Retro and Vintage Weddings
Options

Retro/Vintage Poll--December

Happy December 1st, retro/vintage knotties!  Here are your questions for this month:

What's your latest vintage idea/inspiration?

What wedding-related project are you tackling this December?

Tell us about/show us your cake idea.  Is it retro/vintage inspired?
Our Wedding Website
Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

Re: Retro/Vintage Poll--December

• Options
    my homemade lanterns and possibly button flower bouquet for my FG

STDs and starting on invites (after getting addresses, obviously)!

cant show you since i dont have any pics. a regular cake on the top tier, white frosting with black polkadots, black/white/red cupcakes on the bottom tiers. not really too retro/vintgage inspired, actually.

House Renovations
    Married Bio

I am a gluten-free, gun-toting wife! :P

I love you, Daddy...2/24/1953 to 2/13/2011image
  • Options
    NukkeNukke member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2009
    Right now I'm starting to get into victorian veils (see my siggy picture).  I thought forever that I wanted a birdcage veil, but now I think I might be leaning more towards the headband and veil look.  I'll ultimately decide after I buy a dress and see what looks best.

SO MUCH!  I'm going dress shopping in late December.  I'm so excited!  I'm also sending the STDs out this month (after I get all the addresses I need), and I'll be going over the ceremony details and catering menu with my venue.  PHEW!  That's a lot for one little month. 

My cake isn't really vintage inspired, though the flavour is a traditional Finnish wedding cake (it's essentially a berry shortcake). 
    I'm hoping to get my baker (a close friend) to make a very simple white cake.  For the outside of the cake, I'd like it to be plain white and made of cream.  None of that sweet sugary frosting for us!  (not a fan)  For decor, I'd like to have those cute anemone flowers on it like in the first picture.  Maybe I'd ask our baker to put blueberries for their centres instead, though.  Essentially, I want the inside of the cake to be a shortcake or pound cake with a variety of berries (strawberry, raspberry, blueberry, etc).  My baker is also mixing lingonberry liqeur into the cake batter... cooool.

photo inspirations:

Our Wedding Website
  • Options
    How is it December already???? Wow.

It's a small silly thing, but I'm thinking about doing rock candy as a favor. It's simple and I found a good website to order it in bulk, because realistically I don't want the science project of trying to make 80-100 pieces of rock candy on a stick.

We're talking and making decisions about a lot of stuff, but we're not really actively planning at this stage of the game, but I want to maybe start working on the STD's, I'm doing a DIY boarding pass style STD, i since all of our family is 2000 miles away.

My flavors are somewhat limited, and I'm not sure what exactly my options are yet with the baker at the restaurant we're having the reception at. We're thinking of doing Milk Chocolate Mousse with Raspberry Topping, and I definitely want gerbera daisies on it. I want it to look really simple, with clean lines, etc. Not terrible vintage inspired, but we do want to do a vintage cake topper, really traditional, with the bride and groom.
    image 141 Invited so far!
    image 112 Are ready to party!
    image 29 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are MIA!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Right now...eh, I guess my dress.  I have been through so much drama and indecisivness over my gown that having this one now is really making me excited.

I plan to work on getting FI straight...getting his suit order in (which was done yesterday) getting his wedding band, shoes, etc...also, this is going to be my chill out month before the hectic 3 month mark hits (aaahhhh!!!)

Pix of my cake ideas are in my bio.  I just want something simple with ribbon and a large flower.  I got a ruffle cake stand from Sur La Table that is going to look great with the slim tall design of the cake...I think its vintage and bohemian, which is what I am going for.
    Expecting Two Little Knuckleheads in June! BabyName TickerBabyName Ticker
  • Options
    nukke, i love that veil!

House Renovations
    Married Bio

I am a gluten-free, gun-toting wife! :P

I love you, Daddy...2/24/1953 to 2/13/2011image
  • Options
    My latest inspiration is two antique shops that we recently went to. We've been to a lot of antique shops lately, but two of them really stood out. One of them had the best vintage/antique jewelry collection I have ever seen! We found all kinds of things that we have put on our wishlist including cuff links, cameo jewelry, beaded handbags, and fans. The other has a ring that I want to be MY ring! I'm going to look at it again this weekend!

We just ordered 100 sandalwood fans from theknot and I can't wait for them to arrive! I'm going to practice with black lace and black satin ribbon to see which one I like best on them. We also met a wonderful woman who owns a local boutique who let us get branches from her property. Some of them are covered with moss and are just incredible! We're going to practice arranging the branches into centerpieces.

Our cake is a white cake with black flowers and swirls. It's not really vintage inspired, but I have been looking around the antique shops for something interesting to possibly use as a cake topper. Although, I might not even use a cake topper. We're decorating the cake with black magic roses and I might just do an arrangement of some of my favorite things on the cake table.
    Visit Gothic.weddings.com
  • Options
    Divine, your dress is awesome!
    Expecting Two Little Knuckleheads in June! BabyName TickerBabyName Ticker
  • Options
    Can't believe it's December already!

Um, not real sure right now. I'm starting to think more on headpieces/veils, and soon will start working on the girls' jewelry.  I'm so bogged down in Christmas crafts that this month is not a huge wedding planning/project month.

I compiled and addressed all of my side of the Christmas cards & STDs. We had a photo card made with one of our e-pics and enlosed our DIYd STD magnets. Those will go out in a few days!

So far, no set design on the cake. We're doing a small 2-tier cake but doing individually wrapped small cakes at each seat. I think for the regular cake we will go with the Old Hollywood theme with a red carpet (of icing) under our cake topper, as seen in the cake tooper pic:  http://www.weddingstar.com/product/hollywood-glamour-couple-stars-for-a-day-figurine
    Crosswalk
  • Options
    What's your latest vintage idea/inspiration? a diy vintage tote that I want to make for my BM
    not much,umm just trying to get ideas and start on a bio soon
    Tell us about/show us your cake idea.  Is it retro/vintage inspired? I haven't gotten very far with deciding on a cake but I have to have one of those cute white vintage cake stands.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    *tyresec, thank you so much!!! I'm a little nervous though, because I'm having a hard time finding the right jewelry to go with it. I think I just need to buy a few things, keep the receipts, and try them on with the gown.
    Visit Gothic.weddings.com
  • Options
      I keep getting inspired by blue shoes that I will see (example in my bio). The problem is the ones I find are too high, too dark or too expensive:(

This month my list was research honeymoon spots (done), do a hair trial (done), find a limo company (done), look into wedding insurance (decided against it), put rental car info and directions from the airport on our website (done), and update our registry (done).
      I think the cake I love (first pic in my bio) looks sort of vintage. I don't know that we will do a cake topper though becuase the one I want on Etsy is $80 and I can't justify that since we still have so much money to save :(
  • Options
    monograms...working on our programs and trying to find a nice, antique looking font

umm...the ENTIRE thing - only 2 weeks away!

my cake is really inspired by my grandfather whose favorite cake was coconut but I saw one in a magazine and just had to have it!  it's square with huge coconut flakes that look kind of like snow...perfect for our winter wedding!
  • Options
    Hmm. I dont think anything new has come up. We started thinking about songs we want played at the wedding. FI wants a selection of 80's music. I want some rock-a-billy and random other songs (weird al)

I just got my fiber optic flowers!! so now i need to turn them into a boquet using some of the silk calla lilies I already had.

It's not anything inspired really. I want brownies cause I like them more than cake. I found a cute picture of brownies stacked like a wedding cake (see bio www.weddingbio.weebly.com )
  • Options
    I'm THRILLED about wearing my great-grandmother's crystal jewelry. It's from the 1920's or 1930's, I think, and it's just.so.gorgeous. Nothing like the "Austrian crystal" that's sold nowadays. This stuff glitters like you wouldn't believe!

We just put down deposits on our venue and caterer.
    This weekend we'll put down deposits on our photographer and dj.
    Next up, choosing a baker and a florist - these should happen within the next week.
    After that, we'll choose our invites and register for gifts.
    I can't think past that right now, lol!

I don't think so... we're still rather up in the air about the cake. We definitely want either square with offset layers or hexagonal.  I'm thinking of either doing horizontal stripes/ribs in the icing (not different colours, just textural stripes) and maybe one contrasting colour band somewhere on each layer. OR doing asymmetrically placed ribbons kind of criss-crossing over each other, going around each layer. And I do want a few flowers on the cake, just not tons of roses crammed between each layer. More randomly scattered, and probably orchids or something like that. :D
  • Options
    [QUOTE]nukke, i love that veil!
    Posted by GracefulMeadow86[/QUOTE]

LOL, me too!  I just wish I could remember where I got the photo from originally!  I think I snagged it from a wedding on oncewed or somewhere like that.  Love it, though!
    Our Wedding Website
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards