40-Plus Brides
Options

Intro

Hi all - I am 40 and a new grandmother as of yesterday and my kids are 20 and 11.
My fiance is 40 as well and has a 22 year old who lives in London.

Out of curiosity for anyone who has been married before, what are you planning?
Do you still include your kids if they are younger?
I inlcuded my son in the first wedding, faamily medallion and unity candle.
I am just wanting to talk to others who have been through this before.
Seems like a lot of the other boards are going full out, expensive weddings and doing everything. Would be nice to have others to talk to!

We are getting married in a few months. My parents 50th anniversary is next weekend.

Good luck to you all
M

Re: Intro

• Options
    Welcome and Congrats, 

I am 43 and FI is 51. We have 7 kids between us ranging from 14 to 26. FI's 20 year old just annouced that she is pregnant and due the week of her 21st birthday, which is also the week that we get married. His son had a baby just this past December so he is already a Grandpa. He tells me I will be a Grandma once we are married, trying to embrace that one. We have both been married before, each for 20 years.  I was finally divorced about a year and half ago and his was final last Oct. 

We are getting married in Maui so yes the kids that are able to take the time off and go with us, so far 3 of them, are coming and will participate in some way just not sure exactly how yet. We will be going over 4 days before the wedding and the kids will fly back with my Dad the day after.  FI and I will then HM at a different resort the week after. Can't wait, just bought the plane tickets and it seems so real now. I usually hang out on the HI board just because a lot of stuff pertains to my type of wedding, but I recently went out of my box and started to actually click on some of the blue arrows to see that there are other boards here. LOL 

Wow 50 years for your parents. That is amazing. What type of wedding will you be having? Are you thinking of including your kids? 
  • Options
    Hi - hope you don't mind my jumping in! My husband (it's a second marriage for both of us) has a 16-year-old son, and we wanted to include him but not make him uncomfortable or think he had to somehow betray his mother by his participation. We asked him if he wanted to be my husband's best man, but he wasn't comfortable with that, so we came up with this idea: my mother and DH's father are both deceased. At the start of the ceremony, during the processional, we had his son take up a picture of his father, and my niece take up a picture of my mother, and put them on a table at the front of the church. He was very willing to do this, and it was a meaningful moment for all of us.

I think asking them how they'd like to participate is always a good idea, so they feel part of the process but not pressured to do it if they don't want to...

Linda
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • Options
    I am 45 and my DH is 46.  It was my first marriage and his second.  He has a 23 year old son from his first marriage and he was DH's Best Man.  I did however want to include my niece as well as his (9 and 12, respectively) so I had two junior bridesmaids.  I must admit, I had the big to-do.  I really wanted a big, fun, party where everyone could eat, drink, and dance the night away in celebration of us FINALLY finding each other.

I agree with pp's and think it is a great idea to ask your children how they want to be involved.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm 44 and so is my fiance.  We have 7 kids between us ranging from 6 to 23.  I just became a grandma last September. 
    We are going all out...it is both of our second marriages...his first wife passed away in early 2010.  I divorced in early 2010.  He had a HUGE first wedding, mine was pathetic.  This will be different that his first, and way different than my first.
    We will have about 70 guests...going all out wherever we feel like it...I'm wearing my dress, a veil, and red shoes.  Our 5 youngest that are still at home with us and becoming a blended family will be in the wedding.  
    My advice...it is your day...do what feels right and makes you happy!  :)  
    Karla Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I am getting married in 3 weeks.  I am 51 and have been divorced for 17 years; I have a 21 year old daughter.  My FH has never been married.  I didn't really have a wedding the first time...so we are having a "traditional" wedding.  I feel funny about pickingout the songs for the processional...any advice for an older bride?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards