Louisiana-New Orleans
Options

Oceana Grill on Kitchen Nightmares

We're in NOLA checking out rehersal dinner sites, and we stopped in at Oceana. I asked our waiter if I could talk to the manager about having a private party. The waiter came back and said the manager was swamped; they were going to be filming Kitchen Nightmares at Oceana on 1/23, but to call him in a week or so. I'd never heard of Kitchen Nightmares before, so I looked it up when I got home. The show's website said...

World-renowned chef Gordon Ramsay is back for a third course of the ultimate restaurant revival show where he steps out of his own five-star establishments and travels the country visiting some of the most unsanitary and unsuccessful restaurants in America. For many, Ramsay is their last chance to help turn around their businesses or else they'll be forced to close their doors forever

AHHH! There have been lots of good reviews for Oceana on this board, and I thought the food was good, and there was a good crowd there. But I don't think I better book a party there right now!

Re: Oceana Grill on Kitchen Nightmares

• Options
    phunluvin82phunluvin82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I watch Kitchen Nightmares all the time!!  I got hooked on it when we still got BBC, and now I watch it online.  My FI found out about this filming and got us a table during the filming!!  We are going on Monday, lol!

He had to contact someone from the show to get the seats, and we have no idea if we'll be there pre-Gordon Ramsey's intervention, or after he's whipped the place into shape...so it could be a very interesting dinner...

It was hilarious b/c FI works right down the street from Oceana, but he'd never heard of it before this (we've never been before).  When he told me what restaurant it was, I said, "Oh my god, I know that place from The Knot!!"  (To which he replied, "What's The Knot?"...hello, the wedding message boards that I'm always on!)
  • Options
    Kate504Kate504 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Kind of grosses me out thinking I ate there the other weekend and they are going to be on that show and how bad some of those restaurants are that make it on that show.

The food was pretty good though.

The redfish my sister had was really good and they had a lot of people there. The crab cakes were good as well.
    BFP #1 6/18/2012 // EDD 2/28/2013 // Birthdate 2/7/2013

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah...I thought it was a little odd when my FI told me it was Oceana b/c I've only ever heard good things about it on this board!  I'll have to post after we go tomorrow & let y'all know what happens!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hmmm...this is currently one of our top choices for rehearsal dinner, after having heard only good things here!

Never been, so please do tell what ya'll discover! We won't be able to visit till we are in town in a month.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I used to work very close to Oceana and ate there all the time. The food is great and the people are great too. To say that any restaurant is completely spotless is bull. If the premise of the show is to go to unsanitary and unsuccessful restaurants, they why are they going to Oceana??? The place is always busy and I've NEVER had a problem with the food, nor has anyone I know that's eaten there. If you ask me, the owners are just looking to get their name out to a broader audience... 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    hollybee92hollybee92 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had our RD there & it was fabulous! We eat there everytime we're in NOLA, too! I even brought my wedding planner there for dinner one night before the wedding. I agree with the broader audience comment. They are doing a huge brand makeover
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    on conti?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well, I have my reception dinner already booked there for March.  We recently ate there and have absolutely no complaints!!! The food and the service was excellent! The place was very busy and WWL radio station was there doing a Saints pregame show.  I have not heard or read any negative comments about Oceana and have been very pleased with our experiences dealing with their staff. I still look forward to having my reception dinner there!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes, on Conti
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Holy Moly.  I've already moved my rehearsal dinner to Oceana after having a bad experience with Ralph and Kacoo's.  I sure hope they are doing more of a makeover versus terrible food and service.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ok...my verdict after going to the filming:

We were not crazy about the food and thought it was mediocre at best.  I will admit that we were obviously pre-disposed to thinking it wouldn't be good just b/c of the fact that it was on the show.  We also purposefully ordered the things that sounded the most complex.  I will say that I thought the oysters were fine, although my FI didn't like the sauce on them, but I thought the sauce was fine.  Overall, I'm thinking maybe it's a better place for po-boys and fried seafood and those types of menu options, than for pasta and duck and the stuff that we ordered.  The service was good and the french fries were good!

An acquaintance told us that it used to be a great place and he used to eat there for lunch every single day until it became under new management and/or new ownership and he said things went downhill after that.  I don't know the timeline of when that was...

Anyway, I don't want to offend anyone or anything...just giving my honest opinion.  However, I would love to go back once Gordon gets through there and see/taste the changes that he makes!  If you are someone who has a dinner booked there, I wouldn't be too worried...b/c whatever issues they had, Gordon will have whipped them into shape!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards