Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul
Options

Order of Dances

So (leading off the Grand March post  below), I was talking with a friend last weekend and she asked about my music.  I said I planned on doing Tonight's Gonna be a Good Night right after the first dance (Dark Waltz) to get everyone on the dance floor.  She said the father/daughter dance usually comes right after the first dance.  I thought I had always seen that done later in the night, to spread things out.  Am I wrong?  When are you doing all your "special dances?"

Re: Order of Dances

• Options
    LittleSweetieLittleSweetie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did ours all at the beginning so we wouldn't interrupt the dance later on. First dance Father/Daughter Mother/Son Anniversary Dance Up in the air is the Dollar Dance. I personally despise these since the break up the dance with a series of slow songs that drag on forever, and I think it's just tacky in general to ask your guests for (more) money. So, we didn't do one, but it's usually at 8-9 at night - not too late into the dance, but not right away either.
    Our big girl, Cora, and our sneaky kitty, Roxy

Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    hmmm, i think i've usually seen the 1st dance, father/daughter, mother/son, etc. dances all done at the beginning, I assume just b/c it's logistically simple and it gets them all out of the way. That being said, it can sometimes take a while to get through all of that when they are back to back to back, which can be boring for impatient guests like me who are DYING to work my moves on the dancefloor so I don't see why you couldn't spread them out. Your DJ can announce you and your dad later on, it might be a nice break for people who are working up a thirst shaking their boo-tays. I say do what works for you and what feels right for the flow of your reception.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Maria92609Maria92609 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would spread them out if that is what you really want.We are beign very intentional about not having too many special dances all in a row, because we don't want our guests to feel like they are waiting too long for their turn to dance.   We are actually doing our first dance before dinner (right after we are introduced) and then are starting off the dance after dinner with a parent dance (father-daughter, mother-son, other mom-dad all at once) that will snowball to include other special guests, so that by the start of the second song there are already a good number on the dance floor and everyone feels welcome to join us. 
  • Options
    hkieslinghkiesling member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're planning on combining the father/daughter and mother/son dance (either each do half of the same song or blend two half-songs together).  We might do an anniversary song because we have lots of old folks coming (so the number would be up there).  And we're doing the garter toss/bouquet toss.  I just don't know if I want people staring at me for two songs in  a row...
  • Options
    jfoss11336jfoss11336 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We chose to do the First dance first and then we decided to do the Father/daughter and Mother/son dance together after. This way it eliminates one dance. Then it will be open for everyone.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Um, this sounds like a lot of dancing: Traditionally, the bride and groom will be the first to dance and then the parent dances follow. The father of the bride will dance with his daughter and the groom asks his mother to join him in a dance.The groom's father then cuts in to dance with the bride and the groom dances with his new mother-in-law. Traditionally, this dance is symbolic of the groom's family welcoming the bride into his family. In the case of extended families, it may be important to have the bridal couple dance with the step-parents also.Following this, the parents dance with each other and then exchange dances with the other couple.The partner swapping continues with the best man asking the bride to dance and the groom dances with the maid or matron of honor. Finally, the entire wedding party, ushers and bridesmaids join in the festivities. Once the entire bridal party and their parents are on the dance floor, the other guests are invited to dance.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh, and I should also say that FI and I are taking dance lessons and having our first dance choreographed (as a surprise to everyone).  My dad isn't much of a dancer.  He can hold his own, but he's never taken lessons or anything.  It'll be a lot of junior high type back and forth sways I think.  So, if we do the father/daughter dance right after our our big choreographed dance, I don't want my dad to feel like he should have taken lessons or anything like that.Ok, I'll shut up now.
  • Options
    jtothelee216jtothelee216 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've always seen the father/daughter dance directly follow the first dance.  Then the mother/son dance next.  To be honest, I've never seen an anniversary dance, or if I had, just never noticed what it was.  If I had my way, the father/daugher and mother/son dance would be combined to save time.  However, I don't want to take away any of the lime light from the parents. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We did our first dance followed by the anniversary dance.  Then the DJ played music to get everyone on the dancefloor.  Around 9ish we did the father/daughter dance.  We skipped the dollar dance.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    leahluleahlu member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We plan to do our first dance, and then the father/daughter dance. Then everyone is invited out for a fast song. We aren't doing a mother/son dance or anniversary dance (never heard of these before the knot). I personally dislike doing more than 2 special dances at a time when I am a guest, I hate having to watch people dance for 20 minutes when I am antsy to get on the dance floor.
  • Options
    Bimbi284Bimbi284 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I guess it really depends on what you want. I know when I met with midwest sound, they mentioned spreading it out, but adagio seemed to prefer doing it all at once.For me personally I would just want to get all of that formal stuff outta the way so I can boogy down for the rest of the night!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards