New York-Hudson Valley
Options

Help Finding Affordable Venue?

Hello,
My FI and I plan to start looking at venues after the holidays. I have a few that look promising, one being Round Hill. However, I'm having trouble finding places that I like/fit what I'm looking for and still fit in our budget, which is approximately $95pp (before taxes and gratuity). I don't know if it's just that I'm not looking at the right places, or am expecting too much for our budget. We want someplace where we can have a ceremony outside, with pretty flowers or greenery as part of the backdrop. Ideally I'd like an outdoor or tented reception, but am fine doing an indoor reception as well. However, I'd like to stay away from the more traditional ballroom/catering hall type of place. I love the idea of a barn reception, but that's a little too "rustic" for FI. So we're trying to find a happy medium, someplace like Onteora House (which we both like, but is out of our price range). Since I live in Brooklyn and am only familiar with certain parts of the Hudson Valley, I thought I'd turn to you lovely ladies for some suggestions that might fit my criteria, either in Westchester or the lower Hudson Valley?

Thanks for any help!

Re: Help Finding Affordable Venue?

• Options
    kristinanddankristinanddan member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Since you want to get married outside, that pretty much puts you at peak wedding season. Are you willing to have your wedding on a Friday or Sunday? That would help keep prices down, but I think you will be able to find a number of venues for 95pp before tax and gratuity.

I'm having trouble coming up with venues that offer tented receptions other than the Grandview in Poughkeepsie. I believe that would be at or over your budget though.

Is a winery too rustic?

The ceremony area is outside, but your reception would be inside but I'll recommend our reception hall anyway - The Clubhouse at Patriot Hills in Stony Point.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Initially, I was going to post my standard "around $100" post, but then when I saw you didn't want the traditional places, I continued reading.

There is only one place that I can think of that has exactly what you are looking for:

Hollowbrook Golf Club in Cortlandt Manor.

They are outstanding!

Robbyn the coordinator  would be like your own personal planner! And the place is beautiful and has a rustic/ lodge-type feel! (But not completely rustic, so your FI should be happy)

Definitely, definitely check them out!

http://www.golfhollowbrook.com/sites/courses/custom.asp?id=923&page=52664

(We didn't have our wedding here, but it ended up in our top 7!)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-hudson-valley_finding-affordable-venue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:113Discussion:049f90f7-f8c0-4a46-b669-922dc0297b4aPost:cbbb510e-ed4c-4cf2-85ac-ecac8836c175">Re: Help Finding Affordable Venue?</a>:
    [QUOTE] The ceremony area is outside, but your reception would be inside but I'll recommend our reception hall anyway - The Clubhouse at Patriot Hills in Stony Point.
    Posted by kristinanddan[/QUOTE]

This exactly.

They also have a sister site in Orange County, but that may be too far.  I believe that property is slightly less expensive than PH.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    wdubin122wdubin122 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Locust Tree Inn in New Paltz may be perfect for you.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am getting married here www.latriestina.net and the ceremony will hopefully be outside if the weather is nice and the wedding in the huge tent they have. There aren't tons of flowers but the prices for the food are so cheap you can always add all the flowers you want with your florist. You can decorate it any way you want I was told by the owner. =)
    Part of That World Blog
    my read shelf:Jennifer (JSweetieXO) Cepero's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the suggestions ladies! I will definitely look into all of these.

@Kristin, no a winery wouldn't be too rustic. We've actually been throwing that idea around. We'd like to look into Warwick Winery, which also makes Doc's Cider- my fave! :)  Their web site gives very little info about weddings/pricing though. Anyone have any experience with them?

I truly appreciate all your input. If anyone has any other suggestions, keep 'em coming :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Brotherhood winery (but don't know about their pricing).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    hollow brook is ok....but am getting married at the mansion at colonial terrace in cortlandt manor.  its not your typical place but great rates...
  • Options
    ssagessage member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Links at Union Vale...there is no tent but you can have your ceremony outside.....beautiful views, great food and they have a bunch of packages in your price range!!!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Bear Mountain Inn might work for you. 

I'm not sure about tents but I it's not too expensive and has beautiful views.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Since a lot of golf courses seem to be getting mentioned, I'll add ours! We had our reception at Putnam National Golf Club. It's one of the places Jean Jacques does the catering.

http://www.jean-jacques.com/catering_venues.htm

They did an amazing job and the food was wonderful!

But, the places on their list that I posted above are more estate-like - so I'm not sure if that's what you are looking for. But figured I'd post I'd post our reception hall anyway!

Have fun on your venue search!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I looked here.... http://www.westparkwinery.com/...we LOVED it, but we had too many people than they could fit. They have a gorgeous hill that overlooks the hudson where you can get married, then when you come down after getting married they can do cocktail hour outside on their grounds and the wedding can be inside the winery or in their tent. Their chef's are also CIA intstitute people. We ended up booking at the Grandview and are doing their tent.

Good luck!!
  • Options
    jennikristenjennikristen member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I see you mentioned the Round Hill House... Have you gone to look at it or plan too? FI and I looked at it over the summer. The food was great but I didn't like the venue. Def go look at places as they all look great on their websites!
  • Options
    nic9911nic9911 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

im on the hudson valley board, i live in orange county, but i am getting married in the pocono's (pa). we checked out stroudsmore inn. they have a rustic site and some not so much. they actually have 4 sites and it runs about 100 per person, before tax and grat. and bc they are an inn they have hotels for your guest.  while we loved stroudsmoore inn we are actually getting married at skytop lodge (kind of more traditional)

imagetotes-your call/
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards