Hawaii
Options

Sew in cups or wear a strapless bra?

I have my first alterations appt. tomorrow and I think I'd prefer to have cups sewn into my dress so I don't have to worry about a bra showing - for those who did this did you like it or were you uncomfortable? Not to be TMI but I'm a B cup so I'm not worried about not having enough support :)  Also, my bodice has boning and isn't a thin material so I don't think the cups would show. 

Oh and did you buy the cups or did the person doing your alterations provide them for a cost? Thanks!
IAmPregnant Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Sew in cups or wear a strapless bra?

• Options
    breanessbreaness member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think sewn in cups will work just fine for you, especially since you have the boning in the dress. I'm somewhere between an A cup and a B cup and typically strapless bras just don't work for me.

For my prom gown back in HS the lady who did my alterations provided the cups that she sewed into the dress.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I did sew-in cups and they just make so much sense! The fewer layers, the better, imho. My seamstress had them, so I just went through her.
  • Options
    cryssvcryssv member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    that's too funny - I was driving to work today and this question popped into my head on the way. I have my alterations in 2 weeks and they have told me to think about this option....... I'm somewhere between an A/B and don't want to look "flat" in my dress LOL. Do the cups provide you with a little extra or are they only for support?
    451x156 proportions
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    sld0618sld0618 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm having them sewn in.  One less thing to worry about and I really don't need a bra in mine!  Plus that would just be more sweaty :)
  • Options
    carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you can, DEFINITELY do the sewn-in cups.  Even with a larger chest, if your dress has a corset back, they're pretty supportive all on their own. You really will not want another piece of hot material on you in Hawaii.  Plus, it's one less thing to worry about.  
    My alterations person had the cups herself, and just sewed them in.  I think she may have charged like $10 for them, but it was folded into the bill, so I didn't notice.
  • Options
    TashaK24TashaK24 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm debating whether I'm going to do cups or not.  I'm a DD (sometimes DDD) so I don't know if the cups will cut it... but getting the bra to fit right and not show can be a pain in the butt!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    @Tasha - I would talk to your seamstress about it.  Maybe she can sew in the cups, you can test it out to see if it works for you, and if not, then have her take them out and go with the strapless bra.  I don't think it's a big job to sew the cups in.  :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I hadn't even thought of this, when I tried on my gown I was in a corset and just assumed I'd buy one...didn't even consider the sweaty heat factor or the option of sewing in cups. I still feel like I will go with a corset though because it seemed to suck my tummy in and fill out my chest more. I will endure the discomfort and heat if it means I look a little slimmer! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    @sparkle - I think maybe your confusing the corset back of the dress (which is a style of dress that is very slimming b/c it literally pulls you in) with the push-up bustier style bra (which you would buy separately).  If your dress already has a corset back and boning, it's got lots of structure to make you look slimmer, and you probably don't need anything else like a bustier (in fact, it might be more bulk) .  I'm not small at all, and my corset back dress with the ta-tas sewn in worked great and kept me from having to wear another hot layer of material.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_sew-cups-wear-strapless-bra?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:73Discussion:1095ac5d-2fb3-477d-a628-831b6121a7e8Post:260d121c-77e0-4787-8b53-f4338fb639b0">Re: Sew in cups or wear a strapless bra?</a>:
    [QUOTE]@sparkle - I think maybe your confusing the corset back of the dress (which is a style of dress that is very slimming b/c it literally pulls you in) with the push-up bustier style bra (which you would buy separately).  If your dress already has a corset back and boning, it's got lots of structure to make you look slimmer, and you probably don't need anything else like a bustier (in fact, it might be more bulk) .  I'm not small at all, and my corset back dress with the ta-tas sewn in worked great and kept me from having to wear another hot layer of material.
    Posted by carrieoz_76[/QUOTE]

Yeah thats what i meant - a bustier was what i was considering buying. The back of my dress just zips up. I'll have to see the bulk difference with & without it.
  • Options
    TripleAubsTripleAubs member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had chosen cups, but when I went in for my final fitting, it just didn't feel right! A) the seamstress put them in not a good location (easily fixable but still) and B) the dress style I had just wasn't tight enough to make the cups support my body. I ended up having the seamstress take out the boning (which looked unnatural) and got one of those sticky backless low-cut bras from Victoria's Secret. It totally stayed throughout the whole day, gave me support and I didn't even notice it was there!

I would bring some bras as options to your fitting, even if you have to buy and return them. It could be helpful just in case you don't like the feel of the cups or they don't work.

a+k

Photobucket

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the advice ladies! I ended up going with sewn in cups - they felt fine and they filled the top out a little more too :) 
    IAmPregnant Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards