Students

Changing FAFSA- is it even allowed?

We're getting married September 5th, this year. However, I'm taking summer classes and therefore need to get my FAFSA in pretty dang soon.
I was wondering, if I turn it in now while I'm single (and a dependent) will I be able to change it come September?

We have our insurance stuff figured out so if need be, we're just going to do it legally now. I mean, if I can't change my FAFSA until next May, well...That's not happening.

I'm calling them tomorrow to see, but does anyone know?

Re: Changing FAFSA- is it even allowed?

• I don't think you can change it. They only care what your status is on the day you fill it out. They let you update the tax information since some people have to fill it out before they have all their tax stuff, but I think that's the only part you can change later. Also, I think it can only be "updated" until July...
  • You can't change it, unfortunately. My FI and I have already filled out the FAFSA but aren't submitting it online until May 23.
    I think you should compare the cost of not having financial aid in the summer and how much financial aid you'd lose out on if you were considered single for the fall. Then make a decision on what to do. Your situation totally sucks; I hope it all works out for you.
    Anniversary
  • I guess we're going to do it at the courthouse this month, then. That way I can actually get grants and money for the coming school year.
    Thanks ladies!
  • definatly cant change it got the info from my financial advisor
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Great questions, I was wondering the same. I got my answers. We are getting married August 14th, but I think once we are married I will get less, because now I got hope and full pell grant.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm not sure if I really agree with PPs who say that if you filed taxes separately for the previous year (2009, in this case), that claiming you're married for the FAFSA doesn't make a difference.

I got married in June of last year and waited to file my FAFSA until after that point, mostly because I was too busy to get to it before the wedding.  When you're married, but haven't yet filed taxes together, you send in both your husband and your taxes (similar to if you had done married, filing separately).  Both sets of taxes are taken into account when determining how much financial aid you will receive for the next school year.

I don't know how much it would affect your financial aid offer, however, as I wasn't a dependent at the time and my husband is also in professional school. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards