Louisiana-New Orleans

Help! OOT Bride needs Cake Advice

Please help!  I'm scheduling a tasting for next month and need to determine where to schedule a tasting.  I've read great things about Flour Power and their faux gateau, but also want to schedule at Haydel's or Gambino's.  Royal Cakery is a bit too expensive.  Any insight on whether I should schedule at Haydel's or Gambino's?  I know they are about on par for price, but what about taste?  Any help is appreciated!

Re: Help! OOT Bride needs Cake Advice

• We went with Royal Cakery, but I've heard great things about Flour Power.
  • I got my cake from Flour Power and it was amazing.  We originally had scheduled an appointment at Haydel's, but canceled it after our tasting.  With the faux gateaux, the price was only slightly higher for Flour Power and there was more selection.  We ended up getting the White Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake and Red Velvet for Groom's cake.  Ronda was also super nice to work with.

I also didn't like how all of the tiers on Haydel's cakes are very wide and not tall.  They didn't look proportional.  If you look up pictures, you will see what I mean.  FWIW, several people who have ordered from Haydel's have mentioned that the cake is much better at the wedding than it is at the tasting.
  • Thanks ladies I appreciate you feedback.  Very helpful!
  • In Haydel's defense, their cakes have gotten much better and if you specifically tell them you want thicker layers, and give them a photo, they will do it.  Their cakes are definitely better than Gambino's, but certainly not as great as Royal Cakery and Flour Power.  GL!
  • Read back through all of the reviews on here and you will see the same thing over and over about Haydel's...tasting nothing to write home about, but the actual wedding cake is great. Also, if you want the more traditional proportional layered look, you will have to pay extra for triple layers, but their prices are reasonable to begin with. Worth checking out IMO.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • RYLZRYLZ member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Definitely don't judge Haydel's based on the tasting--which almost makes it pointless to go (I certainly wish we hadn't bothered trekking out there by taxi).  We chose them on the basis of price (almost half the quote from Royal-- though Royal was DELISH!), and their ability to do our custom color and design.  For that, I found them totally worth it and our cake tasted 200 hundred times better than at the tasting :-)

• We went with Gambino's.  We tasted it on 3 different occasions, and it was consistent.  We went with silver (their traditional wedding cake flavor) and it was exactly what we were looking for.  Their price was better than many others, and we liked how it tasted.  Hope that helps!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I also went with Gambinos. I LOVED their cake tasting. And they were able to do the flavors and designs that we wanted. The plus is that they are very reasonably priced. 

I thought Royal Cakery was overpriced, rude and not the best cake. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We went with Haydel's. The price could not be beat and we were satisfied with the tasting.

I think which bakery you choose really depends on what you are looking for in a cake. I don't remember the cake from a single wedding I've been to, so for me personally, that wasn't an area where I felt like I wanted to spend a significant amount of money. So, price was more important to me than aesthetics or a wide selection of flavors. If you are more interested in a highly customized cake, then the bakery that is the right choice for you may be different from what I was looking for.

It was my understanding that Haydel's only offers one flavor of wedding cake, but you can choose different flavored fillings. I may be wrong on that, though.
  • i know you didn't ask, but I found an amazing girl whose cakes are wonderful. Her name is Megan Foucheaux and her website is www.cakedesignsbymeg.com. She is very reasonable and for what i want she is doing my wedding cake and grooms cake for 500
  • Try La Louisiane...we are going with them after being disappointed with the sticker shock at Royal Cakery.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards