Just Engaged and Proposals

Colors & Enagment Right Clash

So my fiancee and I decided our colors are gonna be dark blue and silver and my ring (which is a family heirlum on his mom's side) is gold. Is that tacky or ok?
True love is the souls recognition of it's counterpart.

Re: Colors & Enagment Right Clash

• tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    Nobody is going to be looking at the e-ring that closely.  Don't overthink the family heirloom.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • You're way over thinking this.  No one will care if your ring doesn't match your colors.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Your ring doesn't have to match your colors.
  • waaaaaaaaaaaaaay overthinking this. 

And it's heirloom.
  • Nothing has to match anything!!
    I hate when brides get so nervous about what other people will think.. you're wedding can look like will wonka threw up colors everywhere and as long as you look back and smile about your big day that is all that matters in my books.
  • I have never dealt with heirlooms, but if you're that worried about it would it be completely ridiculous to have it rhodium plated? If that's even something you would want to do. If you love the way it is now, leave it! It's what you love and no one will notice anyting different :) 
    image. Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Really?
    People coordinate colors used in wedding decorations to their jewelry.  I guess I missed that step.

People aren't going to sit there and judge you if your e-ring clashes with the flowers.  No one cares.  And only a handful of people will remember the colors of your flowers, bm dresses, and table linens in the days following the wedding.  Not a single one will say it doesn't match with your ring,  90% of them won't even know or remember what your ring looks like anyway.

Basically this is a non-issue.

• Your engagment ring doesn't have to match anything.  It's nice if it coordinates with the wedding ring since they spend the rest of your life sitting next to each other but that's about it. 

The rest of your jewelry doesn't even have to match the e-ring. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_colors-enagment-right-clash?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:93625a02-64d5-462f-9b73-b5960c4d1a64Post:775cc482-74be-405c-911e-9a37805c2af4">Re: Colors & Enagment Right Clash</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have never dealt with heirlooms, but if you're that worried about it would it be completely ridiculous to have it rhodium plated? If that's even something you would want to do. If you love the way it is now, leave it! It's what you love and no one will notice anyting different :) 
    Posted by kmetzger0389[/QUOTE]

Yes, this suggestion is completely ridiculous.  You don't plate an heirloom ring, especially if it is not being passed down through YOUR family.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_colors-enagment-right-clash?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:93625a02-64d5-462f-9b73-b5960c4d1a64Post:ea6121f0-8fea-4fb9-a08c-863f21d4ab7a">Re: Colors & Enagment Right Clash</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colors & Enagment Right Clash : Yes, this suggestion is completely ridiculous.  You don't plate an heirloom ring, especially if it is not being passed down through YOUR family.
    Posted by tldh[/QUOTE]

<div>What? Why not? It's her ring. She can do whatever she feels like she wants to do with it. It will still be the same ring, just a different color. Do you think that passing down the diamond without the setting is a terrible idea too?</div>
    Anniversary
  • tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_colors-enagment-right-clash?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:93625a02-64d5-462f-9b73-b5960c4d1a64Post:a0ada601-4700-4029-8d7d-59485ebfb5c3">Re: Colors & Enagment Right Clash</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Colors & Enagment Right Clash : What? Why not? It's her ring. She can do whatever she feels like she wants to do with it. It will still be the same ring, just a different color. Do you think that passing down the diamond without the setting is a terrible idea too?
    Posted by Narwhal[/QUOTE]

If just the diamond is passed down then no.  That's how she received it from the family.  An heirloom is different, and yes, while it is her ring, she is expected to keep it as is - resizing is an obvious exception.  Changing it in any way is a good way to start a family grudge.

How would you feel if your son gave his FI your mother's engagement ring and she went out and had it changed to fit the color scheme of her wedding? Honestly, how would you feel if she did that to your mother's ring?  Ask your mom how she would feel about this.  I have my mom's, my gram's and my great grandmother's e-rings.  I'd be livid if anyone altered them.  If they didn't want them exactly like that, then they shouldn't have accepted them.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • You will be just fine. My colors are burgundy and silver, yet my eyes are green and my lip gloss will be pink.

imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • don't worry about the ring being gold and your colors being silver. Look at it from the bright side now you don't have to worry about trying to find something old for your wedding.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards