Students
Options

Advisor Rant

Ugh, sooooo - I contacted my alma mater like a month ago about going back to get certified for Elementary Education.  The lady I talked to was super sweet and told me I had to fill out a transcript evaluation form and since I was a graduate it would be A) Free and B) I wouldn't have to send my transcripts since they already have them.

I also asked about alternatives, and she said since I had my B.S. I could also sub, but not teach (I'd asked about teaching FCS at the secondary level, since there's an opening locally and my BS is in FCS).

I sent in my appropriate form near the end of July, my eval should have been done the 1st.

Yesterday, I find out 2 key things that I'm seriously grudging against her right now:

1 - I could be a FT teacher's aide, not just a sub, since one of the NCLB "qualification" options is 60 credit hours, which my B.S. definately covers.  I could have looked for an aide job a month ago, but all of the districts around here start next week.  I missed the deadline for apply to an opening at my FSS's school by a few days.  Some schools around here pay more than $20/hr for entry level aides.  I know I didn't directly ask, but I didn't *know* to ask.  You'd think as the I&C advisor she would have known that minor tidbit.

2 - Apparently I *do* have to pay a fee as a graduate, just not as much as non-grads.  Also, the person I sent my paperwork didn't feel the need to contact me in that regard so I've been impatiently checking the mail everyday for no reason.  Even if I send a check it today, there's no way it'll get there in time for evaluations on the 15th, meaning it won't be done until September 1st, after the start of term.

Still exploring options, just not terribly happy about it.

/rant
Formerly known as flutterbride2b
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards