Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul
Options

Wedding Dress

How much are you planning on spending on it? Im thinking under a grand? However I don't know. Where have you guys looked? Know anywhere with good deals (im willing to go anywhere besides Davids Bridal).
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Wedding Dress

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I didn't want to spend as much as I did...mine was just over $1000.  I got a Maggie Sottero dress during a trunk show at the Wedding Shoppe.  Because it was a trunk show I got 10% off for purchasing it then.  I know the Wedding Shoppe has a wide range of prices so you can definitely find something there under a grand.  I am with ya on the anything but DB...I am determined to avoid it for everything haha

GL with your dress search :)
    June 18, 2011 Anniversary LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I just got my dress on 1/15.  I went to Heartstrings Bridal in Hopkins.  It's maggie sottero zoe.  It was $595.10.

eta:  You get 10% if you buy the same day.
  • Options
    Sarahsue1684Sarahsue1684 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try to find out when salons are having sample sales. I got mine that didnt even looked tryed on for $300 originally $1200. Most of them there were brand new looking. On the plus side as well you get to take it home that day :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_wedding-dress-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:81Discussion:11986d82-0d79-45da-86ed-e24c2c195d0dPost:53263866-852d-4f50-9b0a-26ad6e211c50">Re: Wedding Dress</a>:
    [QUOTE]I didn't want to spend as much as I did...mine was just over $1000.  I got a Maggie Sottero dress during a trunk show at the Wedding Shoppe. Posted by kaylas16[/QUOTE]

Love Maggie Sottero! I got a Sottero Dress at the Wedding Shoppe too :) Mine was $1150 but they had lots of dresses under the $1000 mark as well. Heartstrings in Hopkins is a great place too, every dress I tried on was under $1K, a few were even under $500! They've got lots of Mori Lee, Casablancas etc - beautiful dresses but not the super hiigh $$$ designers.
  • Options
    EmilyW416EmilyW416 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Nice! I jsut went to the Wedding Shop in Crystal. The one dress I LOVED was just over 1,000. I felt so pretty in it. However the Finace got super mad when I told him. (Not what it looked like, just the cost) He thought it was too much. I still have awhile yet to look however it takes time to order um and get alterations right?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_wedding-dress-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:81Discussion:11986d82-0d79-45da-86ed-e24c2c195d0dPost:6e9c1b1c-ddc3-48bd-923f-d0668d4389d6">Re: Wedding Dress</a>:
    [QUOTE]Nice! I jsut went to the Wedding Shop in Crystal. The one dress I LOVED was just over 1,000. I felt so pretty in it. <strong>However the Finace got super mad when I told him. (Not what it looked like, just the cost) He thought it was too much</strong>. I still have awhile yet to look however it takes time to order um and get alterations right?
    Posted by EmilyW416[/QUOTE]

LoL this was your first mistake. Never tell FI how much the wedding dress is. ;) Mine would flip too but if you are paying for it then it doesn't matter. I knew what I was comfortable spending and if FI said no way I would be heartbroken!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My dress is around $550.  I absolutely love it & am going to order it in March!  I made the trek up to Little Falls, from the suburbs to go to a bridal shop named Krousey's Bridal.  I decided to go there, because it's where my sister in-law got her dress 5 years ago, & we had an awesome experience!  They've once again been great & give you a huge discount if you pay in full when you order, which I plan on doing!  = )
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My max right now is at 1,000.  But that's including alterations that will have to be done.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was totally against the David's bridal stuff too but after going to some of the top bridal stores in the twin cities (Rush's, Wedding Shoppe, heartstrings, etc, etc) my mom suggested we just 'check it out.' We went there and I found a gorgeous dress for less than $600. My parents were willing to spend $2000, but i found one i loved for so cheap that i splurged on the shoes...you know..the ones with red bottoms ;) they were more than the dress but everything was still under budget!!

Before you completely rule out DB aka the walmart of wedding dress stores... Vera Wang has a line she is selling there very soon that looks really pretty :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I actually spent around 2K for my dress and the belt (dress was around 1800) at bridal accents couture in Savage. best. place. ever.  I am selling my dress after the wedding for probably 1300-1400 afterwards though.

Ha! I built up the cost ofwedding dresses so much that by the point that I told FI that the price of mine, he said," oh, well that isn't too bad!" Little does he know! Granted- I paid for it all myself so what could he say :)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I went to the annual Bridal Gown Sale @ the convention center last October and found gown I LOVED for $299.  All dress are that much.  They have all sizes also.  My budget with alterations was set for $1,200 so I am glad to be way under that after alterations.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I paid $490 for a Mori Lee dress at the Wedding Shoppe!!!  I loved the dress first (just told her I wanted to be under $750) and then saw that it was WAY under budget....YESSSSSS
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I wanted to stay under $1000 for mine and I ended up paying exactly $1000 for it.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well since hes helping buy it, he kinda needs to know. We are on a budget for the wedding, since we are buying a house too.....Ugh! Do they do the dress thing at the convention center once a year or more? How early should i go?
  • Options
    wittyschaffywittyschaffy member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I didnt' want to spend more than 600 because I knew alterations would be expensive.  Found a dress for $450.
  • Options
    bemistobebemistobe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My dress was a sample and I bought it off the rack at Napier Bridal (now closed) in West St. Paul. Since I bought the dress "as-is" I got it for $180 -- originally $1000. It's a Maggie Sottero - Madison Marie. I love it! We figured alterations would only be a few hundred as well. I have to say I got REALLY lucky.

Good luck with your dress search - it's so much fun!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I wanted to stay under 2K. I went to a sample sale at Macy's bridal DT and got my Rivini, originally priced at over $4500, for $500! All of  the samples were $500 that day, even a Vera Wang.  It was crazy! Couldn't hurt to give them a call and inquire about their next sample sale.  Good Luck!!
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OHHH nice Martia! Thats great advice, I really need to check out these sample sales!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Mine was $500? Out of curiosity, OP, why are you so against DB?  I know they get a bad rep on the boards sometimes, but I had a great experience there.  We went to the Roseville/Har Mar location, just an FYI.  I think every store is different, and I don't think it's fair to blanket statement them like that.  Especially if you're looking to stay in a tight budget; you're limiting yourself if you refuse to check out DB.

Oh, and I'm sorry, girls... but I don't like the idea that you're not telling the FI/H how much your dress was.  Even if you're paying for it yourself, it's still part of the wedding budget that could go towards food or booze or something important to him.  That just feels selfish to me, IMO.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_wedding-dress-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:81Discussion:11986d82-0d79-45da-86ed-e24c2c195d0dPost:876d12c2-3287-42eb-82c0-246cc1ba9e4e">Re: Wedding Dress</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Well since hes helping buy it</strong>, he kinda needs to know. We are on a budget for the wedding, since we are buying a house too.....Ugh! Do they do the dress thing at the convention center once a year or more? How early should i go?
    Posted by EmilyW416[/QUOTE]

Well, that being the case then obviously he should know.

In our case my dress was not part of the Wedding Budget. It was something seperate all together. FWIW, I am also keeping all Dress details under wraps as per FI request. However, if he asked the price I wouldn't hide it either. Just something I am not going to bring up.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Mine was $575 and I think the alterations are going to bring it up another $100.

In regards to the whole telling the fiance:
    After I bought my dress FI asked me how much it was, I asked him if he wanted the exact amouth and he decided he didn't haha. So I gave him a "range" instead, $300-$600. lol he was ok with that
  • Options
    ogrady88ogrady88 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OP-I would highly recommend shopping sample sales if you are close to a sample size.  If you go that route I just advise you to inspect the sample very thoughly before you purchase the gown.  I was able to get a very nice dress that would have been very outside our budget for well within it.  I tried on dresses at a variety of places and price points and found that the biggest difference was the overall quality of the fabrics used and the comfort of the dress.  The sample sale dresses just gave me more bang for my buck.
    Steph-Just out of curiousity what would you do if it was a gift from your parents?  It isn't included in the wedding budget as it was a gift.  I don't have a problem telling FI, but also felt that it wasn't something that was necessary either.
  • Options
    tpender13tpender13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_wedding-dress-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:81Discussion:11986d82-0d79-45da-86ed-e24c2c195d0dPost:152642e8-34a1-4a50-9797-f06910bd3018">Re: Wedding Dress</a>:
    [QUOTE]Mine was $500? Out of curiosity, OP, why are you so against DB?  I know they get a bad rep on the boards sometimes, but I had a great experience there.  We went to the Roseville/Har Mar location, just an FYI.
    Posted by Steph0871[/QUOTE]

I was happy w/DB too. I went to Richfield and Maple Grove. I mean, it wasn't the greatest service, especially since I just walked in w/out an appt the day I actually bought my dress. But price was my biggest factor - I wanted under $500 including the alterations. I spent $300 that day on the dress, shoes, and a garment bag, and maybe $150 on alterations. I was happy w/it.
  • Options
    brink131brink131 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My goal was to stay under $750 for the dress. I found a Mori Lee at The Wedding Shoppe for $610! They had a whole lotta dresses in that price range to choose from though. I reccommend taking a look.
  • Options
    graysquirrelgraysquirrel member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got a Sottero & Midgley at Unique Bridal in Blaine for about $800-- that is about half off of the original price. If you're wanting to save $ and get a designer dress, I'd give Unique a shot. It isn't the usual bridal salon, but they have tons of dresses at a good discount and none of them have been pre-owned. 
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_wedding-dress-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:81Discussion:11986d82-0d79-45da-86ed-e24c2c195d0dPost:796461ab-7b96-4b81-8ca7-227f1a7474fc">Re: Wedding Dress</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was totally against the David's bridal stuff too but after going to some of the top bridal stores in the twin cities (Rush's, Wedding Shoppe, heartstrings, etc, etc) my mom suggested we just 'check it out.' We went there and I found a gorgeous dress for less than $600. My parents were willing to spend $2000, but i found one i loved for so cheap that <strong>i splurged on the shoes...you know..the ones with red bottoms ;)</strong> they were more than the dress but everything was still under budget!! Before you completely rule out DB aka the walmart of wedding dress stores... Vera Wang has a line she is selling there very soon that looks really pretty :)
    Posted by mollymcshea[/QUOTE]

I Must. See. These!  I was hoping I could afford a pair of those, but it's just not meant to be right now.

I'd only wanted to spend about $500 on my dress, but could afford $1,000.  I went to The Glass Slipper and bought my $1,000 dress for $916.  The owner gave me 10% off for paying in full when I ordered it.  I had also looked at DB, and did find a dress there I liked, but the service wasn't the greatest.  I went to the one in Richfield, and the girl helping me was okay, but when you're showing someone bridal gowns they're going to try on, it's best not to act surprised when they need help zipping them up.  Duh.  Not everyone travels with an entourage.  I really didn't want to buy from them, though, because of the whole Big-Box-Bridal-Industiral-Complex feeling I got.  It's much better to support small businesses.

I did tell my FI how much my dress was, but it honestly didn't matter anyway because he wasn't paying for it because it (nor will alterations) won't come out of our wedding general fund, so it's really none of his business. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I got a great deal on my dress. I was hoping not to spend more than 500-600 for it, because I just can't justify any more than that. I ended up finding an amazing deal at Classy Consignments Bridal in Anoka. It was a sample dress from a salon and retailed for between 1600-1800, and I got it for $325. I was pretty excited! I told my FI because I was so excited about the good deal, and he was too! :P
  • Options
    MaggieandJakeMaggieandJake member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My dress budget was $1000 including alterations and I hit that almost exactly. 

I bought my dress at a dress shop in IA (where I currently live) called "Schaffers".
    I got really lucky and found a recently discontinued Maggie Sottero (Patience) dress which was marked down to $1000.  On top of that, the store I got my dress at was doing a blow out sale on all clearance/discontinued dresses, so I got half off of that for a total of $530 including tax.  Alterations are costing me $380 for a total of $910.  I definitely couldn't be happier with my find :)
    "All that I'm after is a lifetime of laughter, as long as I'm laughing with you"
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
    Photobucket
    My Crafting Blog
    Married Bio
  • Options
    MrsBassPlayaMrsBassPlaya member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My dress was about $1700.  It was discounted since it was off the rack.  After alterations, it came out to almost exactly $2000.  I bought it in OH about 5 years ago, though.  So I can't really recommend any shops.  But at least I don't have to budget for a dress or shoes since I already have it!  :)

Although...... I haven't had a chance to try it on since I've been engaged, so hopefully it still fits.  It should, I weigh the same as I did when I bought it.  Hmmm... sounds like I should probably do that next time I have someone over to help me put it on.

So In Love

Josh and Renata's Wedding

Planning Bio

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I bought my wedding dress at the Wedding Shoppe for just over $600...and that includes the cost of the beaded belt I'll have sewn on. It's a Symphony dress that I fell in love with (http://twitgoo.com/1q0195). I'm estimating that with alterations, it'll come to about $1,000 or a little more.

I found that the Wedding Shoppe had some great deals. I was willing to spend up to $1100 on a dress but I realized you can get a beautiful dress for much less. Also, I got a 20% discount for buying the dress the day I tried it on. You have to ask for the discount though because they don't tell everyone about it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards