Louisiana-New Orleans

Out of State Officiant in NOLA??

Hello Everyone -

I live in Los Angeles and would like my minister to perform the wedding ceremony in New Orleans. I know that this can be done but I have been having the worst time getting someone on the phone to guide me on what needs to be done. Can someone PLEASE advise who I can talk to in the Orleans Parish that would actually return my phone call? This is starting to worry me.

Re: Out of State Officiant in NOLA??

• edited December 2011
    I have no helpful information to give you really, but I just wanted to let you know I tried researching the same thing and got no where. 

We ended up reluctantly searching out a professional officiant and were so happily surprised when we met Rev. John Zimmer.  He is doing our ceremony next spring and we both really like him.  He's sweet, reasonable and personable.  Plus, my favorite part is that he is open to mentioning God, not mentioning Him at all, or what he calls "bobbing and weaving" God through the ceremony, which is what we ended up doing.  Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    We have an officant out of state marrying us.  He is coming in from AR. He contacted the clerk of court and they sent him the link with all the forms he needs to fill out and gave him the info on what to bring with him.  Hope this helps!
    Pregnancy Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Ditto to PP; it is actually fairly easy to do, especially if your chosen person is already a minister of any faith.  We are getting married in 6 months and having my uncle do the ceremony.  He is not a minister, but all he has to do is get ordained online.  Then, you just have to fill out a form from the clerk of courts which basically just notifies them that you are an out-of-state minister and will be performing the ceremony.  You have to show proof of ordination, and that is it!  Like PP said, the clerk of courts is very helpful, but I think also if you do a search on this board, there was a prior thread about it as well with good info.  Good luck!!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    it seems pretty easy for parish's such as jefferson but i am getting married in the orleans parish. their website is not that easy to navigate to find out who to contact and where to get the forms.
    By the way, which organization did your uncle get ordained with online?
  • edited December 2011
    it seems pretty easy for parish's such as jefferson but i am getting married in the orleans parish. their website is not that easy to navigate to find out who to contact and where to get the forms.
    By the way, which organization did your uncle get ordained with online?
  • edited December 2011
    We live in Orleans parish and went to the office in Benson Tower so I'm not much help as far as contact info.  I know someone has posted this link before that has some helpful information with the location and phone numbers for 2 offices.  Hope it helps you out.

http://www.figstreet.com/guesthouse/new_orleans_marriage_license.htm
  • edited December 2011
    @Brklyn2LA: my uncle is getting ordained through Universal Life. There are quite a few different sites, and I don't think it matters which one you use as long as they will provide you with proof of ordination.  I attached a PP below that really helped me.  We are having a small (50 people) initmate destination wedding and just didn't want someone we didn't know marrying us.  We are going to NOLA in a few weeks to finalize wedding plans and are going to go to the Orleans parish office just to make sure we are doing everything we need to do.  I'll let you know if I hear anything differently when we go!

This is reposted from part of saiyingpun's post.  Search "friend as officiant" for original post:

Our friend is marrying us in 6 weeks. We had him ordained online from the Universal Life Church. When we were in town in March we spoke with the marriage license office and they said it is legal and okay. After your friend is ordained you have to register him with the Office of Vital Records. 

Below is a copy of an email with instructions from them:

To officiate over the ceremony, he would have to register his license with the Office of Vital Records. They require by mail a copy of the ordination certificate, a copy of a valid driver's license or passport, and a notarized officiant registration affidavit. I have pasted of copy of the link to the registration affidavit for your convenience. The mailing address is Office of Vital Records, Attn: Marriage Office P.O. Box 60630, New Orleans, LA 70160. If you have any further questions I would suggest you call that office directly. The number to Vital Record's Marriage Office is (504)593-5116 and the website is www.dhh.louisiana.gov. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance. www.dhh.louisiana.gov/offices/miscdocs/docs-252/Marriage/Officiant%20Registration%20Affidavit.pdf
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards