--Outer Banks board (left side of page, under Local Boards) that you can ask questions on as well.....you will find me over there too :)

ohhhh and I have also kept a list of "Honeymoon Homes" throughout the years and am more than happy to share it with you too :)

• Options
    Here are some helpful links so you can get to know the area better:

http://www.outerbanks.org/

http://www.visitob.com/

• Options
    We go to the Outer Banks almost every year and we love it there!

What do you guys like to do?

You can stay in Nags Head or Southern Shores (which is close to Nags Head), which is more commercialized.

We like to stay in Duck or Corolla, which is a little farther up, but is quieter. It still has a fair amount of quaint shops and restuarants, but the beaches are much less crowded.

When we go down, we jet ski, mini-golf, shop, eat out, kayak on the sound.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    It's pretty cool to see how popular OBX is to those not living in NC. Can't help you out though, we always go to Myrtle Beach Embarassed.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_the-outer-banks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:9c6d90c9-641d-4a62-ac71-ea84ce364293Post:c0e4eb39-85c6-4805-96f1-d48181ee3140">The Outer Banks</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiance and I decided to honeymoon in The Outer Banks (and I thought deciding that was a big enough challenge) Now for the REAL challenge.. where the heck to go in The Outer Banks?! It seems so massive! There are 4 different islands, each with a lot their own towns and villages. Has anyone ever traveled or vacationed in The Outer Banks? Any suggestions on where we should go, and what we should see would be super helpful. This will be both of our first time down there. Thanks!
    Posted by hotchkcs[/QUOTE]
    Fiance and I went to OBX in March for his spring break from college. His first time going and my second. We stayed in Nags Head at a Comfort Inn that was RIGHT on the beach. I got us a super awesome deal off Expedia for a suite with a whirlpool for $90 a night. Beach front view- amazing! Short distance from really great eateries as well as three light houses. We loved it so much that we decided that is where we are going for our Honeymoon in April!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards