Louisiana-Baton Rouge

Lake House Reception Center

Hi all,

I've already selected Lake House Reception Center for both ceremony and reception sites, and paid for half of the bill, so there's really no point in asking this but... Can anyone give me reviews, things they've heard, good or bad, about the Lake House on Old Hammond Hwy? I chose the venue because it is beautiful, and it seemed simple enough that they could provide catering, cake, flowers, ceremony site etc. The food and its presentation, as tasted by a friend of the family, is supposed to be amazing. The managing staff so far has been friendly when discussing my account.

Not till recently did I read the three terrible reviews it has when you google it! So, if anyone can provide any info they know I'd appreciate it. I won't change the venue this late of course, but I might learn from previous experiences what to expect, what to ask beforehand for the Day, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Lake House Reception Center

• SE+MBSE+MB member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am a Lake House bride too! My sister was actually married there 9 years ago and I have chosen the same venue for our wedding. I was pretty young then, and I don't remember too much about it. I do remember the food being delicious. Her flowers were done by the florist and she couldn't have been happier.

I am slightly annoyed because they convinced us to buy the wedding insurance BUT they didn't tell us that it can't be used for a change of heart or something similar. Our grandmothers are both really old and they have a great chance of being deathly ill at the time of our wedding. I thought that if one died 2 days before, we would be protected because we have insurance. As I was reading my policy (that I had to request because they didnt send it to me), I realized that the insurance is basically worthless. The only thing that it really covers is if one of our vendors goes out of business, we can get our deposits back. It ticks me off because they didn't mention that when we were booking.

It was only like $250 but $250 when your planning a wedding is a lot of money.

I also was extremely ticked when I viewed the venue and I wanted to book a week later and they had booked our date and time. We had to schedule on a Sunday and I didn't really want to. If I could go back, I wouldn't have booked it yet because I know that the Sunday would still be open. I only viewed Lakehouse but I wish I had shopped around more. It was a good price, but its not the wedding that I wanted.
  • edited December 2011
    My future mother-in-law has dealt with this type of insurance and its deceptive nature so she told me to decline it. I was going to get it too, because you never know what will happen, so I know how you feel. Sorry about that. But hey, at least we'll have good pictures! IF it doesn't rain... AHHhh. 

Good luck and thanks!
  • SE+MBSE+MB member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I love my photographer. I love how easy the "back up" plan would be if it rains. Just bring everything inside!

I did read in the contract that the standard set up for most events includes seating for 100 guests. We booked for 100 guests so hopefully there is enough seating.

Did you get to sample their cakes? I really want to use them because their prices are the best around. I really hope they let me do a cake testing.

Where are you getting dressed? They only allow 1 hour before the event in the bridal dressing room, and that's not enough time for hair and makeup (if we chose to do on-location hair and makeup). I was thinking about renting a hotel for that day because I live about an hour away.
  • edited December 2011

Hey! I haven't tasted their cakes, sadly no... and I live in Chicago so I won't be able to. But I've heard that they're great. And they look very nice too.

And yes I think 100 was standard inside, but if more come they'll be able to sit people outside, remember? They have that HUGE balcony.

I'm getting dressed at a relative's house in Baton Rouge. Same thing here, I'm traveling from Hammond which is a bit of a distance away so I didn't want to get dressed there. Luckily an aunt graciously allowed me + bridesmaids to get ready at her house. It should be fun! Stressful but fun!

All the best :))
    johi

• edited December 2011
    My wedding is already booked for the Lake House this October.
    i too read the reviews on Google and was appalled and now i am full of anxiety. I researched the company on BBB and found they had only 1 complaint within the past 36 months.
    I am a little discouraged however, i am an optimistic person and want to believe that my event will go smoothly without any major dissappointments.
    I have not encountered any problems as of yet, and so far, i have been mailed my dj music selection but no contract. I was told i would receive a copy via email. i have yet to recieve it.
    i will be making a phone call monday asap to request it be sent to me. i don't expect any trouble. fingers crossed.
  • SE+MBSE+MB member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Did you use the DJ that they recommended? We are using them too.

When we got the wedding insurance through Lake House, they said they would send me the contract via email but they didn't. I email them about it and they sent it right away. I think they just forgot.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards