Just Engaged and Proposals

When do you/don't you wear your e-ring?

2»

Re: When do you/don't you wear your e-ring?

• I have super sensitive skin and have to take it off every night, or else I get blisters (this is true with any metal type of ring I wear, even some nonmetal ones. I forgot to take it off last night and 5 minutes ago I found a huge blister.)
  • I've always hated wearing rings, but my e-ring feels really natural and I love wearing it. Though I do take it off all the time. I absolutely hate the feeling of wet skin under the ring, or any kind of irritation. I take it off to sleep, exercise, shower, getting ready, most cleaning and it comes off most times I wash my hands.
    White Knot

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Any jeweler will say you shouldn't wear it to bed.  I wear mine all the time, but if I'm just hanging around the house or heading to the gym, eh, might not put it on.  Def. not to the gym.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_youdont-wear-e-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:c1fc31f7-422d-4393-b278-bcb9027bf2e0Post:50419f83-d46d-4436-bc21-537945f883d9">Re: When do you/don't you wear your e-ring?</a>:
    [QUOTE]i wear mine all the time.  i only take it off to put it in my cleaner maybe once a week.  i don't look at it as jewelry.  it's a symbol for me.  our bond, i guess.  i felt it on my finger the first week or so, but now i don't even feel it anymore!  you'll get used to it.
    Posted by amianne420[/QUOTE]
    Ditto!

I only take mine off to put on lotion and have it cleaned. My e-ring is actually at the designer being remade because I have dinky fingers, too. My setting is very top-heavy and spins, too, but I got used to it quickly and never even notice that I correct it- my mom pointed out that I was doing it one day, and it had never occurred to me that I was using my other fingers to keep it upright. Do what feels right to you.
    One thing you might want to keep in mind, though. How does your FI feel about you not wearing it all the time?
  • cccatescccates member
    First Comment
    I wear it the majority of the time, except when wearing powdered gloves for work (in a lab), cooking certain foods, and bathing the dogs (the soap and scrubbing makes it super slippery and I don't want it to slide off). However, whenever I take it off I usually put it on my necklace chain so it's still with me and I know I won't lose it.
  • The only time I take mine off is when I put any kind of lotion or sanitizer on my hands.

I was super nervous when I first got it, because I work with horses and I was terrified that it would get banged around or lost. We have the insurance on it and I take it into the jewler everytime we go to the mall (I think they are sick of me...), the stones are still perfect in their settings and the band isn't scratched at all.

It's all about your prefrence really. A tip my jeweler told me is if I have a really gross day at the barn to soak it in Windex for 5-10 mintues when I get home. It looks almost brand new afterwards and doesn't damage the gold :)
  • When I first got my ring, I really didn't want to wear it! I don't like jewelry and don't wear it often, so having a ring on my finger felt awkward and bulky, and here's the real kicker - I was the one who picked it out!

So I started off taking it off while I was working.... and while I was on the computer... and basically any time I wasn't out to eat. Sometimes I went days without it on. And then I started putting it on, say, when I went shopping... which became when I went shopping and at work...and while on the computer... and now, guess what? I love it! I wear it all the time!

It just took some getting used to because I am "new" to jewelry, but now it hardly ever leaves my finger. I occasionally take it off to shower or while I'm working at the computer from time to time (I find if I'm cold it slips off and spins easier, which is annoying.) but for the most part, it stays on. :) My FI and I are currently living about 8 hours apart, so it's a nice reminder of what I have to look forward to!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks! I'm looking forward to having my wedding band to wear. I work with young children so it's hard to wear my e-ring at work. I also know that FI won't be able to wear his wedding band at work either (no metal allowed on your body, he's a helicopter pilot). But I always put it on if we go 'out'
  • BreeLBreeL member
    First Comment
    I wear mine all the time. At first I didn't think it would be comfortable to wear all the time (it's a tension setting ring so the band is thicker than most rings to be able to hold the diamond in place) but after awhile, I got used to it. I take if off at night when I shower and before I go to bed and put it on in the morning when I get dressed.
    I'm an art student dealing with a lot of messy supplies but I still wear it to classes. It stays surprisingly clean and any scratches just add to a well-loved look. A friend actually temporarily lost her engagement ring by taking it off for class, and I'm more worried about loosing my ring by taking it on and off throughout the day than if I leave it on my finger all the time. But that's just me! When you get married you could always wear your wedding band by itself if you're still not comfortable with the engagement ring.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I wear mine out.  I take it off to shower and sleep.  I tried to sleep with it on the first night but I got a four inch cut on my arm from it.  I take it off to shower because it's a little big (I lost 15 lbs and half a ring size) so I have to wear a ring snuggie as well.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • butterflies, that's fairly judgmental to say that people who choose not to wear theirs don't want people to know they are taken. You're taking a simplistic, naive view of the ring and the symbol of it. There are many reasons why people don't wear their rings, and even some reasons why they don't wear them in public.

I take mine off when I get home and it doesn't go back on until the next morning. On the weekends, I have forgotten to put them on. Sometimes I just wear my wedding band. Neither is traditional-looking, so someone still might not realize I'm "taken" as you put it.

My husband cannot  wear his to work or during his hobbies for safety reasons. He is a mechanic and even his ID badge is tucked into his shirt. No metal is worn. I would rather have a husband safe and someone not see his ring than him have a ring and end up in the ER with a horrific burn or other terrible injury. Same with dirt biking/ATV riding. If he's got to fix something, metal conducts electricity. If he crashes, it's just one more thing to catch on a machine part or tree limb.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • I wear my ring all of the time. I have taken it off when I first got it due to cooking something that was a bit messy.  The other time it comes off is to have it cleaned.  Good Luck.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image
  • I don't think there's a standard rule on how much you should wear your engagement ring - it's highly personal. I actually have a friend who can't stand the feel of stuff on her hands, so she wears hers on a necklace (yeah, she's a little odd, but in a good way).

To actually answer your initial question, I wear mine almost all the time. I take it off when I'm kneading something (baking) or doing yard work (so I don't lose it). I'd probably take it off when going to the beach, or going rafting.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • RaiKaiRaiKai member
    First Comment
    edited May 2010
    It is totally personal preference.  There is nothing wrong with just not liking to wear it a lot. You are just as engaged (or married) whether you wear a ring or not.

I am not much of a jewelery wearer to begin with. I actually never had an e-ring before my wedding for various reasons, but now I have a sapphire "e-ring" and my wedding band. My original wedding ring was not very comfortable to wear, and I would take it off every night, sometimes forget to wear it the next morning, so I went and changed it (of course I talked to DH about it first!).

My rings now are hugely comfortable. But, I had them made with that goal in mind!. I do wear them almost all the time. I take them off to put on lotions like sunscreen or if I know there is a HUGE risk to the stone (i.e. if I am going hiking or doing the gardening or something) or if I am going to be cooking with raw meat and those sorts of things but otherwise I wear it - whether I am running, sleeping, showering, and so on. I take it off to clean as well every 2-3 days.

I know it is not great to sleep in it...and at first I didn't -  just put both rings in their box - but then I started wearing it and like it. I know that sleeping in rings can damage prong settings but I (nor DH) are opposed to having to get a new ring if I need, or have it repaired, and that is what ring insurance is for.  I want to get my wear out of them. Aside from my piercings, it is the only other jewelery I wear.

My rings are sized about 1/4 size more than I would normally wear so they are a bit loose but won't just come off without me giving some effort due to my larger knuckle. In the summer or when I am very warm they do fit snug. In winter or when it is cold they are rather loose. But I hate the feeling of rings that are too tight, and I prefer when they do spin a bit. I am very used to them and most of the time don't even realize they are there.

That being said, there are lots of people who only wear their rings when they go out for special occassions and the like. I don't think it has anything to do with not wanting people to know they are taken (I actually find the idea that someone is property to be taken a bit disturbing anyway) but rather to do with comfort level or the type of setting (i.e. delicate micropave?), or the type of work they do  and so on.  I know many happily married men and women who no longer wear their rings at all or most of the time.  I know others who have a few rings they change out depending on the day or the event and so on.
  • [QUOTE]I wear it all the time. Except when I HAVE to take it off to follow my nursing school guidelines OR when I'm in the shower (conditioner is a slippery thing!).  Aside from that, I wear it all the time.  <strong>I feel like when people don't wear them by choice, it's like saying "I don't want the world to know I'm taken"</strong>
    Posted by butterflies51908@hotmail.com[/QUOTE]

I disagree. You are no more or less taken whether you wear your ring. FI doesn't have an e-ring, does that mean he doesn't want people to know he's taken?

I wear it out most of the time. I went out with a bunch of girlfriends the other night and wore it, I was so excited that I didn't really notice it (although the drinks were flowing). I was a little annoyed because in the pictures we took that night you could see my little ring snuggie (I know...no one else would notice but me)! Oh, and on the 'taken' thing...I still got hit on at the bar even though I was wearing my ring -so there!

I don't wear it when I go for a run or to lay out at the pool. But at home it just seems easier to put it back in the box. I'm working on it though ladies!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_youdont-wear-e-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:c1fc31f7-422d-4393-b278-bcb9027bf2e0Post:3e85ded9-2f76-4648-a6c3-07a1280b9d5d">Re: When do you/don't you wear your e-ring?</a>:
    [QUOTE]butterflies, that's fairly judgmental to say that people who choose not to wear theirs don't want people to know they are taken. You're taking a simplistic, naive view of the ring and the symbol of it. There are many reasons why people don't wear their rings, and even some reasons why they don't wear them in public. I take mine off when I get home and it doesn't go back on until the next morning. On the weekends, I have forgotten to put them on. Sometimes I just wear my wedding band. Neither is traditional-looking, so someone still might not realize I'm "taken" as you put it. My husband cannot  wear his to work or during his hobbies for safety reasons. He is a mechanic and even his ID badge is tucked into his shirt. No metal is worn. I would rather have a husband safe and someone not see his ring than him have a ring and end up in the ER with a horrific burn or other terrible injury. Same with dirt biking/ATV riding. If he's got to fix something, metal conducts electricity. If he crashes, it's just one more thing to catch on a machine part or tree limb.
    Posted by missy68[/QUOTE]

To each their own, but  it's my opinion and I'll be judgemental when I want to be.  I understand safety reasons, my dad couldn't wear his band to work but that's not a choice.  I think it's rude and inconsiderate to not wear something that symbolizes your love and commitment to one another.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_youdont-wear-e-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:c1fc31f7-422d-4393-b278-bcb9027bf2e0Post:dfa86223-ac04-4674-8ed9-c481f3dbb19b">Re: When do you/don't you wear your e-ring?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I disagree. You are no more or less taken whether you wear your ring. FI doesn't have an e-ring, does that mean he doesn't want people to know he's taken? I wear it out most of the time. I went out with a bunch of girlfriends the other night and wore it, I was so excited that I didn't really notice it (although the drinks were flowing). I was a little annoyed because in the pictures we took that night you could see my little ring snuggie (I know...no one else would notice but me)! Oh, and on the 'taken' thing...I still got hit on at the bar even though I was wearing my ring -so there! I don't wear it when I go for a run or to lay out at the pool. But at home it just seems easier to put it back in the box. I'm working on it though ladies!
    Posted by misscarolb[/QUOTE]

FI does have an e-ring.  People know he's taken.
  • Your fiance wears an e-ring? That's different. And yes -to each their own.
  • i keep mine on 24/7 and take it off wen applyin gel or lotion...and sometimes takin a shower but not all the time!!!...I love my Heart shaped ring!!!Kiss
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards