Latino Weddings
Options

Help from PR brides!

Hey!I'm not Hispanic, but FI is from Ponce, PR. I've done most of the planning involved in our wedding. So that means basically all the details are Asian influenced...FI's expressed last night that he wants to incoporate his PR heritage into the wedding. FI's sister got married last year and she had a completely Americanized wedding (she and her DH are 100% PR) so I don't know who to turn to for advice. Also, FI is not religious, but does not practice diligently. :-/My question is: What Hispanic traditions are you incorporating into your weddings?

Re: Help from PR brides!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Congrats and welcome to the board! My DH is also PR :) We are thinking about incorporating PR cuisine, candy favors. and music into the reception.  I'm sure our fellow knotties can give you more ideas :)
  • Options
    drod58drod58 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi, One of the typical traditions are the "capias"The capias had a piece of “abeto” fern (spiny fern used in weddings) attached to the capia (about 5 inches of fern), and the capia sat in the middle of the fern.  The capias include a piece of folded narrow ribbon printed with the bride and groom’s names on one end, and the date of the wedding on the other. For the first dance you may choose a danza criolla, a Puerto Rican waltz. La Borinqueña is a waltz.  
  • Options
    ivelissedivelissed member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm Puerto Rican and I've never heard of the capias. The main tradition that I would say is that on the ceremony the groom gives the bride a box with ten coins (usually dimes) as of saying that he'll be able to support her financially (if needed). The other main tradition would be the food.  Arroz con gandules, pasteles, lechon and something with plantain (the fruit). We don't do the rehersal dinner, though some people do have a rehersal, just not the dinner.  Instead of being "maid of honor" and "best man" are god mother and god father of the wedding, but its basically the same thing.  People tend to give money instead of gifts.  Other than that loud music and dancing.  Salsa, merengue... Dancing a danza is something my parents did but I haven't seen in modern weddings.  The godfather gives a speech at the reception... Oh, IDK if they do that in the states, but its a tradition that after the ceremony a line of cars go past the bride's neighborhood and make a lot of noise in celebration.  Kind of like telling the community that she got married.  I saw that they did that once at the grooms community because the bride wasn't from the area. Those are kind of like the big things to me.  HIH
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    there's a wedding planning page called bodasclickpr.com its in spanish but it might help you with ideas
  • Options
    drod58drod58 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ivelisse - what kind of Puertorrican are you that haven't heard of the Famous CAPIAS, ha ha ha (just kidding).  If you are raised in Puerto Rico, you know that we use them for everything;  Baby showers, bridal showers, Quinceaneros, Baptism, Weddings, Birthdays Party, etc...
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    yes I was raised in Puerto Rico!  I moved to the states only 10 months ago!  Well, I might have heard it under another name maybe.  Probably when I start doing the wedding planning and my mom mentions it I'll say "oh, so that's what she was talking about!" hahaha
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What?!?! You dont know what capias are?!?! LOL!! And the "10 dimes" you are talking about is actually called "arras" The groom gives the bride an Arras - a container of 13 coins. In addition to being a sort of dowry, the Arras symbolized the groom's promise (and ability) to support his family. Another tradition that is dying out now, is the dollar dance. Im PR and not really incorporating anything traditional except for maybe the dollar dance, and some favors that are being knitted by my aunt (titi) in PR.. We arent doing a rehearsal dinner after the rehearsal. If anything we are just going to order some pizzas and call it a night..We're on a budget, LOL!!
    Melissa ~ Wife to Eddie; Soccer Mom to Mikel, Mikaela & Baby #3 Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for so many great ideas!!We decided to go with the coins (is it 10 or 13?) blessing by one of our pastors. We're taking Latino dancing classes this winter so of course we'll be salsa (& etc) dancing. We'll also have a 1/2 PR, 1/2 Asian candy buffet- courtesy of Ms. Sunshine (great idea!). And about the capias... Although FI never heard of them either, I thought it was cute. So I've decided to make them and decorate them with a sewn image of a dragon and rat to give out as favors.FI's pretty pleased right now.AAAANND... As a surprise, I've decided to wear a form fitting wedding gown with a cathedral sized mantilla veil at the church. I'm already wearing 6 wedding dresses- why not add one more? lol!Thanks for the help everyone!
  • Options
    drod58drod58 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Puerto Rico we don't do the rehearsal dinner but since I live in NJ I will do it.  It is going to be at my house after the rehearsal at the church.  I'm going to have a puertorrican carterer, since the rehearsal is December 11, the menu will be; arroz con gandules, pernil, pasteles, pollo en fricase y ensalada de coditos.  Y yo voy hacer Coquito. 
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Coquito, que rico!  The "aras" (the coins) I've always heard from my family that there were 10 but I've read here and on other websites that there are 13.  I don't think the number is a big deal anyway.  Sounds like you got your hands full on your wedding, though I can imagine it will be a wedding to remember, sounds wonderful.  Best wishes! and glad to help.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well My FI & I are both Puerto Rican  We are both very much Americanized but Being I am the 1st of my grandma 15 grandkids to get married I plan to add some Puerto Rican flare to the wedding...  1st off I think capias are waste of money... I been to alot events were everyone throws them away...  I was thinking about getting salsa band or some bomba/plena dancers And the arroz con gandules is a must....   During the cocktail hours you can have empandas, acpurias (sp), or tostones on the menu.  hope this helps and Congrats.. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow, so many ideas. My partner is from Ponce, so I was wanting to incorporate her heritage into the reception as well as my Mexican heritage.

Now I have some ideas!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards