Florida-South Florida
Options

holy crap... work vent, rave and psa

So first let me start off by saying... if you have someone come into your work place and say they have a service dog with them, DO NOT ASK FOR PROOF! It is apparently against ADA laws to ask. You can ask what the animal does and that is it. Well after 7 1/2 years at my hotel and only encountering this a few times I have always had people hand me the card or I have seen the dog with the harness/vest that says service dog. Needless to say, on Wednesday I checked in a lady and after doing so she mentioned about her SA (service animal) for her son. I asked for the card non-chalantly and she started a hissy fit. "How dare you, you are being discriminatory, that is against ADA law. You are not allowed to ask me that." Literally full on yelling at me. I had an on duty police officer here while all this was going on so he couldn't believe it either. She told me she didn't have the card on her. I said ok and let her leave. So then her husband comes in (I have still yet to see her son and the dog) asks for my card and hands me the SA card. Yes, the one she said she didn't have. I copied it and said thank you. Next thing I know she calls guest assistance to open a complaint about me. Now it's getting ridiculous. So I call my manager freaking out because I have never encountered this before. He never had anyone go off on him either for this. Yesterday, my manager writes her a letter apologizing, saying in no way was I trying to be rude I just made a mistake asking for the card. He tells them he will comp one night off as a courtesy for my innocent mistake. She calls last night saying this wasn't good enough. So today I come into work and my manager tells me, you will not believe what she said. So apparently it went from me asking for the card, to me making her feel like I was going to kick her out of the hotel and not let her stay. She then says that I was in cahouts with the police officer and her husband is a retired firefighter and she knows what happens. Saying that I am sleeping with the officer. My manager says how dare you say that, he is married and she is engaged. You say discrimination how about slander? So anyways, she goes on and on, and he ends up comping their entire stay. She seems like the type to turn around and sue us. Just get them off our back. Ok, so I text the officer (friend of ours, we even invited him to the wedding) to let him know what went down and what she said. So he asked for their info to look them up since he told him he was a retired firefighter for boca. GET THIS... turns out they moved to Georgia from Parkland. There are police reports of people claiming while he was doing handywork in their house, they found jewelry missing!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Funny thing is, I recognized one of the names to be my dad's good friend/client! I called my dad and he remembered it happening, because as their accountant he was writing the checks to this guy. Shady mofo. Unfortunately I can't throw this in his face but at least I know these people are disgusting and obviously using their son's disability to get what they want. Unreal huh? Ahhh the hotel life. They check out tomorrow thank goodness!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: holy crap... work vent, rave and psa

• Options
    edited December 2011
    LOL...OMG!! I'm the manager at a hotel too and this sh*t happened to me too!DON'T FEEL BAD! it's one of those guest's that want everything for free INCLUDING their incidentals! WTF???? Once this lady comes in with a freaking chihuahua and tells me it's an ADA dog...ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME!!??? I told her that I would like to see a card and she freaking FLIPS out on me. I ended up comping one night. I can't believe she said that you were sleeping with a cop. F**K her!! I would be sooo upset. Don't you guys have a "Do Not Allow On Property" list?? I would totally put her on that list. Sorry to hear about that though...cheer up!
  • Options
    zobo410zobo410 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah we could put her on that list, but if she makes a reservation and then we deny her... all hell would break loose. Unfortunately, we had someone come in with a shih-tzu saying it was an ADA dog and they were lying. Since we aren't a pet-friendly hotel we have always inquired. But, like I said in the past, they have always offered up the card automatically or the dog was wearing the vest.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Zobo (I don't know your name, sorry, babe!)From what I undersand, it is not against ADA to ask for the SA card. jetBlue allows service animals on ALL flights, however, the SRVA (service animal) needs one of the following forms of identification:1) Letter from owners Dr stating that animals is an emotional support animal.2) Service animal vest3) SA cardIf the owner/passenger does not have any of the following, they are to pay to full pet fee ($100 one way), or we can refuse the animal travel. I simply tell them it is not discrimination, I am not DENYING them travel, I am protecting the well being of 150 other people, as well as themselves and their animal.A lot of people try to get passed the pet fee by claiming their dog/cat is a SRVA when in fact they do not have any documentation stating otherwise. When I call them out on that, that is when they usually get pissed off and start yelling. Can you guys document reservations? I'd document the heck out of theirs and make sure they don't pull that crap again. Anyone with a REAL SRVA has no issue showing their animals SA card.
    DX stage 4 endo 4/2005 Lap #2 7/2007 Lap #3 8/2009 uterus, tubes & cul-de-sec fused. partial bowel resection. LUPRON :( Surprise BFP 4/2010 Layla Grace 11/17/2010 Surprise BFP 12/2011 - stick baby stick! THE BLOG Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh Oh Oh...LET ME DO IT!! I love telling people why they are on that list!!!! **Evil Laughs**.Man, some people are just DUMB and cruel sometimes. Don't worry. Karma will get them!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love it when people are aholes and then you say, "I'm sorry sir, but I've just added you to the no fly list. Have a great day!'
    DX stage 4 endo 4/2005 Lap #2 7/2007 Lap #3 8/2009 uterus, tubes & cul-de-sec fused. partial bowel resection. LUPRON :( Surprise BFP 4/2010 Layla Grace 11/17/2010 Surprise BFP 12/2011 - stick baby stick! THE BLOG Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    zobo410zobo410 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    *Andra*, the card they gave me actually says on the back that you are not allowed to ask for it. Usually it is the ones that are not legit that freak out. That's why I don't get why she did. Maybe she goes around doing this, I don't know. Our training (which I had to look up from 7 1/2 years ago) actually states it is against the law to ask!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    As per ADA (and I just searched our database for this, lol), we may ask if the animal is a service animal and what tasks it preforms. We can also ask for the card, but should not require it. This may differ for hotels vs airlines, because I know we require some form of documentation. http://www.ada.gov/svcabrpt.pdfYou were ok to ask for it, but had she really not had it - you could've said, "no big deal! next time just please show it, it helps us."
  • Options
    rclnd83rclnd83 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My FI works for the goverment, handeling children's cases and he has told countless stories of how parents use their children.TRUST ME KARMA IS a BI@#&!You handled yourself very well. Just make sure your hotel writes those "guest" info. down, so next time you are ready when she comes.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Asking the other managers for this law...NO! You can ask for the card, but you cannot insist. If they can't prove it, you still can't deny service.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Michelle - I just confirmed that with our managers, too. If they cannot produce a card, vest or letter, they need to pay the full pet fee or they ain't flyin'!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    wow what freak shows! These people are disgusting. Sorry you had to deal with this but thankfully your boss stood by your side.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    zobo410zobo410 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, unfortunately me asking for the card and when she said I don't have it, I said no problem was not what she heard. This whole thing is incredible. I love the stuff her husband did though.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    zobo410zobo410 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Uhh Tess... did you read what you sent me? Businesses may ask if an animal is a service animal or ask what tasks the animal has been trained to perform, but cannot require special ID cards for the animal or ask about the person’s disability.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Maybe airlines and hotels are different. From the US Dept of Justice Website....Some, but not all, service animals wear special collars and harnesses. Some, but not all, are licensed or certified and have identification papers. If you are not certain that an animal is a service animal, you may ask the person who has the animal if it is a service animal required because of a disability. However, an individual who is going to a restaurant or theater is not likely to be carrying documentation of his or her medical condition or disability. Therefore, such documentation generally may not be required as a condition for providing service to an individual accompanied by a service animal. Although a number of states have programs to certify service animals, you may not insist on proof of state certification before permitting the service animal to accompany the person with a disability.
  • Options
    zobo410zobo410 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, but what Tess sent me even said they aren't allowed. Tess, I would highly suggest you look at the training for airlines and see if it says that! I just don't want you to get in trouble. Like I said, the card she gave me on the back said I wasn't allowed to ask for it. You never know with people now a days. Everyone is sue happy.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    WTF. Some people just need to take a moment to stfu. It is so unfortunate that you have to deal with that kind of crap. What is more, it is unfortunate people like that have the freedom to roam around and ruin other people's days.I'm sorry about it, girl :\
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    YAY! This post got a little star!BTW...thanks for posting this ZOBO. I told one of my colleagues(sp?) and now we are thinking of doing a mini training for our staff.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    WTF?  Wow, those people deserve bad things.  Sorry.
  • Options
    avmn10avmn10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    HOLY CRAP!!!! Like someone else said, karma's a b****, so hopefully it turns around and bits them!!
  • Options
    avmn10avmn10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    **bites
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    No. no!! YOU CAN ASK FOR IT!! However, they are NOT required to present it. So, you can ask for the card/documentation all day, but they can also say no every time!! Some business may not require the card, and do not have to see it. Basically, if I try to enter Publix with my cat and they ask if I have a card and I say no, they can't press the issue.... As far as airlines, this is direct for a major airline: There is no charge for service animals used by customers with disabilities. [B] A harness, tag or vest indicating status as a service animal will be helpful in distinguishing them to airport personnel. However, credible verbal assurance that the animal is providing a service to assist with a disability will suffice should an inquiry be made. [/B] Quarantine restrictions may apply. Your reservations agent or travel agent will be happy to check destination regulations for you. Emotional Support Animals Emotional support service animals are service animals that provide emotional support to an individual with a mental health-related disability. [B] Per the Department of Transportation, we require appropriate documentation to permit emotional support animals to travel in the passenger cabin. [/B] Advance notice of at least 48 hours and check in one hour in advance before the general public is required to ensure all paperwork is in order. Specifically, we require current documentation (no later than one (1) year from the date of the passenger’s scheduled initial flight). The documentation must meet the following criteria: On letterhead of a licensed mental health professional including a medical doctor specifically treating the passenger’s mental or emotional disability (e.g., psychiatrist, psychologist, licensed clinical social worker) stating the following: that passenger has a mental health related disability recognized in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders-Fourth Edition (DSM IV) that having the animal accompany the passenger is necessary to the passenger’s mental health or treatment the individual providing the assessment is a licensed mental health professional and the passenger is under his or her professional care the date and type of the mental health professional’s license and the state or other jurisdiction in which it was issued All of the above specific criteria must be provided to accept your emotional support or psychiatric service animal for travel in the passenger cabin. If all requirements are not met, the animal will travel as a pet in the cabin or cargo.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    And, I should add, that if ANY agent feels that the animal is not acting as a service animal should - we CAN question it. Rules for airlines have changed dramatically since 9/11... We're allowed to question a lot these days within fairly broad limits.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    TtotheG,Okay, so if I keep saying "NO, I don't feel like giving documentation", but "verbally" say it's a service dog, can you deny me entry to the plane? or do you have to let me in? Just curious...this whole thing boggles my mind as far as airlines :-(
  • Options
    photonbugphotonbug member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Why have the card if you can't ask for it?  Seems silly to me. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    zobo410zobo410 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ok, has to be different for airlines. Cause that article you sent, and my training says in no way shape or form can you ask for documentation. Wether they have it or not you can't even ask them for it. Like I said that service animal card he handed me even said I was not allowed to ask for it. Would have made life a lot easier if they just brought the f*cking dog in at check-in. I have still yet to see the son or dog of which we speak.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    zobo410zobo410 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have no idea. Maybe if there is an accident and the dog doesn't have a vest or something and the person can't speak? Who knows.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I feel the same way photonbug.Zobo, the ruckus you have caused here at work. I had like 20 people in my office,  all asking what the final say was on this thing...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Michelle - I'm actually on the DOT website as we speak. Regulations for service animals have changed, and for the most part, we are at least required to ask for the card to document the record. Otherwise the customer may have issue boarding, etc. It's weird for airlines.... LOTS of holes that need to be filled.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    DANG TtotheG <---I like your name!!!Good to know :-D
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ok, just as I posted before (and this for airlines, not sure about hotels?).... "Identification: Most airlines require a visible harness or restraint identifying the animal as a service animal. You may also need an Animal Identification Card and a certificate of health or rabies-free document. In almost all cases, they will ask you to verbally confirm that the animal is a service animal. "Verbal assurance" is usually defined as explaining what the animal does, how it assists you or where it was trained." Outside of this, we [B]cannot[/B] ask what the disability is. IF, and only IF, the animal is acting unservice animal like, can we deny boarding. ON THE OTHER HAND, an emotional support animal, defined as an animal in which provides mental stability and calmness to a passenger, but in no way provides a service in guiding, hearing etc [B] NEEDS [/B] all proper documentation. "Documentation from a medical professional stating the purpose of the animal, including what benefit you receive from the relationship with the animal (the letter may only be valid for a certain time) Proof that the medical professional is licensed Proof that you are still receiving care from the medical professional Health/rabies/identification documents for the animal" If this animal has NO documentation can we deny boarding, or the passenger has the option of paying for the full pet fare.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards