California-Los Angeles
Options

I NEED HELP! SPANISH INVITATIONS!

Alright Ladies, I need your help! Here is the thing our DOC is designing our invites, but my family primarily speaks Spanish and well our DOC does not. She came up with a great wording for our invites in English which is fine for the guest that will received them in English, but now its up to me to translate that wording into Spanish eeeeeek! Its a very untraditional wording, so its not something I can just copy from a wedding invitation website. So this is what I've gotten so far maybe you ladies could please help me a bit and let me know if it sounds right or what not. I'd really appreciate it :) Here is the English wording: Please join us in Wonderland when (my name) and (FI's name) say till death do us part taking place on september twenty fifth two thousand and ten at half past four in the afternoon. Ceremony Address Read Me: -all black attire please -dinner & dancing to follow in the atlantis room This is what I've created in Spanish: Por favor unase con nosotros en el Pais de las maravillas cuando (my name) y (FI's name) digan hasta que la muerte nos separe llevandose a cabo el Sabado,veinte cinco de Septiembre del dos mil diez a la mitad de las cuatro de la tarde. Address Leeme: -vestir de negro por favor -cena y baile a seguir en el cuarto de atlantis. --------------------------------------------------------------------- So does it sound right? Sometimes the spanish dictionary aren't much help with grammar and make it sound worse! TIA! Sorry it was sooooooooo lllllloooonng!

Re: I NEED HELP! SPANISH INVITATIONS!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it sounds good, it made sense but I don't know if the "a la mitad de las cuatro de la tarde" is clear. I don't know if that's how you say "half past four" in spanish, but that was the only part that seemed a little off to me. You could always say "cuatro y media de la tarde" to be safe, but then it doesn't have the same feel as the rest of the wording... but at least you know it will makes sense!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think you got it pretty good =) My only Sugg. is this: Llevandose a cabo: Que se llevara a cabo Sabado Ect...... A la mitad de las cuatro: A las Cuatro y media de la tarde. HTH. Aside from looks great =)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah that's what I'm thinking too! My asked my mom just that question when you hear "a la mitad de las cuatro de la tarde" what comes to mind? She was quick and said four thirty but my dad was like you are messing up the Spanish language. hahaha! That was funny. :P
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was trying to give the same feel like the English but I guess it won't be possible :( thanks girls :)
  • Options
    Vans18Vans18 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with the PP's "a las cuatro y media" sounds much better. Everything else sounds good. I'm just trying to find out if that's the best translation for "black attire." Good job girl!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Por favor unase con nosotros en el Pais de las Maravillas cuando Name y Name se prometen "hasta que la muerte nos separe" el dia sabado, veinte y cinco de septiembre del año dos mil diez a las cuatro y media de la tarde. (address) leeme: -por favor vistese de negro -cena y baile seguira en el cuarto de Atlantis I think there is an accent on the "u" in "unese" and there might also be a few more on some of the other words. I changed it to the "formal" tense (the formal you, to the familiar you) and for some reason "promise" sounded less weird than "say" in the translation. In spanish, you don't capitalize the day of the week or month. And I corrected the tense on "dinner and dancing to follow" I can call my grandmother to make sure it's "unese" instead of "unase" but now they both sound right and I can't tell which is which.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    it didn't like my special character. it's "ano" like the year, with the tilde over the "n" (alt 164 on a PC keyboard)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would go with "a las quatro y media" to :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes the blog does not like accents at all. Actually in the copy I have saved on the comp I have accents, thanks!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Phiaska- thanks alot! It does sound better :) I really appreciate it :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wait, black ATTIRE or black tie? You technically shouldn't put anything about attire in the invite. It's nice in English, but even if it's not a direct translation into Spanish, it will be fine. :-)
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    msmerymac-lol not black tie. we are not doing for fanciness but because we want it to look morbid. cemetery. Its a dark wedding. I see what your saying, but if someone decides to wear a hot pink dress we wouldn't turn them away either.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards