Nebraska-Omaha

Catering Questions!

We are having a July wedding next year and have just started planning. . . So I was wondering - is it better to have a venue that provides catering or to bring in outside catering? We are thinking a hot buffet style meal (chicken, pasta, salad, etc.). What are your experiences/suggestions about buffet meals and outside catering and what kind of pricing is considered reasonable? Thanks for the advice!!!

Re: Catering Questions!

• edited December 2011
    Finding a separate caterer is almost always cheaper.  Our meals are from Johnny's Italian Steakhouse and are 30+/person.  

I'd advise you to look for recommendations from your venue--they should have a list of caterers they've worked with.  

Also, sometimes buffets are cheaper because there is a possibility for higher risk of unused food.  So, you may want to check into a plated dinner!  Good luck :-)
  • edited December 2011
    I would definitely find a place that will allow you to bring in your own caterer. We are having our reception at the Marriott, and although I absolutely LOVE it there, we are spending at least $40 per person for a sit-down dinner. Our friends had their reception at the Scottish Rite downtown and had Catering Creations do their catering and the food was amazing and I believe pretty reasonably priced. 
  • Chasity08Chasity08 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would definitely bring in your own caterer, but be warned, there are not very many halls that do this. One of the more popular halls in Omaha that does allow outside catering is Legacy Hall. They charge $1300 rental on Friday nights, $1700 rental on Saturday nights, you can bring in your own food and alcohol.

We are using Schierbrock's Catering out of Neola, IA. We are doing a served buffet that includes: 2 meats, 2 potatoes, 2 vegetables, 2 salads, rolls, coffee/tea, plates, silverware, napkins and cups....for $9.50 per person.

HTH! Good luck! =]
  • edited December 2011

Chastity,

Is there a website for  your caterer? My FI and are getting ready to start choosing who we want and he is all about good food and I am all about not a huge price as we are on a budget. Any info you can give regarding who you chose would be great!

• cerissacerissa member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Make sure you check with your venue on who provides tables, chairs, linens, china, stemware, flatware, set up, service and clean up and if you need security.  Sometimes extra costs can add up and if you have to do any work yourself ...it can be much better to go to a venue that does it all for you. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards