Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

Are you getting a Wedding Band?

When searching for my e-ring I found that I did not like the majority of the e-ring's with wedding bands. I am hearing more and more that people are just wearing the e-rings without a wedding band as a wedding ring. The ring we did find does have a matching wedding band but I am going to opt to use the e-ring as my wedding ring. What are you doing???? Smile

Re: Are you getting a Wedding Band?

• Options
    We are going to wait because we can't really afford to buy both rings right now since we need things when we move in together after the wedding like a bed haha.  I am going to buy his ring and have it engraved for the wedding and then he is going to get my e-ring engraved since we can't get an actual wedding ring.  Then in a year or two we'll probably get an anniversary wedding band for me that matches my engagement ring.  I love my engagement ring on its own, but he really wants me to have a wedding ring too.  We just figured it would be more economical to wait since my e-ring will work great for the wedding.  And it will add a little special touch that he is getting it engraved beforehand :) 
  • Options
    I am hearing that too.  Another option that a lot of girls are doing is getting a wedding band and wearing their e-ring on their right hand.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I am definitely getting a wedding band as is my fiance. I feel that, personally, it is a very important part of being married. There may be some situations in my life where I am not comfortable wearing my diamond so I would only wear my wedding band.

• Options

I really liked the look of my e-ring by itself:

and I also thought it would look funny to cover up the side diamonds.  I just switched it to my right hand when we got married and now I wear this ring as a wedding "band"

(PIB for larger version of this pic)

I wanted a bold, stand-alone ring for a wedding ring so that I could wear it by itself.

• Options
    One option you didn't list: yes to the wedding band, no engagement ring at all.  That's what I'm doing. 
  • Options
    I personally think the wedding band is more important than the engagement ring. It is the symbol and remembrance of your marriage and the sacred vows you make.
  • Options
    I'm definitely having a wedding band. To me, like was said before, it's more important to have a wedding band than an engagement ring. 
    tiffandshel.tumblr.com
    www.tiffandshel.com/wedding

Photobucket

Anniversary
  • Options
    I really wanted a wedding band as part of a set.  Since my FI picked out the ring himself, that didn't happened, but we were lucky enough this weekend to find one that matched perfectly. 
  • Options
    I suggest having a band... even if its simple with no stones. Not always will you want the big rock on your finger... but you will always want to wear a ring.
  • Options
    I am getting a wedding band. I work at a jewelry store that sells pre-owned jewelry so we don't have the big price tag. We designed my engagement ring so I definately want to wear both.
  • Options
    My ring is a very vintage looking ring with a lot of engraving on the sides. A wedding band would not only take away from the beauty of the ring, but it would just look odd. I always thought the wedding band was unnessecary anyways.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_getting-wedding-band?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:fb1081d8-d984-40e0-9ff2-776196fc537cPost:f660a842-e5d1-4d29-b19c-821ca4d991fa">Re: Are you getting a Wedding Band?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I personally think the wedding band is more important than the engagement ring. It is the symbol and remembrance of your marriage and the sacred vows you make.
    Posted by khornack[/QUOTE]

Me too!  Glad to hear of someone else doing this!
  • Options
    I am getting a wedding band and will wear it all the time. I think it is more important than the engagement ring. For those that are not getting a wedding ring, are you using your engagement ring during the ceremony when you place the ring on each others fingers? 
  • Options
    My boss's wife wears her engagement ring on her RIGHT hand then her diamond wedding band on her left had.  She said all fo the women in her family have always done this.  I think its a great idea!

I was worried my wedding band would look weird with my Ering, so I went shopping a few weeks ago and found it was no problem at all.  I have my wedding ring all picked out and it will look gorgeous! 

I can't waitt to wear it :o)
  • Options
    Im actually getting a diamond band for either side of my e-ring..the setting does not fit in the traditional wraps..Then I figured when im dressed down and just hanging out, I can just wear one of the bands and call it good. I think its all in your own personal taste and budget...anything goes.
  • Options
    I'm definitely about a wedding band!  But, sadly I have a different problem.  I lost my engagement ring last June (I was losing weight and apparently my fingers were the first place where it went; our wedding is in September).  Unfortunately, we can't afford to buy another one right now, which really saddens me, because I don't like the look of just the band in wedding pictures.  But, this is all getting far afield of your question, so...my vote, yes to the band!
  • Options
    lesa.closelesa.close member
    First Comment
    edited April 2010
    Wedding bands don't have to be expensive! I'm looking at getting a simple white gold one and it's only $60 at Kay Jewelers! :0)
  • Options

i definitely think you should go with what you love right now. I have talked to several of my friends and they wished that they didn't have the wedding band but felt obligated to wear it because their husbands spent a lot of money on it. If you don't want right now, then definitely wait. You may want one later on and you can get one for an anniversary or something special like that. my ring definitely would look weird with a band.  
    Jessica Swenson and baby boy
  • Options
    i am actually getting 2 bands, my fiance and i have been together for 9 years so by the time we get married we will almost be together for 10 (so i figured the second one could be like my 10 year anniversary band) and i liked the look of stacked wedding bands like kate beckinsales ring. so we are doing something similar to that, we are getting custom designed like my e-ring.  if people wear just an engagement ring, to me it looks like they arent married and they are just still engaged.  a lot of my friends have done that tho.  i feel like you should do what you like and what makes you happy!
  • Options
    Absolutely! My engagement ring was my grandmother's, so it's quite vintage-looking. We searched consignment stores and jewelers that sold preowned jewelry, and were lucky enough to find a wedding band that matched perfectly! The diamonds are cut in exactly the same way. Sometimes, it just takes a little searching.
  • Options
    I have to agree with a few peoople above. I have the same feeling about the wedding band being more important. e-ring is saying I'll marry you. Wedding band shows that bond, but ultimately like everything else it's up to you. I don't have my e-ring yet, but we are looking at rings that will have a wedding band matched with it. I've said no to a lot of rings that I liked cause it doesn't look right with a wedding band.
    Update 6/13/2010
    June 2011 SiggyChallenge: Wedding Cake
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I have a wedding band to use for the ceremony but will likely switch back and forth between wearing the engagement ring or the band on a day to day basis. My engagement ring has a design that is to hard to match with a band and I know there will be times when I want to have something flat there, not having to worry about banging the engagement ring setting etc.

Also, it's also about being practical. I know many women that are married and older than I that wear just their band, switch out their engagement ring to an anniverary band etc. As one lady I know put it "It's a ring, of course it has sentimental value but at the same time...so does my 10 year anniversary ring, my 20 year anniversary ring...or the ring my husband gave me at our 50th...I want to wear them all but only have so many fingers. Love the symbol, cherish it, but you'll find as the years go on...many more moments and treasure to cherish"

• Options
    my engagement ring is just a simple solitaire and instead of getting a typical wedding band we picked out a "wrap".  It's basically a really slender ring that fits together with the engagement ring and adds a few small diamonds around the engagement ring in a pretty pattern.  When worn together they look like one ring.  I love it!
  • Options
    I haven't decided on this one... I really want to have just my engagement ring by itself (because it wouldn't really go with a band, and many people have already said it looks like it *is* a wedding+engagement ring (it has two crossed bands) even though it is just the e-ring), and was thinking of maybe getting a band and wearing it on my right hand...
    But my fi said that it is important to him that I get a wedding band and wear it on my left with the engagement ring...for some reason I hadn't thought of moving the e-ring to my right hand...maybe that is a good option :-)
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    ? BFP 11/20/10 hb 12/14/10 natural m/c 12/25/10 at 8w3d ?

? BFP 9/18/11 DD born 5/17/12 at 38w3d ?

Fateful appt. 2/11: Saline sono - polyp; thyroid nodule; mycoplasma/ureaplasma STD found & treated ? 3/17/11: Hysteroscopy to remove polyp ? Total thyroidectomy (papillary carcinoma) 4/4/11; RAI 5/9/11
    Cancer killed! 5/19/11
    Medical green-light to TTC 8/15/11..BFP 9/18/11! Photobucket imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Congrats to my TTCAL buddy lauren.cus her adorable daughter and buddy Fallon621 on her little boy!
  • Options
    I'm in the same situation as tblood. My ring is ventage, with tons of little diamonds on the sides, with engraving and a bunch of detail. I'm going to check out some wedding band option, but I think that since the ring it think and very detailed already I might just skip the wedding band and just use the e-ring in my ceremony. It is sentimental enough as it is.
  • Options
    I almost didn't get a wedding band.  My FI picked out my E-ring himself (LOVE IT) and we didn't know that the designer made a wedding band to match it until I saw it in my wedding magazine!  I immediately called the jeweler but they didn't have the band and would have to order it and I'd have to purchase it without trying it.  I didn't feel comforatble with this and don't think my e-ring needs anything more (the band will cover up diamonds on the side).
    Ultimately I am traditional at heart and didn't like the idea of not having one.  My BFF doesn't and is always asked when her wedding is even though she's been married 3 years.
    I found a band that matches really well so I'm excited.  I agree with PPs about sometimes not wanting to wear your e-ring and having a band to wear.  But my band had to be curved to fit my setting so I'm not sure if I would like the look of it alone.
    To each their own.  :)
  • Options
    I agree with the band being an important symbol of a marriage. My FI was given his grandfather's yellow gold band and in turn my mother offered me her band that is white gold inlaid with a yellow gold filagree. It's perfect because the two different golds will match my FI's ring and my e-ring! I just have to get my band resized and I'd like to get it engraved with my parents' initials and the year they were married and ours.

(on a side note, my mother no longer uses this band because my parents got new, matching ones about 3 Christmases ago after my father's band was stolen about 11 years ago...33 years of marriage for them so far! Smile)
  • Options
    My engagment ring is not real (nor is it my style) so I'm wearing it till the wedding day when I plan to get the ring I really want. We have bought a band to go with what I have now and I've been wearing it on my left thumb and I LOVE it! If I do find an engagement ring I can't find a band for I like this is what I'm going to do. And if I do get the band I like with the e-ring I insist that the engagement ring be on first with the wedding band 2nd (backwards than most people wear it) I DO NOT understand why anyone would do otherwise. The e-ring was given first and put on that finger, followed by the wedding band. I look at the wedding band as holding on the e-ring forever!
  • Options
    Mine came as a complete set, e-ring and two bands and we got a super good deal on it but because it's a whole set it actually looks right all together. 
  • Options
    I'm absolutey getting a band - I think it's an important symbol... but I honestly think I want two bands, one for each side of my e-ring Wink

That must be why my FI calls me "Mrs. Rockafeller" haha
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards