Illinois-Chicago
Options

Hello Brides/Brides to be:

I am newly engaged, almost two weeks, and although we agreed not to set a date yet my mind is just going in circles. For starters I don't think I want to have bridesmaids, has anyone had a weddiing or heard of a wedding with no bridesmaids? How did it work out? I just don't want to deal with the drama of having them.

Thanks

Re: Newbie

• Options
    CASK85CASK85 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Congrats and welcome!

Take things one step at a time is my best advice. 

You don't need to have bridesmaids if you don't want to. But first figure out your budget, guest list, and date/location. Most people recommend not worrying about the bridal party until about 6-8 months before the wedding. 

Hope this helps :) stick around - this board is a great resource!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi and congrats! I got engaged about 5 months ago and felt so overwhelemed at first too! The boards have helped me a lot to get organized and get ideas!

If you don't want briesmaids, dont have them! Although you may want to make sure you have someone to help you the day of to keep track of your things and help with little stuff (a day of coordinator could do this as well!). You have lots of time to figure it all out so take your time and enjoy the process! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Congrats!!  It's your wedding, do what you want :)  The boards are great for ideas.  P.S. Never too early to start looking at venues ;)
    imageimageLilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Congrats and welcome!!  Tell us about your proposal :)

You don't have to have any bridesmaids... next time i'm planning a wedding I will not have any either!  Less drama to have to deal with. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies you guys made me feel better about my decision. And here goes my proposal story.

My bday is July 14th, so my boyfriend (fiance now:) told me we were going somewhere for my bday but that it was a surprise. He gave me a list of things to bring, and I tried to be sneaky and asked him if I needed my passport, he said No! I was really confused then I though maybe it was a trip to Florida. The day of my bday we got up at 2:30 am drove to his cousins house left his car there and we took a cab to Ohare, once at the airport he checked us in I still didn't know where to. We passed security and then proceeded to sit and wait after 20 min or so he told me we had to get on the plane, it was a flight to Dallas, I was thinking to myself Dallas??? Once in Dallas he made me think his cousin was picking us up because he has family that lives in Dallas. I was pretty bummed what could I possible do in Dallas. About 15 min later I heard our names paged on the intercom for a final call to board to Cabo San Lucas, so finally he surprised me with a trip to Cabo I was so happy and I thought that was it for surprises. When we arrived at our hotel we checked in, settled in, and then headed down to the beach which was pretty empty we sat and talked for a bit and he asked me to marry him, it was very sweet and unexpected. And here I am nowEmbarassed
  • Options
    aimers1525aimers1525 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_illinois-chicago_newbie-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:72Discussion:9ccf564b-a6f4-4e20-95c0-baf33d88eebcPost:4dc8b089-5cf9-4717-8925-cc18d041bcb4">Re: Newbie</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks ladies you guys made me feel better about my decision. And here goes my proposal story. My bday is July 14th, so my boyfriend (fiance now:) told me we were going somewhere for my bday but that it was a surprise. He gave me a list of things to bring, and I tried to be sneaky and asked him if I needed my passport, he said No! I was really confused then I though maybe it was a trip to Florida. The day of my bday we got up at 2:30 am drove to his cousins house left his car there and we took a cab to Ohare, once at the airport he checked us in I still didn't know where to. We passed security and then proceeded to sit and wait after 20 min or so he told me we had to get on the plane, it was a flight to Dallas, I was thinking to myself Dallas??? Once in Dallas he made me think his cousin was picking us up because he has family that lives in Dallas. I was pretty bummed what could I possible do in Dallas. About 15 min later I heard our names paged on the intercom for a final call to board to Cabo San Lucas, so finally he surprised me with a trip to Cabo I was so happy and I thought that was it for surprises. When we arrived at our hotel we checked in, settled in, and then headed down to the beach which was pretty empty we sat and talked for a bit and he asked me to marry him, it was very sweet and unexpected. And here I am now
    Posted by buriostegui[/QUOTE]
    awww congrats! What a great proposal story!

My DH tricked me into thinking we were going on a cruise, but instead I found out we were going to Orlando where he ended up proposing at Disney World :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That is such a cool proposal story! congrats!
  • Options
    iyappaiyappa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh congrats!!!!

Yeah I think picking the venue / date is the hardest part.  I thought I was way ahead of time planning a year in advance.... but all the venues were booking so quickly for the summer 2012.

I don' t think it is bad not to have bridesmaids.  I have been going back and forth since I am not tied to many wedding tradiations.  However, I do want to incorporate friends and family.  I asked one of my friends if she wanted to be the officiant... (yes I did get the idea from Friends where Joey married Monica and Chandler).  Also If I so have bridesmaid I am not going to have them wear matching outfits.  It will save them $ and cut out all the dress picking drama.

Good luck with everything :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards