Florida-South Florida
Options

Sad day...

As some of you might already know thru facebook. Today on my lunch break I am going with FI to but my mom's dog to sleep. She has been in our family for 15 yrs now after my mom's passing 10 yrs ago she has stayed with my grand parents and that kind of helped them cope having my moms dog. Well she is already old having problems breathing, had a mini stroke a couple of weeks ago that left her face side ways :( and also is blind and sort of death. My grandfather did not want to put her to sleep but after all of us getting together and finally getting thru him that the dog is in pain.
I called the vet and we are taking her in today. My grandparents do not want to go. So its just FI & I. The vet asked me if I want to be present when they put her to sleep. I said "yes" bcuz I would like to ease her pain and give her affection & talk to her before shes passes. Has anyone been in the room while they do this???

I know I am going to loose it but I feel like I need to do this for her so shes not alone. Call me crazy. My heart is aching but I know its the right thing to do for her.

thanks for letting me share :(

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image

Re: Sad day...

• Options
    photonbugphotonbug member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am so sorry!  I have been in the room twice now and it is a peaceful way to go.  I still lost it each time but it is better for the her.

Sending you knottie vibes! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Aww, babe. Just hold her paws. She'll be so comforted knowing you are there with her. Scratch her in her favorite place :)

We just put down my FSILs cat a few weeks ago. It's really quick. They just fall asleep. I'm so sorry for your loss. xoxox
    DX stage 4 endo 4/2005 Lap #2 7/2007 Lap #3 8/2009 uterus, tubes & cul-de-sec fused. partial bowel resection. LUPRON :( Surprise BFP 4/2010 Layla Grace 11/17/2010 Surprise BFP 12/2011 - stick baby stick! THE BLOG Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    bluebookbluebook member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am so sorry for your loss!!  I am preparing myself for the day in which I'll likely have to do this to my cat (11 years together) because she's getting sicker. I think it's definitely better if you're in the room, for her and you (closure). Lots of hugs to you.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    oh honey I'm so sorry> That's not an easy thing... I know. Sending lots of love and hugs your way!! Hang in there!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm so so so sorry for your loss. It's like losing a family member. <3
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageBabyName Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I wrote to you on Fb but Im really sorry Hun! I know how hard this can be. Just know your dog is with your mom now. Its ok to lose it and grieve. You need to allow yourself that!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
     So sorry for your loss and hard day. My knottie vibes your way 

geri...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm soo sorry for your loss =(

I think before being in the room, ask the vet what will happen when he/she is put to sleep.

Last year, FI and I had to put his dog to sleep after getting some kind of heat stroke and we decided to be in the room when they injected him. For some reason, as soon as they did that and he stopped breathing, this foamy liquid started coming out of his mouth and nose and it was a huuuge amount that was all over him and the floor, as in like GALLONS! (I'm thinking it was all the IV liquids they had him on due to the heat stroke).
    We started screaming for the vet to come back in the room and they just told us to step out of the room. Till today, it worst thing I've ever seen.

Of course, I'm not saying that will happen in your case (please don't think that) But I just wanted to make sure you ask the vet exactly what will happen when your in the room, that way you're prepared.

GL sweetie and once again, I'm sorry you and the fam have to go thru this <3
  • Options
    cinthia122cinthia122 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Reading this made me tear up.  I know when its time for my dog I will be feeling the same way you are.  Lots of prayers your way. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm so sorry hun - I went through it last year and it really is a peaceful way to go.  Let yourself 'lose it' ....
    image image imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    sorry to hear that. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    twinkle82576twinkle82576 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm so sorry you have to do this Arlyn.

I've been at the vet when they put other people's dogs to sleep, and while I'm not in the room, I lose it crying for them. The "parents" are so emotional, and I'm such a sucker for dogs, I can't deal.

Our family dog passed away last year, and she was very old and sick. We always thought my dad should have put her to sleep, since she was almost completely blind and deaf already, but I guess he didn't have the heart. Let me tell you, I think it's quite possibly worse to find them dead, not having been with her at her passing. It was one of the most awful moments when the Humane Society went to pick up her body. And I can't imagine the day when I lose my Chihuahua, I would be absolutely devastated.

Hang in there, we all feel for you.
  • Options
    ayanapoohayanapooh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My dogs are like children to me, so I know this must be SO hard for you.  Esp. after the loss of your mom. I'm so sorry to hear this, I'll say a prayer for  you and FI.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    omg im so sorry! Just reading this made me tear up. I tried never to think about it when my mom had to do this. she didn't stay but i wish she would've but everyone's different as to what they can handle you know? And my mom was alone which was terrible, you have FI and he'll be there for you.

Hugs to you and give your sweet pup some kisses.
  • Options
    atizonatizon member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thank you for the kind words...Bella has finally went to a better place and reunited with my mom.  Let me tell you that I am glad I was there petting her and talking to her. FI was there to for support. It was sssoooo hard.
    But deep down inside I knew it was the best for her. No more suffering.
    It really happend so fast. It litteraly took 5 seconds and she passed. It makes me cope a little bit better knowing that she did not feel anything, it was quick and she left peacefully not knowing what happend. :(  dogs are like kids to us. Not a easy thing to do.

thank you all for the kind words and sharing your experience with me. you girls are truly the best. :(

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh no (btw I hate myself for not seeing this post before!), I literally held my dog while reading this. I am so sorry, Arlyn. Like Tess said, hold her paws and she'll know it'll be okay. Be strong for her and her transition will be a smooth one.
  • Options
    questvcquestvc member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So sorry to hear that about your doggy... I am glad it was nothing to painful and that you were there.
    Lot of KNOTTIE VIBES YOUR WAY
  • Options
    bears4lifebears4life member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Aww i'm so sorry hunny. It's very hard. I've been there done that 3 times.  I wish I could take the pain away. Sending you lots of knottie hugs and love.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards