Delaware

Cocktail Wedding Reception in/near Delaware

Hi Knotties!

So we wanted to do just a small, immediate family wedding ceremony so are just having one on the cruise ship right before we depart for our honeymoon, which also includes a brief reception for ourselves & our families.

We would still like to have a somewhat formal reception when we return home, to invite all of our family & friends to. The above obviously comes with a cost so we do not wish to do a full, all-out reception, so were thinking maybe a cocktail reception or something similar -- still somewhat inclusive as to having decorations, a cake, a DJ, and drinks & hors d'ourves/food, etc. (just at a lower cost per person/overall cheaper price yet still have a reception-like feel, just a little more simple.)

So my question is, does anyone know of any venues in Delaware or any surrounding areas (PA, MD or NJ) that offer cocktail receptions or something similar/cheaper than a full reception, or have any other ideas/suggestions as to what we can do?

We are not opposed to renting a tent and having a tented reception and just getting a caterer, however, do not have the room in anyone's yards and I am not sure of any places that will allow you to rent an outside space, and if you are allowed to bring alcohol.

Thanks ladies! :)

Re: Cocktail Wedding Reception in/near Delaware

• edited December 2011
    I know Wintethur does cocktail receptions but I'm not sure of pricing. It's cheaper of course than a sit down dinner reception though. It's a beautiful venue and highly requested so I'm sure that plays into the price aswell but check them out.
  • gmcr78gmcr78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You could probably rent a space in most area restaurants.  A lot of them will do private parties with a full bar and apps.
  • edited December 2011
    I LOVE Winterthur! It was actually my first pick, but even just the cocktail reception is $110/pp :( We're trying to keep it somewhere below $100 due to the number of guests on our guestlist.
  • MrsPnky2BMrsPnky2B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Greenville Country Club. Linda Gaynor is a FANTASTIC coordinator and they will negotiate on most everything.  If they don't have a wedding reception booked your day then even more reason for them to negotiate and allow a cocktail reception. It's a beautiful yet cozy venue and I loved the h'ors d'ouevres better than the entree but I'm an h'ors d'ouevres kind of girl.

The folks that own Washington Street Ale House, Mikimotos, and Presto also will do a per person dinner that can cost less than typical reception venues. They also have a private room to do it in. I think they are owned by the Cherry Tree Group.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • EventsbySEEventsbySE member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There are so many unique venues around DE that are small and offer a unique intimate setting- Hagley, Buena Vista, Rockford Carriage House, Delaware Center for Horticulture and more! I did an event at Buena Vista with Washington Street Ale House as a caterer and the bride & groom just opted to do hors d'ouevres and it turned out amazing! It was so intimate and everyone had a great time!
  • If you are interested in Center City there's a place called The Print Center on Latimer Street, very gallery.  Small outdoor area as well.  Not too expensive especially for CC Philadelphia.  Congrats!
  • Try cafe Gellato in newark.  They do all kinds of receptions and are reasonably priced.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards