Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul
Options

cake suggestions?

Hello, I am back on the planning trail and was wondering if anyone could recommended a cake vendor.  My mom is in town this weekend and we would love to do some tasting!  Thanks!

Re: cake suggestions?

• Options
    mlschn06mlschn06 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Butterceam! Hands down the best cake I have had and I did not think the pricing was too bad. I have also heard good things about Queen of Cakes.
  • Options
    hkieslinghkiesling member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to a wedding once that used Cakes by Barb.  I thought it was pretty good.  Queen of Cakes also gets really good reviews on here.
  • Options
    tpender13tpender13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Woullet is the only place I've bought an actual cake from, not a wedding cake, though they are delicious.

Neither FI nor I like regular cake, so we're doing cheesecakes from Muddy Paws.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wuollets all the way!! Ok I'm a little biased since I'm a Wuollet myself but I really do love Wuollet cakes & the prices are comparable to the other major cake vendors.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I actually didn't much care for Queen of Cakes.  They all tasted like box cakes.  They were good, but nothing special.  They gave FI and I at least 8 slices each to try.  Then again, we went there immediately after tasting at Wuollet, so maybe things would have been better if we didn't show up already full.

Wuollet, if only just to eat free cake.  Make sure to try the princess torte.  It'll change your life.

Penny Steele's cakes are delicious.  She might even have more than 2 kinds for you to try since it's still kind of wedding season.

Jessica's Cakes in Minneapolis is also good.  It didn't taste as good as Penny Steele's, but it's still really good.  For our tasting, she had no less than 15 fillings and icings to try with 5 different flavors of cake.  We ended up going with her for our wedding cake.  She's really fun to work with and does everything from start to finish herself.  I don't trust places that have too many people's hands on my cake, then send them off to someone completely different to deliver them.  What if something happens in transit that the delivery person can't fix?

If you've got the budget, I hear Gateaux is fabulous.

• Options
    graysquirrelgraysquirrel member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you are on a budget, I'd suggest Grandma's Bakery in White Bear Lake. They're the cheapest that I could find and still make great looking & tasting cakes. We will be ordering from them soon. They charge about $2.75/slice of tiered cake. Places like Buttercream are amazing, but they can get upwards of $6/slice sometimes.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're getting our cake from Key's Cafe in White Bear Lake.  They were very flexible with what they could do for us flavor and design wise.  And they were cheaper than Buttercream.  We actually weren't very impressed with Buttercream.
  • Options
    Bimbi284Bimbi284 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto Woullet! We had the princess torte for our wedding and people continue to rave about it! That's actually the cake that my family has always gotten for any special occasions (b-days, anniversaries, graduations, etc), so close friends began asking us if we were having that cake before we even had a chance to taste anything anywhere else. After a lot of cake drama and trying to do something else that no one was able to do, we went with our tried and true princess torte and I couldn't be happier!!
  • Options
    MaggieandJakeMaggieandJake member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're going w/Queen of Cakes.  We had a great experience there and LOVED their cookies and cream cake!  We are also doing a layer that I requested of white cake with a raspberry jam and white chocolate ganache filling, and the 3rd, I'm not quite sure...They are extremely accomodating though and willing to make pretty much everything.  After we tried their standard sample cakes, they gave us the list of options for cake flavors and fillings and if there was anything else we wanted to try, they whipped it up for us right then-huge,massive pieces!  They also said that if we thought of any after our tasting, we could call it in and we could come in and pick it up anytime.  They were definitely there to serve us and what we wanted!

I'm extremely happy with our choice and would so far definitely recommend them.  Their prices are $3.50/slice-tiered and $1.75/slice in a sheet cake.  We get a free 6" round custom grooms cake as well, which we're going to upgrade to a 10" round.

We also did a tasting at Buttercream and were really unimpressed with their service.  They are our preferred vendor but ended up being only $20 less than QOC, venue's even without a cake cutting fee  ($3.75 /slice) and they refused to do the grooms cake my FI wants.  They don't do sheet cakes and the guy we met with was very stuck up and didn't care to meet our needs or vision of what we wanted (which is was not crazy or anything).  Even though we liked the taste of their cake, we decided based on our experience with our consultant that we'd rather give our money to a someone else.  They get a lot of business just handed to them through their "preferred vendor status" so from our standpoint, it seems as though they don't see a need to try to win over customers.  I relayed our choice and reason to our catering manager at our reception venue and she confirmed that she has heard similar reviews from other brides as well.
    "All that I'm after is a lifetime of laughter, as long as I'm laughing with you"
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
    Photobucket
    My Crafting Blog
    Married Bio
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Maggie, I totally agree with you about Buttercream.  They're the preferred vendor at our reception site, too, but even though it costs us $300 more, I'd rather give my business to pretty much anyone else that actually cares about my business.  It's the reason why we didn't go with Wuollet.  Buttercream must have a pretty sweet deal being the shoe-in pretty much everywhere.
  • Options
    debbieupperdebbieupper member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also wasn't impressed with Buttercream. I thought the service was fine, but I didn't love the frosting (and I LOOOOVE buttercream frosting!)

Here are really brief ratings and notes of where we had tastings:

Keys Cafe (in White Bear Lake)
    Rating: 5/5
    Amazing cake (pumpkin, chocolate), amazing frosting (browned butter, chocolate buttercream, whipped raspberry filling, ganache, omg yum). This is who we went with and they did a fantastic job. We got a lot of "where is this cake from? It's the best wedding cake I've ever had." Price is extremely reasonable.

Queen of Cakes
    Rating: 4/5
    Great cake, great service. Price wasn't so great, but not outrageous. They also can get really creative with their designs.

Buttercream
    Rating: 3.5/5
    Cake and frosting were good, but not even close to being what I would consider fantastic. But lots of people really love it. Price was fairly high.

McHattie's Victorian Tea House
    Rating: 4/5
    Cake was truly delicious. Very gourmet. Price was truly expensive. Plus, they're out of business now. :(

Dorothy Ann Bakery
    Rating: 2.5/5
    Good service, terrible cake. It's worse than boxed cake, if I'm being honest. They do some nice decorating and you can't beat the price, though.

Married and lovin' it!
    Our Wedding! (click.)
  • Options
    maybe984maybe984 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you're not dead-set on cake, I'd recommend the cupcakes at Cupcake. They're amazing, and much less expensive than most wedding cakes. Plus, you can buy this adorable mini-cake for cutting.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are going with Buttercream.  They cake was amazing and we had great service.  The  man at our tasting was accomodating and we were able to come up with a great design.  I thought the price was reasonable too and I love that they don't use fondant.
    We had a tasting at Key's Cafe in Fridley and was totally disappointed.  Very dry cake and the baker didn't seem to know her cake.
    We had a scheduled tasting with Penny Steele and she forgot about it, so no cake to taste and we didn't bother to reschedule....also not a fan of dummy cakes.
    We also had a tasting at Queen of Cakes and we really liked the cake and service, just not more than Buttercream.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    mmmm Penny Steele.

that is all I have to contribute.
  • Options
    MissDieselMissDiesel member
    First Comment First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Im going with JKB Cakes in Blaine. Kris and Jerome are wonderful to work with. They have great tasking cakes, candies, and other bakery items, and are reasonably priced.
  • Options
    golden1215golden1215 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sweets Treats by Jeff!!

www.sweettreatsbyjeff.com
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We went with Roseville Bakery. This bakery used to be super popular on these boards about a year ago Smile They were pretty cheap, about $450 for 245 people.

Queen of Cakes was amazing too, they have the best carrot cake I have ever had. We didn't go with them but I made DH promise me he would get me a carrot cake birthday cake from them for my birthday!
    Trying to Conceive Ticker "All that I'm after is a life full of laughter, As long as I'm laughing with you" Planning Bio image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_cake-suggestions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:81Discussion:271c3639-633e-4130-8840-39fe09514a00Post:1449a698-e6e3-4b23-a06f-31a28c2b644b">Re: cake suggestions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are going with Buttercream.  They cake was amazing and we had great service.  The  man at our tasting was accomodating and we were able to come up with a great design.  I thought the price was reasonable too and I love that they don't use fondant.
    Posted by martiac225[/QUOTE]
    Ditto. We used Buttercream, and they were awesome. The cake tasted devine, and I thought the customer service was great. They were also flexible when I changed my mind several times about our design :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you want something non-traditional, check out Coldstone! People can't stop talking about how awesome our cake was. We had a tiered wedding cake (which was gorgeous and an ice cream cake) then several flavors of the sheet cake which was served. It was yuuummmmmyyyyy!!
  • Options
    kkaew816kkaew816 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Grandma's Bakery in WBL, it was delicious and a great price, all our guests commented on how great it was!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    @ elizabethandandrew, is Cold Stone pretty reasonably priced?  Would you mind sharing how many guests you served and their per slice price?  Oh also, do they do ice cream sheets too?  I love ice cream cake!
  • Options
    amberh0515amberh0515 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had white cake with almond frosting and chocolate cake with chocolate mousse in the middle and buttercream frosting from Grandma's. People loved it and had 2 or 3 slices!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Roseville Bakery - they're awesome!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We didnt want to spend hundreds on cake so we ordered a small two tiered cake from Kowalski's in White Bear Lake just for cake cutting.  THey customized it to what we wanted for only $50.  THEN we ordered Sheet Cakes from Costco. EVERYONE was raving about the cake, thinking it was from some fancy place.  it was ALL eaten. We kept our secret well...they were only $16 each and fed 50 people. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards