California-Inland Empire
Options

Taxes on houses

What do you pay in taxes on your home?
CRAFTY ME

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
my read shelf:
Kasi's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Re: Taxes on houses

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Based off the previous assessed value and with the "city beautification" taxes we pay $4200 a year.  Now that the house has been reassessed I'm thinking it will be cut in half since the the house was reassessed at 3x less than what is was before.  Probably $2200 In 2013 I expect it to be reduced by 1/2 again once the "beautification" tax bond (or whatever) matures.  Eventually we'll be paying around $1400. 
    CRAFTY ME

my read shelf:
    Kasi's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    sv4338sv4338 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we pay $4800 a year our property was re figured and they dropped like $200 maybe this is because our home went down BUT our land is still highwhatever the helllllll that means!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think we pay around $4500
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ahh, so we all pay super high taxes.  some of the houses we looked at had taxes over $6000!!! 
    CRAFTY ME

my read shelf:
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    we pay 0$ =)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My favorite of all the houses we looked at was this awesome bank owned house that was on the south side of Redlands near my mom and we could have totally been able to afford it but when we found out the taxes were over $7000 we decided to not go for it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    holy crap... thats nuts!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We ended up being outbid on the house and were so happy to not counter. I still dream about that house though :(
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    HAHA.  Same thing happened to us.  i called the house "dream house" because it was perfect.  We also were outbid then I found out taxes were over $6000.  AGH!
    CRAFTY ME

my read shelf:
  • Options
    sdkissezsdkissez member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We were originally told that our taxes would be $12000 a year, but when we got our bill it was only $8000 because the rate was lower than what we were told. We do pay a $2500 EMWD fee. Last year our taxes dropped to $6000 and I know it will go down again this year to about $4800. But, I also pay $3500 for my other house. So, I pay up the wazoo every Dec. and April. =)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    OUCH Rebecca! 
    CRAFTY ME

my read shelf:
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Keep talking sd, it makes me happy that I don't own a house! lol ;)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    seriously... holy bajesus am i finally happy for once to be renting!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Seriously, owning a house is awesome.  OK, maintenance sucks but it's nice to know you own a bg investment.  Taxes depend on area and housing tract.  If it's a newer house it is likely that the builders borrowed $ and guess who pays it back!?  Us in our taxes.  All the houses built recently that we looked at had taxes at $6000/year.  The house we bought was built 11 years ago and it has the extra taxes on it as well but not nearly as high.  The taxes were placed on the land the house was built on in the 1980s and will mature in 2013.  These ae things you have to look at when buying a home.  It all adds in to the cost.  BTW, I am paying an $844 mortgage and that's including all taxes and insurance...now how is tha better tan rent??
    CRAFTY ME

my read shelf:
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Bre and Lacey- I will show you my water and electric bill and that should make you feel better about renting too. When I rented I never had to pay for water so I had no clue what it would cost and I never lived on my own for a summer in So Cal so to have an electric bill with as much as we run our AC is crazy!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We try to use fans as much as possible.  Our electric bill has been $30 or so until last month.  we ran the A/C non-stop and it was $112.  UGH.  So now we're back to using fans to cool off. As for water we are at about $60/month, that includes trash as well.  Not so bad.  We were paying about $45 in an apartment.  One time we ran our sprinklers too much and we got penalized and had to pay $160 for our water.  Owning a house (in our case) cost just slightly over the cost of renting.Rent - $899Water/trash - $45Elec - $60Total - $1004/monthMortgage - $844Water/trash - $65Elec - $30Total - $939Oh, I take that back.  We are paying less total with owning a home.  So I guess it just depends on the cost of the house, the area, and how much you use your water & A/C.I'm trying to give them hope Amber!!
    CRAFTY ME

my read shelf:
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hahaha! Well our electric bill for last month was around $275 and our water bill was close to $200. Redlands is not cheap
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Holy crap Amber!!  Another reason I am sooo happy I stayed away from the area.  Oh wow!  But you also have a pool so that eats up electricity.  Ok girls, don't move to Redlands.
    CRAFTY ME

my read shelf:
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The pool is a total money pit. We have to run the pump all the time and add water to it so I think thats a big reason why both of those bills are so high. We are planning on draining it for the winter so that should help
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh good.  Your bills will cut in half I bet.  Andrew didn't want a house with a pool for that reason but I did and I didn't care how much it cost.  but now that I see the true cost I think we'd be even more broke than we are.
    CRAFTY ME

my read shelf:
  • Options
    sv4338sv4338 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    WTF!!!!! My household bills are $3,300. thats just mortgage, insurance and bills NOT including internet and cable!We bought our house because it's on a culde-sac a block away from an elemetary school, park and firestation but mainly becuase of the school district.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    we pay really high taxes too, but we knew it going into it. we're in a "masterplanned community" that is still being developed and we're on the golf course, so we have a lot of extra stuff and mello roos, etc. it is fun being a homeowner. its not fun that our house is worth $100k less than we bought it for. amber, my IL's are in south redlands and thats where we want to end up eventually.. in one of the huge houses with a tennis court, preferably :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I bought my house when the market crashed so that's why it's so low.  The previous owners bought it for $325,000.  Their mortgage was probably closer to $2700. 
    CRAFTY ME

my read shelf:
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Eventually I plan to get out of the IE and move back down to North County San Diego.
    CRAFTY ME

my read shelf:
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Jojo- Where do your IL's live? My mom lives on San Jacinto St just off of Highland Ave. I always thought I would buy in that area but it was still too expensive when we were looking. I am supposed to inherit the Redlands house so maybe someday we will be neighbors :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    aww, that would be cool :)they live near the country club, kind of. they live deeper up into a neighborhood and i don't know street names, i just know what it looks like to get there. there are reaaallly gorgeous houses up there. jon is redlands born and raised and i like it there too, especially up in the hills where there is a lot of privacy. all of our friends are like "i'm moving to OC, SD, etc" and i'm happy right there :)
  • Options
    sdkissezsdkissez member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My electric bill this month was $495!  I so wish I had Kasi's bills.  Out monthly bills for the house come up to about $3000 a month.  This does not include insurance or taxes, nor does it account for car payments, car insurance, credit cards, etc....
  • Options
    sdkissezsdkissez member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh, and since my renters are a month and a half behind rent, I pay $1600 a month for the mortgage on that house in addition to our own monthly bills.  How I can still shop for myself is a complete mystery. =)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh man, I haven't even included car payments and all the other bills we have.  That's why we are poor.  The mortgage and utilities are great...the other bills are what kill us yet we don't want to downsize anything so we suffer through it.  If we include all that other stuff then we would be up in the thousands as well.  Too many thousands for my liking.I couldn't handle a $1600 mortgage on top of everything else.  This is what scares me about owning a rental property.  You are being awfully nice to them after what they pulled a few months ago on you.  Or are these new renters?   
    CRAFTY ME

my read shelf:
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    BTW, we don't make very much $.  I am betting you all make a lot more than we do so we have to keep our costs as low as possible so we can still have some type of play $. 
    CRAFTY ME

my read shelf:
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards