California-Los Angeles

Should the cake follow the theme?....

So we are planning to go pick a cake either this weekend or the following....so do you think the cake should follow our Alice in Wonderland theme. I have heard the main focus is "the cake" But I feel a bit unsure...initially I wanted a cake like this (secretly I still do) .... BUT I just don't think it will go with everything else....as beautiful as it is :D

Here is a cake that would go with our theme....

FI REALLY wants a cupcake cake and to be honest I think they are cuter than the cake pic above......

And since we want to have a traditional cake cutting we thought the top later would be a cake and look what I found..... 

Do you think it would look too birthday-ish instead of a wedding cake????Undecided

Re: Should the cake follow the theme?....

• edited December 2011
    I think the cake should be however YOU GUYs want it to be.  Since we don't have a "theme" I am having our cake coordinate with our colors. 
    But since you do have a "theme" I think it would be kind of cool to have your cake coordinate with that as well.  Although "I'm" a cake person - I really like the cupcakes above that would match your theme.  I also like the idea of you guys cutting into the top hat. 
    Don't think you can go wrong either way!
    My Planning Bio - updated 4/19/10
    Our Wedding Teasers
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    243 invited image 170 Said YES image 45 Can't party US image 28 Haven't heard from image Invitations sent out on 4/6/10 - Our RSVP date is 5/15/10 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • geal3456geal3456 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I absolutely LOVE the cupcakes! They are the best I've ever seen! And to have a hat at the top as a cake I think is a great idea. I think if your having the alice in wonderland theme you should go with the cupcakes. The cake you picked is beautiful, but I love different and if I went to your wedding I would love to see the cupcakes. Different and unique all your own.

Its Amazing!
  • edited December 2011

I agree with PP.  I love the cupcakes but get whatever you two like best.  I've been to weddings where they have cupcakes and they still did a cake-cutting with a giant cupcake.  I think the top-hat idea is adorable and the whole thing will make a statement at the reception.

• edited December 2011
    I absolutely love the last pic! If it were me with the theme I would do cupcakes because it kind of reminds me of the tea party theme in the movie they have all the little pastries, that's just my opinion though.  GL!
  • edited December 2011
    Our cake doesn't match our theme.  It matches the place where FI proposed - under Big Ben in London.  If you love that other cake, get that other cake!

But the cupcakes are awesome :)
  • edited December 2011
    Cakes don't necesarily have to echo your theme unless you really want it to.  A wedding cake is a dessert that is large enough to make its own statement all by itself.  It can go with your theme, or it can contrast your theme.  For example: you could go with a regular looking cake with white frosting, black ribbon, red roses and little cards on it or something like that.  There are lots of variations on the Alice in Wonderland theme you can go with. I can totally see how a topsy turvy cake would fit.  My FI and I have also seen what happens when a topsy turvy cake goes horribly wrong, so I promised my FI "no leaning tower of disaster at the wedding."

We're doing an Enchanted Forest/Garden reception theme, but our cake is surrounded by ladyfingers and decorated with ribbon. No botanials at all.  You have a few more months to go, don't feel you have to rush into a decision immediately--if you can't decide give yourself some time.  It's better to decide later than to rush to a decision immediately and then find out you want to change it later.

Here's a suggestion:  If you like the top most cake the most then keep it.  But to make it more thematic go with darker red roses instead of pink ones, and have your scrolling be black. Make the dots in the scrolls hearts, spades, diamonds and clubs.

With your color scheme you can very easily pull off a cake that goes along with your theme but is more subtle. I did a google search and found this picture:

• Vans18Vans18 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Love the cake you like and the cupcakes too! If you can afford it can you have both? like not too many cupcakes, just a few at your candy buffet? Also the cake Tillea posted is really pretty and it goes with your wedding colors. In the end you should pick what you have been envisioning this whole time...if its not the theme cake or the cupcakes...doesn't really matter at the end. GL
  • edited December 2011
    I LOVE those cupcakes, but I also love the one Tilliea found. I was going to suggest black, red and white. It seems a bit more classy and wedding-y.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Twisted06Twisted06 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd go with a smaller cake of however you want it and the really cute cupcakes.
  • imlovingitimlovingit member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like the second cake and what would make it perfect would be cupcakes around it. I like all the different pix you posted. You cant go wrong with any of those!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm going to be the odd woman out.  I think that the cupcakes and Alice items seem more birthday party-ish than wedding-ish.  I say go with the cake you still secretly still want.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards