Illinois-Chicago
Options

So what is the point of giving you my budget?

So my coordinator/bestie and I went to meet with a florist yesterday. She owns the business herself and does really pretty work. I gave her my budget before we set down on yesterday and had pretty much answered all of her questions through email. Well, we sit down and look at some of her pics and I found the flowers that I liked and we went with those. She, of course, was not able to give me a quote right then, but did send me an email about 3 hours later. She gave me a quote of $250 OVER my budget. REALLY????  I guess she didn't want my business. I would think that she would have made some suggestions or something so that we could stay close to my budget. I could see $150 but $250???

Oh well. We have 2 more appts between this weekend and next. Hopefully someone does us a little better.
And the whole time, my future husband was in the room...... image image

Re: So what is the point of giving you my budget?

• Options
    morgie44morgie44 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am not sure what your overall budget is, but I if you like this florists work, I would tell him/her that the absolute most you can spend is xxx and see if there are some modifications that you can make that will help you stay within that.  Including a stem or two less in each arrangement could easily add up to that amount.
  • Options
    jbll326jbll326 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Did you ask her for suggestions to keep within the budget? IMHO, 250 over isn't that awful considering the overall cost and is definitely workable in that you can cut a few things here and there, as morgie suggested.
    Have you responded to her? Did you talk about alternatives to the flowers you had chosen? If you like her work a lot and the meeting went well, I wouldn't rule her out quite yet until you see what the other florists have to offer.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't be shocked to get a quote 250 over my budget, especially if your budget is on the low side.  Is it itemized?  That way if you want to see where you can cut 250, you will know where you can do it.
    GP February Siggy Challenge:
    Black History Month

TTC since Feb 2012
    Diagnosed with PCOS and anovulation
    2 round clomid 1 round femara--no response
    1st round injectables/IUI 1/31---BFP! BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You should push back on her and see if she can cut the costs down a bit, but I wouldn't be shocked and offended by a quote $250 over your budget.  You told her the types of flowers you wanted, she went off and did some calculations and realized it would be a little over your budget.  I'd rather my florist give me the option of going with the flowers I liked rather for a little extra.
  • Options
    Sparkette19Sparkette19 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Not too much phases me anymore when it comes to wedding costs. However, when I met with my florist we went through what I wanted first, then she tallied up the costs and made suggestions of what I could substitute to bring down the cost. If you really like this florist, explain that you would like to use the quote as a jumping off point and ask about substitutions.

I've also learned that no price is set in stone. If you show a willingness to work with a vendor they will, in turn, work with you. If you still can't come to an agreement then you should probably walk away.

If you don't show a willingness to be flexible at least with some points I have a feeling that you may be disappointed a lot along the way.
    When you're born in Chicago you're blessed and you're healed the first time you walk into Wrigley Field. My Bio
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well, the plan is to talk to the other 2 florists and then see what we come up with. I just felt that when she emailed me the quote, knowing my budget, she would have made some suggestions about how I could cut costs. Maybe I will ask her about taking out a few stems and then buying our own tule. She is charging $125 for that. Crazy!! I have had much success in sticking to my budget and have even been able to add some things to our original ideas. I just felt that here she would have, at least, made some suggestions as to what we could do to stick to our budget.
    And the whole time, my future husband was in the room...... image image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Tulle is 12 cents a yard, so if that is the budget breaker, I think you can get your own:)
    Steph & Brandon 4.17.10
    Planning Bio
    Married Bio - Updated 7.2
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    She probably figured you were in love with the flowers and would go with it.

I called one florist to set up an appointment and she informed me that her minimum for a wedding was $3,000 and most were $5,000 - $7,000.  Hey lady, they're going to die in 2 days.  We obviously went with someone else.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Good for you for sticking to your budget. Wedding items are all marked up several hundred percent. E mail her back and tell her you will consider her offer, but she is over your budget by 250. You will get back with her after meeting with some other florists.
    Have you tried Kristen from Kio Kreations? She is a very hip young florist and event designer and will stick to your budget, she does georgous work and is budget friendly. www.kiokreations.com check out her galleries. She has a great style.
    Good Luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    This happened to us as well with a highly recommended florist on 'The Knot.'  We have a pretty decent budget (I think?) for flowers between ceremony/reception/bridal party etc.  Upon first contact with the vendor, I provided the budget information, flowers we wanted etc.  I received the 'quote' back from the florist, after a week of no contact from them, not only did they completely ignore my budget, the 'quote' is over $5,000!  The email was signed to contact them for a consultation, but I feel they pretty well made their point about not wanting my business. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards