Latino Weddings
Options

I want a Mariachi and I have to convince my hubby

I am mexican and he is white. So you can understand where I come from. He thinks its very expensive which I agree but how can I convince him that it will be worth it?

I would really like to have them to play at our wedding ceremony which is a mexican tradition but I think it will be more cool if they play during dinner at the reception.

If you had to pick one, where you will have them play?

I'm not sure.

Re: I want a Mariachi and I have to convince my hubby

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I am Mexican like you and I myself play in a mariachi so it was a must to have one. We had ours play at the reception during dinner. I think its the best time because more of your guest will get to enjoy them and they won't be bored during dinner.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    munkiimunkii member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ours played during dinner as well.  How to convince the H?  I just kept bringing it up until he gave in--but I came at it with different angles.  It helped that our events manager is Mexican and reminded H, "You're being adopted by Mexicans, you don't have a choice in this."
    Matt loves Munkii!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Munkii, that's a great way of saying it :) My mother and stepfather had the mariachi play at their wedding reception.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are having the mariachi play during dinner.I do have to ask, what other Mexican traditions are you incorporating in your wedding? The reason I ask is that if your answer is not many, then you can tell him that this is a big part of Mexican tradition and you might get away with it (if you haven't incorporated other traditions yet). Hope this helps :-) [url=http://www.theknot.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.theknot.com/tools/tickers/tt28349.aspx[/img][/url]
  • Options
    ExpatPumpkinExpatPumpkin member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

We had a mariachi band at the wedding.  It was a huge hit among our Mexican guests; it was a destination wedding and everyone had to travel, so they were thrilled to see their culture reflected in the celebration...  Everyone enjoyed the group - we had them play at the end of the night...  Pics and video (near the end of the highlights) in bio in signature.

• Options
    jenandcrisjenandcris member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As a non-Mexican, I have to say that if a wedding I went to had a mariachi band... it would be SO awesome! It's something I've never experienced before. And it's always cool seeing something so different.

Maybe you can try to convince him from that angle? That the non-Mexican guests would be thrilled to see a live mariachi.
    Married in Boston, MA: Nov 8, 2013.
    Me: 27. Him: 30. DD: >1.
    Vow Renewal in Beavercreek, OH: July 1, 2017.
  • Options
    ozarka020ozarka020 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We chose the to have them play at the reception.  We were also concerned with the cost so they played only during the cocktail hour and dinner.  Our guests loved it!  DH is white and I'm mexican too.  I was at first concerned about his side of the family thinking it would be too "ethnic" or whatever.  But since it was so different than what they are all used to at weddings they loved it!  The Mariachis were one of my favorite things about our wedding. 
  • Options
    Ken&CassKen&Cass member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

If you figure out how to get him to agree let me know, I appear to have lost this battle with my fiance. I wanted to have them playing when we come out of the church... but he is against it all together because he's white and I'm Mexican and he doesn't understand. At this point I'm tempted to surprise him!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    ExpatPumpkinExpatPumpkin member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_latino-weddings_want-mariachi-convince-hubby?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:680Discussion:10497984Post:092dd00f-2494-4013-b0ea-48665d04d6cc">Re: I want a Mariachi and I have to convince my hubby</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you figure out how to get him to agree let me know, I appear to have lost this battle with my fiance. I wanted to have them playing when we come out of the church... but he is against it all together because he's white and I'm Mexican and he doesn't understand. At this point I'm tempted to surprise him!
    Posted by Ken&Cass[/QUOTE]

<div>All I can say is that he's really missing out!  Have him take a look at the Reception tab in my bio.  Or watch our highlights video - the mariachis come in near the end...</div><div>
    </div><div>They were a HUGE hit and my side is totally not Hispanic and his side is Mexican.  Everyone loved them ;)</div><div>
    </div><div>Also, we got married in Colorado too.  There's a link to the mariachi group that we used under the Vendors tab.  They were authentic and awesome!</div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am Mexican and my fiancee is as white as they come! But, luckily he is into the idea.  The only problem is finding a not too expensive mariachi band in the Boston area.  I only want them to play during the cocktail hour.  Our room isn't very big, and I feel as though there isn't enough room for them during dinner.

Anyone know of any mariachi bands in the Boston area?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am having them play for one hour for our big entrance and during dinner.  I suggest that you comporomise.  You get the mariachi and in turn he gets one thing that he wants for the wedding.  It could be renting a sports car for your exit, having a cigar roller, or something special for the honeymoon ;)
    My wedding Bio My baking Blog View from Le'ahi Diamond Head image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I find this conversation very interesting because it's my fiance, who is Mexican, who is not at all into the idea.  Not that he would say no if I said I definitely wanted one, but none of the weddings we have been to in Mexico have ever had a mariachi and he doesn't really identify with it culturally. 

That said, I think that your FI's family and friends would probably enjoy it--it's something that everyone can identify with as "mexican" but isn't as what-the-heck-is-going-on as the stilt walkers and favors at most mexican weddings and parties are for people from the U.S.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    So did you get to convince him to have the Mariachi.
    I am white and my FI is Mexican and we want a mariachi but, I haven't the slightest idea where to find one in the Atlanta, GA area. Anybody have any ideas?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_latino-weddings_want-mariachi-convince-hubby?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:680Discussion:10497984Post:6ba4eb8f-82e4-40b5-a65d-159f361a62d1">Re: I want a Mariachi and I have to convince my hubby</a>:
    [QUOTE]We had a mariachi band at the wedding.  It was a huge hit among our Mexican guests; it was a destination wedding and everyone had to travel, so they were thrilled to see their culture reflected in the celebration...  Everyone enjoyed the group - we had them play at the end of the night...  Pics and video (near the end of the highlights) in bio in signature.
    Posted by ExpatPumpkin[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Your planner(profile) seems to be private I am very interested to see what you used and how you incorporated :) 

</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards