Missouri-Kansas City

What are Missouri Requirements for Master of Ceremonies?

Hello, I'm a Kansas resident getting married on the Missouri side and I'm trying to find out what the requirements are for a master of ceremonies in this state.  I found this on the Jackson County website:

Marriages may be solemnized by any clergyman, either active or retired, who is in good standing with any church or synagogue in this state. Marriages may also be solemnized, without compensation, by any judge, including a municipal judge. Marriages may also be solemnized by a religious society, religious institution, or religious organization of this state, according to the regulations and customs of the society, institution or organization, when either party to the marriage to be solemnized is a member of such society, institution or organization.

But I'm not entirely sure what it means.  My fiance and I would like to have his father be the wedding officiant.  He's not a minister, but he has a Master of Divinities degree and he's been the master of ceremonies for a wedding in Illinois.  Is there a little class or certification he needs to take?  He is also not from Missouri, he's a citizen of California.  Is this even possible?  Does anyone have any information that could help me or can anyone point me in the right direction of who to ask?  I'd appreciate any help!

Re: What are Missouri Requirements for Master of Ceremonies?

  • edited December 2011
    I don't know how much this will help. 

    But my best friend got married in October in Missouri, and her husband's brother officiated the ceremony. 

    The officiant was a Kansas resident, and went to Tabor College, and is currently the Witchtia area YoungLIfe director.

    Hope this provides some insight
  • lauraf1202lauraf1202 member
    edited December 2011
    I think your FFIL can officiate with no problem, but you'll probably have to call someone at the county office to figure out what he has to do to make it legal. 

    I was in a wedding a year ago that was officiated by my friend's train-wreck older brother.  He was ordained via the internet for $45, and Jackson County accepted that.  So seriously, I have faith that it will be no problem.  :)  Congratulations, and good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards