California-Los Angeles
Options

Opinion on Bridal Shower

I am just curious what you all think about this.  I am not traditional and I don't care about having a Bridal Shower.  Not only do I not care about it, most of my girlfriends live out of the State and I don't want them to have to come to CA before the wedding and for the wedding.  Also, I don't want any gifts.  But everytime I tell someone I don't want a Bridal Shower they say I have to have one.  So my question is, do I really have to have one?  Is this something I might regret in the future?

Same for a bachelortte party which I don't want either. 

Re: Opinion on Bridal Shower

• Options
    jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You absolutely do not have to have a shower.  You've already stated you don't care for one nor do you want gifts, so that's that.  Just tell them that you appreciate them looking out for you but you'll see them at the big party (your wedding)!
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    nikojammnikojamm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree... there is nothing written that you have to have one.  If you truly don't want one then do what jagore says.  However, if there are people in town that want to do something special for you, then maybe it can be a nice lunch or something small to celebrate you getting married.  (It could be looked at as a combo of shower/bach.)

I also had many of my close gals out of town, however my SILs threw me a beautiful shower and there were only like 7 of us there.  Then for my bach party, I def did not want the traditional bach party so a few of us (mostly family, but jagore joined us!!!) got together for a nice dinner and drinks.  It was perfect!  So again, if you really don't want anything, politely tell people that.  Otherwise something small is very nice because people do want to do something for ya at this beautiful time of your life!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I didn't have one! One BM mentioned "having to do it" but I knew she wouldn't be excited about it. I didn't really want one, so I told her not to worry about it.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think if someone wants to throw a shower for you, then you should go along with it.  I didn't really want one, but my future MIL really wanted to host it.  I wouldn't want to hurt her feelings.  It was really fun too!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I didn't want showers either. Most of my BMs did not live in LA, so they were not obligated to come. One shower was done by my Mom's friends (so that was for just her friends) and the other was from my grandmother/great-aunt/aunt, so that was for family and my friends. Neither was super extravagent and I refused games at both. It was mostly just a chance for people to congratulate me and my soon-to-be-husband on our getting married before the craziness of the wedding day.

On another note, I did not have a bachelorette party and do not regret it!
  • Options
    Gracel27Gracel27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you don't want one, don't have one!

I'm going to do a bridal shower but not a bachelorette party because I've been to bachelorette parties and I totally DO NOT want anything like that for myself.

You should do what you're comfortable with and not let anyone tell you otherwise. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well I don't think I have to worry about anyone wanting to throw me one either lol I have no family in LA and only a couple of my friends live here.  Thanks everyone!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards