Latino Weddings

How to encourage our friends and family to mix and mingle

*Cross-posted from the reception ideas board*

Greetings,

We are bi-lingual couple who have been together 5 years - he's from El Salvador and I'm Canadian.  I'm hoping you all can help us find some ways to encourage our friends and families to interact at the reception.   Vamos a tener parte de la ceremonia en ingles y parte en espanol, pero nuestra preocupacion ahorita es mas la fiesta despues.

Although there are a few exceptions our friends and family are totally seperate social circles. Very few of his friends and family have met my friends and family, and vice versa. Part of this is due to distance but a bigger part of it is a language barrier.  Some of his family speak english but most don't, and I have a few friends who speak spanish but most don't.  Our biggest concern about our wedding is that my people will all end up on one side of the venue and all of his people will end up on the other.

I'm curious to hear how others are/have dealt with this. How can we encourage our guests to reach across culture and language and get to know each other? Any fun reception ideas? Any insight on how we can get people to mix and mingle?

Thanks in advance for any and all insights and ideas!

Re: How to encourage our friends and family to mix and mingle

• What you could do is have someone translate your wedding ceremony from Spanish to English.

At the reception embrace both cultures by offering food from both sides and extend this to your selection of music. Have a table for both of your immediate family members to be seated at the reception.

Our family is Mexican and American...same issues some speak Spanish and other don't but that doesn't keep us from having fun. If your family members are open minded then that makes your job much easier.

Que Dios Bendiga!
  • edited April 2012
    I would suggest having some fun reception games to get everyone involved and laughing together.  I've seen some really fun and tasteful games led by the best man and maid of honor involving the bride and groom in the middle of the dance floor.  Maybe you can search for a game that includes audience participation?

Other ideas to get people moving around are to have a different tray of dessert placed on each table and tell people to move around to try different desserts.  This way everyone will walk around and have to mingle with others at their table.

If you are seating people from both sides of the family at the same table, I've heard of some brides writing little conversation starters behind people's menus, something they have in common maybe like an interest in outdoors, similar industries of work, etc.

With regards to language, if your ceremony will be in English, then write out detailed programs in Spanish to print and pass out at the venue so no one feels like they're missing out.

Have a wonderful wedding!
  • La Vibora De La Mar gets everyone to mingle in a fun and spirited way.

Don't expect everyone to become best friends, no matter your efforts. There will be intermingling and such because everyone loves the two of you.  Don't worry too much, even with a language barrier, weddings have a way of bringing people together. (Of course, unless there are nutjob hostile guests)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards