Iowa-Des Moines

Silk Flowers?

I met with someone about flowers last night, and was quoted about $700 (minimum) for the flowers I wanted - I nearly choked! I only want calla lillies - bouquets, boutonnieres, corsages, and 4 centerpieces. I simply can't bring myself to pay that!

So I'm going to give it a go myself! It seems simple enough...  :D

Does anyone have any advice on where to buy quality silk flowers?? Have you done or seen silk flowers used? Thoughts on silk versus real flowers?

Any feedback would be GREATLY appreciated! Thank you!!

Re: Silk Flowers?

• edited December 2011
    I just put together my bridesmaid bouquets, FI's aunt is going to help me put them together a little nicer and add the ribbon to it but overall I was really happy with them. I got mine at Michaels. I'm not going to lie at first at the store I thought thies are definitely going to look fake I'm not going to like them blah blah but once I got home and actually cut them and taped them together they looked a lot nicer than I was trying to picture them at the store. I was really happy with them :)  I haven't looked anywhere else so I guess I'm biased but I thought Michaels had great flowers and they had a good selection too.

BTW They had some cala lilles there and I thought they looked really really real. It made me want to switch my flowers to those while I was at the store haha
  • edited December 2011
    I know a woman in SW Iowa that uses silk flower arrangements for weddings, parties, etc. that she decorates.  Unless you want to keep everything, you can rent anything (bird bath, flower arrangements, etc.) from her for $20 each.  Otherwise, I think a big bouqet is $100-200 to keep, but don't quote me on that for sure.  I'm not sure where you are located, but she lives about an hour southwest of Des Moines.  If you are interested in her information, send me a message and I will give you her information.  You can always just call her and ask her about it.  She is an artist as well and has done paintings in the Des Moines area so she does travel.
  • edited December 2011
    Hello! I'm new to these boards, but I am also thinking about using silk flowers. My stepsister used silks and they looked great! She bought hers at JW Perry, which is in Des Moines. I don't think they have online catalogs or anything and I haven't gotten a chance to go look there yet, but hers looked good. Hope this helps!
  • edited December 2011
    I've bought most of mine at Hobby Lobby. They have "real touch" flowers. They do look and feel like real ones. They're not cheap, but they have 50% off floral stems about every other week, just watch their ad.

Nancy
  • sumac50310sumac50310 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am doing the flowers for my niece's wedding in August.  We are also using calla lilies with roses, casablanca lilies and hydrangeas.  Depending on your color choice, we found the most realistic callas were on the www,ren2k.com website.  You can find Real Touch silks on-line by typing Real Touch silk floral in your search engine.  They are expensive, but are the most realistic looking silks I have seen.  I have been doing silk floral for 20 years.  Michaels and Hobby have a good selection and you can order the amount you need as long as the flowers you need are an "in-stock" item. 
  • edited December 2011
    I just finished making my own.  I wanted orchids/hydrangeas/callas and knew I could not afford the real deal, so I watched for Hobby Lobby and Michaels to put their flowers 50% off and bought everything.  I got some VERY real-looking callas at Hobby Lobby.  

I also recommend buying a Bravo hand-tied bouquet holder (at Hobby Lobby).  It is a plastic tube with foam in it.  You can cut up the stems of the silk flowers and stick them in the bottom so that the bouquets look real.  I also googled "french knot" and found out how to wrap ribbon around the plastic handles.

All in all, I did my bouquet and 5 bridesmaids for less than $100.  If you are interested in more detail about how to do it, I would love to share.  I am proud of my work ha!
  • edited December 2011
    Courtney,

I would love to hear more on how you did this.  I cannot use real flowers (allergies) so have decided on the real touch calla lillies.  I'm thinking of making my bouquet with 6 or so callas, with onion grass loops.  My MOH I'd like to do 4, same style, and my bm I'd like to do 2-3, same style.

My real issue right now is bouts.  Everytime I go to HL (weekly) they only have the huge callas.  Do they make Callas small enough for bouts?

Any and all info you'd like to share will be greatly appreciated!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards